PDA

View Full Version : LTR or Build Hybrid?

project400ex19
02-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I have had a spare frame laying around that I built my own gusset kit for and welded in. And I just found a guy in town with a CRF 450 engine that I can buy for 700. So should i build a hybrid or just buy a LTR? I love the power, the ride and everything about the LTR so i need some expert advice here.

400Trooper
02-08-2009, 10:55 AM
IMHO - If you have the money to get the LTR, I would do that.
BUT......
If you have all the suspension dialed in on the 400ex, shocks, arms, swing-arm, steering stem, etc. and are happy with it AND you don't mind fabricating stuff do the Hybrid.

Cost / Time and ability really come into play. As you can see there are MANY hybrids on here, but they spent alot of time and money to do it!

I personally researched the hybrid thing and was going to use a company to modify my frame, to eliminate any mistakes and it was going to be expensive. But not as expensive as a new 450R!

So my friend welcome to the delima! Best of luck!

project400ex19
02-08-2009, 10:59 AM
yeah i cant get my suspension set up the way i like. I jump on my buddy's LTR and I can haul on that thing. He has tried dialing in my suspension. I'm going to have to say im a little let down i thought 2400 dollars worth of suspension would be amazing. but wasn't real impressed at all. And LTR's are going for pretty cheap on here right now.

The ex I have now needs new nerfs, top end gaskets and is just a never ending money pit and im sick of pouring money into it.

Pipeless416
02-08-2009, 11:06 AM
this would be a no brainer for me, as i really like having things that nobody else has (or very few) and things that i made myself. however, i know the feeling of having a money pit :( things all seem to go wrong at the same time.

02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by project400ex19
yeah i cant get my suspension set up the way i like. I jump on my buddy's LTR and I can haul on that thing. He has tried dialing in my suspension. I'm going to have to say im a little let down i thought 2400 dollars worth of suspension would be amazing. but wasn't real impressed at all. And LTR's are going for pretty cheap on here right now.

The ex I have now needs new nerfs, top end gaskets and is just a never ending money pit and im sick of pouring money into it.

You did buy Elka.... cant expect the best with them.

project400ex19
02-08-2009, 11:11 AM
I wanted Fox floats, but they didn't make them in a long travel for a 400ex at the time. they probably do now.

Just out of curiousity, what is the best right now? Motowoz? Axis?

250x_kyle
02-08-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah if u bought elkas and didnt send them back three times to be revalved thats your problem.

powermadd400ex
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
You did buy Elka.... cant expect the best with them.

elka is a respectable company, i love my elkas, theyve never let me down.
theyre better than your stock 450r shocks.

anyways
ive been thinking of moving to a 450 to, my 400ex is a moneypit. im tired of throwing cash at it. hopefully after this recession we can sell my 400 and start looking for 450s.

project400ex19
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
aparently, My first ride with it. Went for a double at the local track, nothing huge or special. I thought the suspension would be pretty close from the factory. Aparently not, I bottomed out and my aluminum airbox hit my rear brake line and pinched it off. Still cant get the piece of crap hard enough.

project400ex19
02-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by project400ex19
aparently, My first ride with it. Went for a double at the local track, nothing huge or special. I thought the suspension would be pretty close from the factory. Aparently not, I bottomed out and my aluminum airbox hit my rear brake line and pinched it off. Still cant get the piece of crap hard enough.

And I weigh 190 and had them valved for a 200-225 rider!

Lonestar_R
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I had an LTR and they are one of the biggest heaps out there. They are a slug. The Hybrid built right will out perform the LTR. Suzuki has got a long way to go with it IMO. Notice I am back on a 400EX with a 426 kit in it and I am much much happier

coryatver
02-08-2009, 12:05 PM
no way I would build a hybrid unless you are a good fabricator. There is no need to build hybrids anymore when you can go buy a 450 much more cost effective in every way. Even if you can fab up the frame, exhuast, radiator it will still cost you more. lonestar im glad I didn't end up with that suzuki you told me you liked it lol

02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex

whoa chill out here. who said I ever had stock 450 shocks?

brian76708
02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex

anyways
ive been thinking of moving to a 450 to, my 400ex is a moneypit. im tired of throwing cash at it. hopefully after this recession we can sell my 400 and start looking for 450s.

if you do this make sure u tell me cause i will by your a arms and SS brake lines off you.

powermadd400ex
02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
if you do this make sure u tell me cause i will by your a arms and SS brake lines off you.

sorry man, a friend already has first dibs on them. but if he doesnt come through then ill get you a price with a shipping quote.

leasureryan
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
LT-R450!!! Once you go fuel injected...you will never look back! I LOVE mine...can't wait till the first race in 2 weeks on Feb 22nd

Lonestar_R
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I did like my LTR the first 2 times I rode it...then after cleaning it and having to piss with a few things it wasn't worth the time to blow it up. And then after getting my 426 I really didn't like my LTR. They may be fine on the MX track but not in the woods. If I were Chris Borich and had multiple bikes at my disposal I would like it.

And Cory you were the one that wanted it from me I did not come to you asking for a trade

leasureryan
02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Don't get me wrong...I like mt 426 that has everything done to it....but it's no LTR. I can smoke any 400ex after getting offsets in the front, and LTZ hubs in the rear. I'm used to riding wide anyways...I don't see why people have such a hard time. I can ride with guys on stock 300ex's...and they are hitting trees left and right...where as I am at +3's on the 400ex and still at the other end of the woods way before them. Guess not everyone can be blessed with my abilities...lol

either way...to each his own