PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450R will not start. Need some ideas...

BlasterBTW
02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Ok boys and girls..... I didn't see the gas light and ran her dry . Got it back to the pit, filled it up. Wouldn't start. I cycled the pump a few times by turning the key on /off. Started up and died in a few seconds. Finally it ran after a few tries. Ran well for 4-5 laps (ten minutes or so) next thing you know it dies. Start it up, dies in a few seconds. It got progressively worse. Wouldn't start without a little throttle, and when it did it would only run a few seconds. Now I'm at the point where it doesn't start at all. Its obviously not getting fuel. I checked the simple things - dirt in plugs, main fuel hose on the tank, the pump is working. It seems electrical to me. Doesnt really seem like anything is clogged. Any chance this thing threw a code that must be cleared by a dealer's computer?? I didn't get much of a chance to work on it yet, so I need some ideas fellas! Help me out!
Thanks!
Bryan

jersey devil
02-09-2009, 08:51 AM
If you are talking about the new 09 450r then you have a 6 month warranty??Take it to the dealer.

Ride1Rob
02-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Seems your probably going to have to take it to the dealership. That is probably going to equal.... $ I don't think it's anything serious. Like you said something may need to be reset. But these dealers can make a simple job into a whole topend rebuild lol. That's one of the main reasons why I love my carb ;) .

BlasterBTW
02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Yes, I probably will end up doing that....... There are alot of great minds on this forum, I'm just looking for some ideas. It may take forever at the dealer and I don't have time for that :ermm:

Flynbryan19
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
You have gotten an air pocket in your fuel system. How to solve that.....not sure. That is the problem though. It sounds like the system needs primed to remove the air pocket.

400grl
02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Either that or you might have plugged up or pinched your breather tube that comes off the gas cap? It's an easy check, anyway......

Dirtblast
02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
You can disconnect negative side of battery to reset the computer.

miles Machine
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Try cleaning the injector it may have gunk in it, like the LTR's do sometimes. they hang up and loose pressure. Common signs of this is that your oil has a gas smell, oil level is high, and the oil is thin.

BlasterBTW
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Ok so today I tore her apart. Cleaned the throttle body, injector, and everything else that has to do with fuel delivery. None of it was very dirty execpt the air intake side of the TB. Disconnected the neg wire on the battery to reset the computer. Checked the gas vent hose (clean). Put it all back together, primed the system by turning the key 6-7 times. It will not start with just the start button alone. With a slight tap of the throttle it starts up, idles for about 3-4 seconds and is shut off - with the engine light blinking. Now by shutting off, I mean it doesn't die. It gets shut off. It doesn't matter what RPM's or if I'm moving the throttle, it gets shut off. I'm 95% sure this is something electrical. I suppose I'll have to take it to the dealer and have them put the computer on it. Any more ideas? :confused:

jersey devil
02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
What is it you are waiting for?TAKE it to the dealers!ITS FREE!!!
All the time you are beating your self up as the days go by it could have been running by now?

BlasterBTW
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Because......... The full time mechanic is at training in Georgia and will not be back until later this week.

So.... instead of me taking it out there and it just sitting collecting dust. I don't consider it beating myself up. I'd rather try to learn as much as possible about this machine as I can. That way, when the 6 months are up, I can fix it myself. :D

Ride1Rob
02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by BlasterBTW
Because......... The full time mechanic is at training in Georgia and will not be back until later this week.

So.... instead of me taking it out there and it just sitting collecting dust. I don't consider it beating myself up. I'd rather try to learn as much as possible about this machine as I can. That way, when the 6 months are up, I can fix it myself. :D

VERY SMART MAN ;) . Be careful though! Some stealerships, I mean dealerships will try to say it's something that you did if they look in there and see that you've tampered with something. Hell, most will try to say it's something you did anyway just so they won't have to do the work for free.

jersey devil
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Good point there!All these dealerships wether quads,bikes or cars are always looking for a way out.So be careful you put everything back the way it was.Might be better off not telling them you checked anything.If a tab or something is broke they will stick it to you.
Hey I can respect you wanting to learn.We all been there.Just sometimes being the goodguy and trying to fix yourself when a warranty is on it can come back at you.
Good luck and ride hard!

miles Machine
02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
"most will try to say it's something you did anyway just so they won't have to do the work for free"

Not true if its under warranty and they cover it under warranty, meaning that yamaha or whoever gave them permission they get payed by yamaha or whoever the company is

Ride1Rob
02-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by miles Machine
"most will try to say it's something you did anyway just so they won't have to do the work for free"

Not true if its under warranty and they cover it under warranty, meaning that yamaha or whoever gave them permission they get payed by yamaha or whoever the company is

Why did I get screwed on my wiring harness on my YFZ when it went to craps. I still ended up paying $105 out of my pocket because they said the wires had been tampered with. That tells me they were paid by myself and Yamaha through the warranty. Stealerships lol. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good dealerships out there. But there are more that are out to screw you as the customer. They make their money through their service and apparel depts. Anyone ever do their first service through the dealership? When I got my YFZ back in Feb of 04 they were charging over $300. I never took it to them.

miles Machine
02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
"Why did I get screwed on my wiring harness on my YFZ when it went to craps. I still ended up paying $105 out of my pocket because they said the wires had been tampered with. That tells me they were paid by myself and Yamaha through the warranty. Stealerships lol. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good dealerships out there. But there are more that are out to screw you as the customer. They make their money through their service and apparel depts. Anyone ever do their first service through the dealership? When I got my YFZ back in Feb of 04 they were charging over $300. I never took it to them"

If that's the case and you know they got payed by Yamaha and you payed, they can get in deep ****, i worked at a Yamaha dealership. Call Yamaha up and ask for the warranty info for you atv, have them fax it to you, and if the dealer ship applied for the warranty and received it, then take that to the dealership and dispute your charges.

the only thing that seems weird is that you knew about this and you didn't say any thing dosn't sound to smart on your part.

