PDA

View Full Version : cvt issues

qcitytile
02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Im having problems with our cvt. The variator is getting so hot that within 5 laps all six rollers are melted. Roller weight is 4.5g with dr pully variator. Rear is malossi delta adjustable clutch with the white springs and 1500t spring. I havn't even tried adjusting the clutch yet. I'm curious of why this keeps happening and any help would be great. Sprockets are 20f and 35r. It is a race engine. Thanks

LT80
02-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Your rear clutch is causing this IMO. Not enough pressure on the pads going to the bell thus excessive heat.
Please explain the mods on your race motor.

qcitytile
02-08-2009, 09:45 AM
The whole cvt is new besides the clutch bell could that cause the problem. It seems to run fine but it does seem to rev out pretty fast. I think that is in the gearing. As far as mods I don't know everything because it was bought used. It was sent away and done by Billy Holt.

raidernut
02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
The dr pulley variators are famous for the inner brass bushing coming loose or out. Make sure that it hasnt come loose. We had this happen with two different dr pulley variators, and it messed up all kinds of stuff

qcitytile
02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I checked the variator and all the bushings seem to be fine, but I did notice that the front ramp wore a little groove in it where it meets the bushing that the variator slides on. So I think that the front pully had play when it was tight. So I put another shim behind the variator and everything seems to be tight now. Now I guess I wait and see if it happens again. Any other suggestions would be great.

90cc DAD
02-08-2009, 05:27 PM
We had a neat issue with our cvt last year. I changed the
Dr. pully with another one and I never had the problem again.
Just wait till it shreds one of your belts and you pull it
apart to find a bunch of fluffy shreds that looks like a
mouse nest!!

I would check to make sure your veriator doesn't have any
scratches on it. I believe that is what caused our problem.

hotquads1
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
sounds like a spacing issue with the front variator you may have fixed it with the extra shim . The belt slipping on the variator causes extreme heat , I would have thought you would see black marks on the variator from belt.
marc

qcitytile
02-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Actually I did notice a little bit of black, but it was more like a smear. A buddy from the track come by and he noticed that the rear spring seemed to be fully compressed with the rear pully only about half open. We took the t spring out and it was 1/2" or more shorter than the koso I had. So basically the rear pully was only opening half way and causing it to rev out way to fast which I'm hoping was causing the heat. Thanks for the replies

Logan #34's Dad
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Make sure your bell and clutch are the same size. I once had a 105 clutch with a 107 bell and it did the same thing. Reved to the moon and did not go anywhere too fast.

90cc DAD
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
sounds like a spacing issue with the front variator you may have fixed it with the extra shim . The belt slipping on the variator causes extreme heat , I would have thought you would see black marks on the variator from belt.
marc

After reading this replie..... This is your problem!! 100%
And it can be very hard to get that thing back straight!!
Now we all know why Marc is da - man!!!