PDA

View Full Version : sprockets

midwest honda
02-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Im just wonder how easy it is on a 400ex to take off the front and rear sprockets and chain and replace all three. It will be my first time. Will a good socket and ratchet set be enough to get all the parts off.

Would you guys recommend steel or aluminum rear sprockets and which chain would you recommend. I want a long lasting cheap sprocket. Weight isnt an issue because for me longevity is more important. Im looking for around $20 for front steel sprocket, $50 tops for rear and a good chain. I donno if i should get o ring or not. Is it worth the money.

ae13291
02-07-2009, 11:54 PM
get a non o ring chain its worth it. i have a ek mdrl gold non o ring that i got for like $30 shipped on ebay new. i think the 05 400ex already came with a 14/39 gearing. what do u plan on doing?

hypersnyper6947
02-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Its very easy to change all three, just find the master link on the chain and pop it off, then its just bolts on the rear sprocket and 2 bolts with a clip on the front sprocket.

ae13291
02-08-2009, 12:26 AM
^^^ idk if its only me but i never noticed a master link on the stock chain, i had to grind mine off while it was still on the bike

04TRX400EX
02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
There is no master link on a stock chain, so either you break the chain or simply slide the chain off over one of the hubs after you remove the sprockets.

You'll definitely need a good metric socket set (mostly 12mm if I remember correctly) and then a means of loosening/removing the concentric adjuster bolts at the back of the swingarm (the 4 allen bolts). Your "tool pouch" came with the allen wrench for the bolts. Once loosened or removed, I usually use a punch (like a screwdriver with a blunt end) and a hammer to rotate the adjuster collar forward to loosen the chain. After the chain is nice and loose, you can slide it off both the front and rear sprockets. Then, unbolt the sprockets and change as you see fit.

For products, I'd recommend Renthal sprockets and either a Renthal or D.I.D. X-Ring chain. You will get better performance and wear out of a higher quality chain. Plus, aftermarket chains will include a master lock so it will be easy to install or remove the chain afterwards.

BTW, '99-04 400EX's came with 15/38 stock gearing while '05-present models came with 14/38 stock gearing for more low-end power.

alberto
02-08-2009, 01:08 AM
04TRX400EX,

It very easy to remove them all just take your time. Gearing depends on what you want to do. For example I play on the dunes so I went down one tooth on the front and one tooth up on the rear. As far as brands thats up to you. You can find cheap complete sets on line for under 50 or you can go with a name brand like sidewinder for over 200. GL :)

Wheelie
02-08-2009, 09:26 AM
If you want a long lasting sprocket, stay away from the Renthal aluminum rear sprocket. They cost over $50, and mine lasted less than 6 months. Stick with a steel rear sprocket.

ae13291
02-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
There is no master link on a stock chain, so either you break the chain or simply slide the chain off over one of the hubs after you remove the sprockets.

You'll definitely need a good metric socket set (mostly 12mm if I remember correctly) and then a means of loosening/removing the concentric adjuster bolts at the back of the swingarm (the 4 allen bolts). Your "tool pouch" came with the allen wrench for the bolts. Once loosened or removed, I usually use a punch (like a screwdriver with a blunt end) and a hammer to rotate the adjuster collar forward to loosen the chain. After the chain is nice and loose, you can slide it off both the front and rear sprockets. Then, unbolt the sprockets and change as you see fit.

For products, I'd recommend Renthal sprockets and either a Renthal or D.I.D. X-Ring chain. You will get better performance and wear out of a higher quality chain. Plus, aftermarket chains will include a master lock so it will be easy to install or remove the chain afterwards.

BTW, '99-04 400EX's came with 15/38 stock gearing while '05-present models came with 14/38 stock gearing for more low-end power.

05 and newer came with 14/39 i believe

racerdan24
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
05 and newer are 14/39