Ride1Rob
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
You think??? Have you ever heard of someone taking their car/bike to a shop and being quoted one price and when they go to pick it up it's a totally different price. Not much you can do as a consumer other than pay it, take them to small claims court, and hope for the best. I don't know what Yamaha's process is on their warranty work nor do many other consumers. You know bc you worked for a dealership. If not, I'm sure you would have the the same pissed off look on your face that I had and paid the money to get your bike back. Especially after it had been sitting up there for more than a month to change the damn harness. Hence, why I did get smart and now do EVERYTHING on my bike from changing oil to complete motor rebuilds. My motor is torn apart now because of tranny issues and I'm saving myself around $2500 by not having the stealership touch it :D . Now that's being smart :devil: .

As far as calling Yamaha for anything. I have just as much faith in them as I do most these dealerships. I've personally called them about the cracking swingarm issues and was told, "We haven't heard of that problem". There were guys all around the nation calling Yamaha about this and the wristpen failure issues as well. Constantly, "We haven't heard of that problem". Check YFZ Central and do a search for cracked swingarm or wristpen failure and you'll see :mad: .

mxraptor149
02-11-2009, 08:06 PM
This thread seems to have gotten a bit off track, albeit a good discussion ... but, as a potential YFZ450R owner, I want to know what the problem was!

Please update us when you find out or solve the problem. :)

BlasterBTW
02-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Problem is solved. Turns out the rollover sensor was messed up. I had siliconed it so the pendulum would not turn over, therefor would allways let me restart upon a rollover. Somehow the pendulum defied the silicone by turning, and would not let the bike run.

I did think about this while checking out the bike, but ruled it out since the bike would actually start and then shut off. With the suzuki, the bike would just crank and crank, not start at all. Also, I hadn't rolled the bike over for it to activate!

So.... all in all..... things are good, and my YFZR runs again! Thanks to everyone for their imput and ideas! :D

Ride1Rob
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Sweet man! Glad that you were able to figure it out.

ccrider24
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Awesome, I was watchin' this thread to see what the problem was/is. i was thinkin it was that too, but I thought surely you have heard about those things. I am going to pick mine up on Saturday, i will give a ride report as well.

Thanks for the info
CCRIDER

quadracer34
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
where is this rollover sensor located?
you siliconed it so that if it did roll over you wouldnt have any problems with it not starting?
im interested in this, i'll be racing mx with mine and should prolly do the same mod it sounds like!

BlasterBTW
02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
The rollover sensor is located at the back of the bike, behind the airbox, on the underside of the battery. Take the black plastic tailpeice off that covers up your electronics. Its the small black box that is held in with 2 small allen head bolts. Inside is a plastic pendulum attached to a circut board. Take it off, but be careful not to turn the sensor or flip it over, you want to be sure the pendulum stays in the correct place. After you have it apart, super glue or silicone it fast. This way, if you roll the bike over, it will never sense it. So you can start the bike right back up.

In some instances, the rollover sensor is good, shutting the bike off upon rollover. But as I learned the hard way on my old suzuki, it can mean the difference between a few places in a moto. I rolled the machine, didn't know that you had to turn the key off/on to reset the computer, ended up losing 4 spots!

quadracer34
02-14-2009, 02:59 PM
oh i see, interesting. so if i was to not do this mod and happen to roll it over during a race as long as i turn the key on/off it resets the computer and should start.
this sensor only does this if it goes all the way over or will putting it on its side trip it as well?

BlasterBTW
02-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes, You are correct. I'm not sure at what angle it tells the computer that the bike has flipped. It may do it even if you just lay the bike on it's side, or maybe it has to make a complete rotation. I'm really not sure. :confused:

griffin32
02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
a kfx will do it if it flips on its side but my yfzr looped out nd i didnt have to reset it so im not for sure

WarBirdMech
02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
are you getting a number code with your flashing engine light? the dealer just has to hook up the FI diag tool. even if the main tech is out a trained monkey can do it.

it wont start when the ECU detects abnormal signals from the CPS, TPS, Lean angle sensor (shorted or vehicle overturned) ignition coil, injector(shorted), or the ECU has a memory check error. any other faults the machine will usually run, not well, but run.

CPS code-12
TPS code-15
Lean angle sensor (short) code-41
Lean angle sensor (overturned) code-30
ignition coil code-33
injector code-39
ECU memory code-50

WarBirdMech
02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
since you're getting the flashing engine light and its when the start button is pushed. you have either a
12 , 30, 41 , or 50 code

BlasterBTW
02-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks, but I figured out the problem a few posts up. Rollover sensor. :cool:

WarBirdMech
02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
lol oops. must have been the one post i skipped over. nice work :cool:

quadracer34
02-15-2009, 06:17 PM
how much do one of these diagnostic tools cost? sounds like it wouldnt be a bad idea to have one with you at the track.
unfortunatly the dealer i just bought my yfzr from just went out of business so i wont be able to take it back there to get fixed!!

BlasterBTW
02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
They probably cost more than your quad did.... :ermm: :blah:

quadracer34
02-15-2009, 06:49 PM
d@mn lol i was hoping it would be something simple and cheap like my OBD II scan tool for my truck!

miles Machine
02-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Idk how much they are but i dont think they would be mondo money because there just a little cheapy hand held with a display

WarBirdMech
02-16-2009, 11:30 PM
according to the service manual this is the part number for the tool 90890-03182

K&L number YU-03182

i looked it up on Parts Manager an couldn't find it.
maybe someone else has better luck?