PDA

View Full Version : Possible no start fix?

Sinister95Z
02-08-2009, 02:28 AM
After numerous days of trying to figure out my no start due to no spark problem, I finally broke down and took my 400ex to the dealer for a diagnoses. I feel like an idiot because I have never had to take my bike or car to a dealer. I have always been able to fix the problem myself.

When it was all said and done, they told me that my problem was the regulator / rectifier.

I was under the impression that the rectifier only controls the amount of voltage sent out to the stator and accessories. Is it even possible the the rectifier could cause a no start problem?

Sinister95Z
02-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Anybody?

I just need to know if it is possible.

bobkunkle
02-09-2009, 07:05 AM
I assume the CDI runs off of 12V. Not sure were the battery is in-line to the rectifier.

Homerx
02-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Rectifiers do not control voltage or current, they convert the alternating current generated by the stator into DC required to charge the battery and run the other circuits. I would suspect that the CDI box requires a DC signal to function properly including sending trigger signal to the ingition coil.

400exVB
02-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I am in the exact same boat as you Sinister95Z, just took mine to the dealer.. he hasnt gotten back to me, but after alot of reading and researching, i think my problem was the ignition pulse generator, which is, i believe, part of the regulator / rectifier. my quad was not getting a pulse signal to the CDI or to the coil. did you get yours back yet? how much, if you did it run you, if you dont mind me asking?

Sinister95Z
02-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I ordered a brand new rectifier from BikeBandit.com for right under $50. I bought the gaskets and such from them to do my stator change, and they shipped everything very quickly and at a good price. They earned my repeat business.

From what I have learned in the couple weeks that I have owned the bike, I believe the pulse generator is located in by the stator. Left side case cover must come off to get to it. The rectifier is located back behind the battery mounted to the frame.

400exVB
02-09-2009, 08:18 PM
ahh, you are right, i was thinking about the stator.... so the regulator/rectifier fixed your no spark problem?

Sinister95Z
02-10-2009, 01:42 AM
I will not know until Wednesday. I will post up my results once the problem is solved.

Sinister95Z
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Damn it!

After the dealer told me that the rectifier was my problem, I replaced the rectifier with a brand new one from Honda. Guess what?! NO START!

I am getting so fed up with this piece. So far I have done the following at the recommendation from the dealer and tracing wires:

Replaced Stator
Replaced Coil
Replaced Rectifier
Gone over all connections and used dielectric grease
Cleaned and tightened all grounds
New fully charged battery
New Spark Plug
Tested kill switch
Tested key switch
Tested and temporary replace CDI box

Does anybody have anything they can offer for help? I am at the point where I want to sell it just because I am so frustrated.

Help!

400thacker
02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
did you replace the whole stator or just part of it?
I had the same problem and bought a used stator off of ebay and fixed it right up.

Sinister95Z
02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
I replaced the entire stator with a new one from Honda. New stator and pulse generator.

sc400ex_rider
02-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Sinister95Z
After numerous days of trying to figure out my no start due to no spark problem, I finally broke down and took my 400ex to the dealer for a diagnoses. I feel like an idiot because I have never had to take my bike or car to a dealer. I have always been able to fix the problem myself.

When it was all said and done, they told me that my problem was the regulator / rectifier.

I was under the impression that the rectifier only controls the amount of voltage sent out to the stator and accessories. Is it even possible the the rectifier could cause a no start problem?

Take it back to them with your recite for the rectifier and tell them that didnt fix it. they will have to work with you to re diagnose it or refund your money cause they mis diagnosed it. also would it turn over if the fuse by the battery was blown?

Homerx
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
Take it back to them with your recite for the rectifier and tell them that didnt fix it. they will have to work with you to re diagnose it or refund your money cause they mis diagnosed it. also would it turn over if the fuse by the battery was blown?

No it won't turn over with blown fuse, it cuts power to the ignition. Are you 100% sure that the kill switch and or clutch switch are functioning properly ? ?

Sinister95Z
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I sat there and watched the mechanic test both the ignition switch and the kill switch. Both are working properly.

What is the clutch switch and where is it? Are you talking about the kill switch next to the clutch?

Sinister95Z
02-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I took the bike back to the shop that did the diagnoses. They said that they would make it right and figure it out. Right off the trailer, the mechanic starting testing everything again while I waited. After about 45 minutes, he asked for me to leave it so he could work on it tomorrow because he was stumped.

Homerx
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I sat there and watched the mechanic test both the ignition switch and the kill switch. Both are working properly.

What is the clutch switch and where is it? Are you talking about the kill switch next to the clutch?

Clutch switch is on the clutch itself, it allows the quad to start in gear. Also have you checked the nuetral switch down by the shifter.

Sinister95Z
02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
When I replaced the stator, I made sure to connect that nuetral wire nice and snug.

Would I still need to check the clutch switch even though I am always trying to start while in nuetral? If so, how do I go about checking it?

Homerx
02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
When I replaced the stator, I made sure to connect that nuetral wire nice and snug.

Would I still need to check the clutch switch even though I am always trying to start while in nuetral? If so, how do I go about checking it?

