PDA

View Full Version : Loose part on rear axle

CJM
02-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I dont know the name of it, but its a large nut looking thing on the side of the rear axle with the brake assembly on it.

It is loose enough to move around by hand and here a click click.

Also my rear hubs were loose so i tightened them, should they be really right or like wheel bearings nuts on a car-tight then backed off a wee bit?

rob_990
02-08-2009, 04:19 PM
i tighten my rear hubs tight cause they always come loose and is the nut your talking about to the right of the brakes or is it in between the swinger and brakes?

CJM
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
i tighten my rear hubs tight cause they always come loose and is the nut your talking about to the right of the brakes or is it in between the swinger and brakes?

Its to the right of the brakes, on the side of the bike with the throttle.

Originally posted by 300maniac
You want your rear wheel hub nuts to be very tight. Hit them with an impact!!

Ah ok they are tight now, I used my snap on cordless 1/2 impact.

born2ride14
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
You want your rear wheel hub nuts to be very tight. Hit them with an impact!!

Homerx
02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I dont know the name of it, but its a large nut looking thing on the side of the rear axle with the brake assembly on it.

It is loose enough to move around by hand and here a click click.

Also my rear hubs were loose so i tightened them, should they be really right or like wheel bearings nuts on a car-tight then backed off a wee bit?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350

This should help you. GL

CJM
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Yea, its that large nut thing shown in the pictures that loose.

So I suppose there is something wrong then. I copied the picture of the one in that thread to further clarify what the issues is.

the item labeled 2 is where they have threads, mine has alot more threads sticking out, actually about 1/2 inch of threads..

the item labeled one i can physically shake a bit and it clicks back and forth as i move it. It has some play.

Do I need new bearings?

Homerx
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
They tend to back off for some people. Just back the one labeled 1 out towards the wheel, then back number 2 up against it. They are reverse threaded so keep that in mind when done properly you WILL have several threads showing between the rotor and the two nuts. GL

CJM
02-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Ah ok, ill do that when I get a chance.

Homerx
02-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ah ok, ill do that when I get a chance.

Just back #1 out enough to keep the axel tight in the bearings. It backs up agains the visible locking ring.

CJM
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I think I got it right, I didnt have large wrenches that size so i used a very large pair of channel locks.

Its super tight now..

Thanks for the help..