PDA

View Full Version : Clutch basket?

5852jake
02-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Has anyone had to replace their clutch basket. Mine broke yesterday and im looking for insight on what aftermarket brands most people are using. Thanx

CashCrew
02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Give Motoworks a call 951-587-9222.

5852jake
02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
When I took it apart I also found the clutch hub nut finger loose. The torque is supposed to be 74ft lbs. Kinda scary.

jlrenken
02-08-2009, 05:07 PM
hinson makes a good one too

Mr. Big Time
02-08-2009, 10:20 PM
motoworks is cheaper and just as good. I'd go with them. As for the 74 ft lbs, make sure that not 74 in lbs, I've made that kinda mistake before, with other things.

andiboy123
02-09-2009, 05:30 AM
go an get a hinson one, mine broke one month of buying my ds, lubrication with the stock basket is not good and the material of it is worst, they said they fix the problem with the 09 model but go safe , go hinson.... is just $239 and its better than baraking your engine....

5852jake
02-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Im positive about the 74ft lbs with lock tight. There wasn't any lock tight applied. I have the service manual from can am. You would think they would put a lock nut on it or groove the shaft to use a fold over washer. Kinda an important part.

TNT
02-09-2009, 07:26 AM
That loose hub may have broke your basket. Who replaced the clutch last and did your run stock oil and keep it adjusted? Is yours a 08 they have a bad loose design.....Every time the clutchs are replaced the nut gets retorqued to 75 ft lbs, Id use RED lock tight and that doesnt matter what clutch name you run.

The 09 adds another plate, adds more oiling in the cover, increases the hub depth, rounds the corners of the plates so they don't bind on the hub and cause the basket to fail.....there is alot more than just replaceing the basket needed to make this installation work properly.

5852jake
02-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Its an '08 and the clutch has never been replaced nor has the cover ever been off. The loose hub nut definitely caused the basket to break. The nut most likely vibrated loose. Like I said earlier, before it broke I kept having to adjust the clutch cable. This is when the nut was loosening. I run mobil 1 motorcycle oil. The bike is at the dealer. They took pictures and have to show Can am to see if they will cover it. They are talking about putting '09 parts on it for free depending on what can am says.

TNT
02-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I think it's amazing you got that clutch life and it didn't happen earlier….Look in your manual, the lever has to be at 1/2-5/8 play and if you don't get it you need a tool to adjust the cable at the clutch. Once you have to adjust the cable that’s the sign the clutches are wearing and needs replacing. I'd play it on the conservative side with the 08 and once I lost it at the lever I'd replace the clutches right away and do a 09 upgrade. Look at service bulletin 2009-9…..Once you understand the upgrade you could upgrade w/after market, best in my opinion to replace the whole assy with the same geometry and tolerances everywhere as the 09 and not mix billet and casted aluminum, especially between hub/retainer plate/basket interfaces. I mean the dimensional geometry between 08 and 09 are different and so is the design of the components to keep the basket from coming loose, plates from binding, etc….I think Motorworks and Hinson offers the full assy w/ the right hub, plates(9 instead of 8), basket dimensionally….go get the 2009-9 and the 09 stock parts and you'll see what BRP did then you'll know. 09 we think fixes all the problems but only time will tell.

Let me guess the basket broke at the rivet holes in the web.

Don't tell the dealer you run M1….all you guys that run different oils that are not designed for this quad run a risk. The antifriction, temp, viscosity, and other property's if compromised can cause failure.

I know others have tried to get the 09 upgrade for free without success. Good luck!

5852jake
02-09-2009, 10:04 AM
nope, the basket tabs that stick out past the friction plates broke. thats why i am sure the hub nut caused this. the tabs prolly hit the clutch cover which made them break. all of the friction plates are within limits.'08 ds450
pink wire mod
hiper bead locks
18" maxis razr rear tires
21"holeshot front
41 tooth rear sprocket
ac nerfs

ds450racer
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
08 clutches are prone to break. Its because of the lack of oil and they dry up and break. get a hinson clutch

nvrpmx
02-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Motoworks has there cluth update kit includes basket,hub,pressure plate,and a new style lock nut washer that keeps the nut from backing off. Do it all and do it right the first time.Hinson only makes the basket i think so if you have hub problems later or pressure plate you cant get it from them.

TNT
02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Interesting, I beleive the stack up keeps pressure against the nut to 75 ft lbs and the 08 design did not allow for wear or much tolerance on the minus side. The xtra 09 plate and hub depth keeps this from happening. It doesn't happen to everyone but can especially if they don't replace thier clutch plates and fibers, springs often. If even one is out of tolerance they all need to be replaced. Did you mic your springs? s/b 1.327-1.358, plates .006, frictons .096 inch. Use the wrong oil plates can stick, parts can grind and cease up, etc....You guy's ALL need to keep on eye on all this don't matter what clutch you run.

I'll be watching mine and Motorworks is the way I'd go IMO if I think the 09 is still not right. Thier full assyembly seems reasonably priced and they did the fit check. I would not mix a casting with a machined part at ANY interface. Make sure the tempers of the HUB and Basket and retainer plate are the same, T6 is acceptable, T7 is better! 2024 is good unless welding then 6061, 7050-T73511 is best for machining from billet(plate).

5852jake
02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
i mic'd the springs and they are good to go. The stack up not holding pressure on the hub nut does make since. Shoulda been designed to lock the first time from the factory.

