PDA

View Full Version : Alternating Headlights? anyone ever try doing it?

tri5ron
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
just wondering if anyone has tried to add on a Alternating Headlight flasher control box to their bike?
Similar to what is used on emergency vehicles.

The idea here is for those of us who ride open desert, XC, woods, trail, etc. (Basically anything other than on a track).

Where we ride, it is a criss-cross of open desert trails, with bushes ranging from 2' to 9' tall, can get pretty dusty, other riders going in all directions, and can get fairly dangerous when it gets really packed with riders.

I am thinking that using a Alternating Headlight Flasher during daytime riding might make it more noticiable and conspicious, when heading down a dusty trail, and possibly avoid going head on with on-coming riders.

I've had a couple of close calls, mostly with a on-coming 2 wheeler who is flying through the whoops, coming straight at me, when neither of us realized the other was there, due to dust, and trying to watch what we are doing.

the control box that I am looking at flashes the headlights left to right to left, at a rate of almost 2 times per second like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330305024299&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

what do you guys think about this?
good or bad idea?
do you forsee any electrical issues/problems with using it on a quad?

slither
02-08-2009, 11:30 PM
could be a good idea, there is only one way to find out though try it and see

05LSR250R
02-09-2009, 05:56 AM
That riding area sounds sketchy at best! Definitely try the lights. Might want to run a 9' flag on that quad. I hit a dirt bike! We were both wide open. The guy tried moving but hit the rear tire. Dude was jacked up really bad. As for me , it ruined my tire, rim and literally bent my axle a good 2" back. I suffered no injuries.