You shouldn't if your in nuetral.. you got a real enigma there!! let us know what the dealer finds. GL

Sinister95Z
02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
I called and checked up on it today. It's not a good sign when the tech tells me that he is stumped. Just my luck...

I don't get it. The reason I bought the 400ex is because it has about 15 hours total on the bike. It is barely broken in as far as I am concerned. To have something like this go wrong so early is extremely frustrating.

Homerx
02-14-2009, 08:04 AM
I called and checked up on it today. It's not a good sign when the tech tells me that he is stumped. Just my luck...

I don't get it. The reason I bought the 400ex is because it has about 15 hours total on the bike. It is barely broken in as far as I am concerned. To have something like this go wrong so early is extremely frustrating.

I am not sure if this is even possible, but I am gonna throw it out there, not to be a diick. When you did the sparks timing key install did you put the fly wheel back on backwards? this would put the magnets in the wrong spot in relation to the stator? just a thought, as you have a weird situation there with the dealer not getting it sorted out either.

Sinister95Z
02-14-2009, 09:32 AM
No offence taken. Those are actually the answers I am looking for.

I know it is not a problem with the sparks advance key. I actually put on the timing key and the K&N kit after this problem presented itself. I bought the bike with the problem and the owner believing it was the stator.

The bike has been down for so long, that I needed to mod it to keep my sanity...:D

bigd's ex
02-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Hang in there man you'll get it runnin. I know it s#*^s , but just remember you're not the only one that this kinda crap happens to!! I know it's a different situation, but I got a new 07 with all the goodies, sittin outside and can't ride it cause we're working 7-10's on my job and have to take a day off to ride, only if I don't have a full day of "HONEY DO's". I hope you get it up and running so you can join us in the little thing we like to call A.A.D.S!!!!!!!!!!:D

Sinister95Z
02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Update...I went down to the shop only for the mechanic to tell me that I can take my quad home because he can not figure it out.

I get it home and have a spare afternoon, so I decided to put the original stator back in the bike since it was never the problem. After I put it back in and button everything up, the bike starts. WOO HOO!

It ran extremely crappy. It would not idle and it was very sluggish. I took it for a quick trip down the road to see if it would clear out...no luck. I figure that I will figure it out the next day, and call it good enough for now.

I go out to the garage today, and now the bike will not start again. Talk about being confused.

sc400ex_rider
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Update...I went down to the shop only for the mechanic to tell me that I can take my quad home because he can not figure it out.

WOW thats lame is this a honda shop or a billy bob motorcycle shop. you might want to call other shops and see if anybody specializes in electrical probs. just tell them you have an intermitent spark. you might even have multiple probs. its just weird how it will spark one day and not the next and messing with the stator does something!!! i think its a bad connection in the stator wires or harness. try moving them back and forth to see if you can duplicate the prob. the wire could be broke inside the insulation. do you have a wiring diagram? i would also try to jump or bypass the run kill switch. i wish i was closer cause i would fix that biatch, these type of probs just intriuge me i wont stop till i find it.

Sinister95Z
02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I wish I had somebody like you here that could help! It was a local Yamaha dealer that did the work. I was actually there alot of the time while he was testing.

I got a little bith further with it today though. I tried to start it at first, no go. So I checked the plug and it was completely carbon fouled. So now I have a very rough running bike that will not idle and each plug I put in it carbon fouls after about 5-10 minutes of run time. Any idea's?

The bike ran great right before the no start problem.

Sinister95Z
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I have not messed with the cam at all. The only timing modification is the sparks advance key, but the problem was evident before the install.

I have already went through the harness and have also cleaned and tightened the grounds.

I am starting to think that it might be a faulty CDI box. When I think about it, the bike started right after I unplugged the CDI box and then plugged it back in about 30 minutes later. I just ordered a new CDI box from Sparks since I was going to do it anyways down the road.

While I was there and had the credit card in my hand, I went ahead and ordered something big and stainless steel...lol

Sinister95Z
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
You also asked about the carb. I did take the carb off to clean and re-jet.

What could be causing the bike to not idle and die as soon as I let off the throttle? It is puffing out a ton of alternating white/black smoke.

Homerx
02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Any luck yet ?

bigbad400
02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
it could be jetted up too much and fouling out, is it still getting spark since it started or did it loose spark all ove again. you just said it wouldnt start, not spark.

i want that pipe so bad. im saving up for it now but i just spent a bunch on axle widening kit and skids, NOW its time for the power upgrades, but im thinking im still gona wait till after i get 450 shocks and send them including the stock rear to gt thunder. THEN i will get the pipe for sure, but i want it now:(

Sinister95Z
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I ended up giving up on trying to figure out why it is running so bad. Normally I am really good about how to figure out a problem, but this time I had to bow to people more knowledgeable. I took my bike to an actually Honda dealer a couple towns over. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.

droppedmazda
02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
hey man, if the honda shop can't figure it out and u have to go get it, pm me and ill give u my number. u can call me and if its a spark problem, i can tell u what to do to get it runnin. we might have to bypass some stuff but hopefully we can at least get it runnin so that u can figure out wats good and wats bad.

Sinister95Z
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks! That's cool that this forum has people like yourself that are willing to help out noobs like me when the time comes. If they can't figure it out, I'll let you know.