DS450LOVER
02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
TNT1 = wrong

TNT
02-10-2009, 05:14 AM
SB 2009-09 - BRPs fix increases the depth of the hub, rounds the corners of the plates, adds a plate(9 vs 8), new clutch cover for oil fogging, same clutch basket as 08.

Some other peoples fix - put a new stronger clutch basket in period

TNT1 thoughts=lol!

Sorry if I were to choose I'd go with BRP. :D

Just my opinion and theres nothing "wrong" about it!

My 09 clutch is working great! Nothing 'wrong" about it either.

Blizzard24
02-10-2009, 05:28 AM
I know you are saying dont match billet with cast parts TNT, but I think a very good setup might be a billet clutch basket with the 09 parts, this would give you the deeper hub, the rounded clutch plates and the cover that can get oil to all parts of the clutch assembly and it would be ca couple of hundred less than someone elses complete set up.

This might be the way to go for the 08 guys.

TNT
02-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
I know you are saying dont match billet with cast parts TNT, but I think a very good setup might be a billet clutch basket with the 09 parts, this would give you the deeper hub, the rounded clutch plates and the cover that can get oil to all parts of the clutch assembly and it would be ca couple of hundred less than someone elses complete set up.

This might be the way to go for the 08 guys.

You might be correct it's hard to say.......It just depends on maintenace and how hard the racer is on the clutch. We don't really know for certain the 09 is correct yet but one thing is for sure if you just try the 09 set-up per the bullitin and it does not work you have a better chance of going back to BRP and asking for some help on cost. I know the BIG guys at BRP don't want to see warantee claims like this continue so I'd bank on that.

fastford
02-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by TNT1
if you just try the 09 set-up per the bullitin

You talking about the update for the 08?

This is what mine looked like when it failed.

TNT
02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Wow! Yeah we have to realize the amount of centrifugal force 0n the outer wall of the basket at 5-7, 000 rpm is significant! If any part in the assemble touches that wall when spinning it will break the web in bending. Adding a new stronger basket is not the answer, but could bandied a bad 08 design. I don't have the motor apart to see all the parts but looking at the manual it appears to me the 08 update or service bulletin that was released on Sept 26, 2008 and is effective for engine numbers M6748166 and on fixes the 08 problem with a deeper hub, new plate design and adds a plate, new cover, same basket as 08(no change). All 08s need this update a minimum to keep the basket from breaking. If you do not comply you run the risk of serious damage to your engine.

Other save guard is to add a lock nut or at least make sure that who every assembles this uses lock tight as the manual outlines. Users have to perform the maintenance outlined in the shop manual or their user guides. Under heavy racing conditions this clutch needs to be replaced more often. The shop manual or maintenance schedules were not intended for heavy racing just normal recreational riding. BRP could not produce schedules based on all the different levels of racing so use your own judgments. That will depend on how much you ride the clutch and burn them. If it were me knowing the previous clutch problems I will be in the clutch replacing it and redoing all the torque and lock tight at the first sign of wear at the lever. Once I am down to 1/8 lever play.

nbm
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I took my 08 back to the dealer to see if they would update the clutch. After two months he finally called and said for $79 he would do the update. He said this amont was half of the labor cost and can am would pay for the parts. My quad was out of warranty but I did complain about the problem (squeal) when my quad was under warranty but was told at that time there wasn't a fix. My only question is the dealer said that they just add a plate to my existing plates but I read here about the new plates being rounded. Can somebody explain this? Also it looks like in the michrofiche the parts numbers are the same for the plates in the 09 vs the 08, the 09 just has more. thanks

TNT
02-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Well first off Manufactures don't always roll part numbers when they change the design, it just depends on if according to their policy's and procedures the Engineering change warrants a part number change or not. If they are able to rework parts in stock, as in this case by rounding the corners, then no need to change the part number. Changing part numbers creates a lot cost down stream of the Engineer.

The 2009-9 bulletin clearly states that the plates have a different design, rounded corners, and if you were to put the plates on the hub you'd could clearly see how binding can occur with square corners under elevated temps and expansion of the aluminum. There are other factors to keep the plates from binding or expanding, primarily adequate oiling, good spring tension, to name a few. Now why they increased the hub depth and added another plate I am trying to figure out by just looking at the manual, I don't have my motor open right now at the clutch. My guess is to keep pressure on the assy, remember as this thing spins centrifugal force and spring tension creates pressure, so my guess is the 08 design was inadequate. Now if one is brave and can figure out the changes and try and come up with an assembly that works better than BRP feel free. I don't recommend it. I would follow BRPs bulletin that way you can go back to them when and IF things go wrong. Not that they will always be as nice as they were to you, that will depend on a lot of things and I am sure they do not want to see this anymore, but you have more of a leg to stand on. If something comes loose and I don't care if the basket is made out of billet or casted aluminum, and hits that basket wall it will bend and fail. If you don't like BRP's fix go to Hinson, Motorworks, EPIC, whoever, but just make sure you understand the problem and the solution.

Well anyway, sorry if I or actually BRP is not giving the best news by this bullitin just don't want to see someone ruin their engine.

I'm exhausted on this subject lol. Good luck to all!

ProspectorJim
02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Where can I find the official bulletins?

So will brp most likely give me a break on the price or will I have to pay for a new clutch assembly?

TNT
02-10-2009, 03:09 PM
You get the service bullitens at the dealer. They can order the shop manual there too through BRP. The 08 manual is the same for 09....well its close they are not producing an 09 manual.

Every dealer will handle the situation different.

Good luck!