PDA

View Full Version : Sad to say guys, but turns out it was true...

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I dont know if someone already posted something about this before me, but im to darn mad to even care. If someone has, please get rid of this thread. Thanks

Many of you will remember a while back someone posted a report that companies will no longer be able to sell 100cc and below, almost all of us thought it was fake (or at least hoped).

Well a few hours i got a call from my dad saying after today they will have to pack up ALL of the 100cc and below atv's and motorcylces at his Honda dealership and send them to be scrapped.

Yeah, this makes me so mad...I guess to many parents have been feeding their kids the paint off their mini motorcycles and atv's...

Even those cheap offbrand motorcycles and atv's you always see at walmart will no longer be able to be sold.

05LSR250R
02-07-2009, 01:46 PM
This sucks!! Looks like I'll be asking more for my son and daughters quads when they out grow'em! Are the companies buying them back from the dealer?

extremeblastr
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
just got off the phone with my uncle(part owner of a honda dealer), for those of you who were wondering, if you have a dealer who doesn't mind cutting some corners to make a deal you can pick up some toys at one hell of a price as long as you get it done tomorrow:devil:

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
This sucks!! Looks like I'll be asking more for my son and daughters quads when they out grow'em! Are the companies buying them back from the dealer?

I really hope they are, because they have at least 20 (Yeah, add that up) of them sitting on the showroom and in the back in crates. If they do not buy them out i can see some small dealers going out of business.

Pipeless416
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
just got off the phone with my uncle(part owner of a honda dealer), for those of you who were wondering, if you have a dealer who doesn't mind cutting some corners to make a deal you can pick up some toys at one hell of a price as long as you get it done tomorrow:devil:

i have a 1 year old nephew that we're going to get into riding when hes old enough.. my dads going to check around and see what he can do. are you saying they need to be bought by tomorrow, the 8th? i thought the ban goes into effect on the 10th? he was going to call on monday..

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i have a 1 year old nephew that we're going to get into riding when hes old enough.. my dads going to check around and see what he can do. are you saying they need to be bought by tomorrow, the 8th? i thought the ban goes into effect on the 10th? he was going to call on monday..

It probably depends on the location, but your best bet would be to call as soon as possible. My dads dealership is selling them at the cost they got them from honda, so even if you have a young kid, get a mini now, because you will have to buy used otherwise.

Rich250RRacer
02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
The ban has been put on hold for 1 year to give manufacturers time to make necessary changes and to possibly get youth motorcycles and ATV's exempt from the ban.

extremeblastr
02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
as of a half hour ago all the dealerships in my area were starting to pack em up. so lets hope they don't have to scrap this group, i'm gettin a crf50 either way lol

02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
to be scraped? i'll gladly take them all and host the worlds largest mini race

Rich250RRacer
02-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Here's the latest on the ban.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09115.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 30, 2009
Release #09-115
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC Grants One Year Stay of Testing and Certification Requirements for Certain Products

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission voted unanimously (2-0) to issue a one year stay of enforcement for certain testing and certification requirements for manufacturers and importers of regulated products, including products intended for children 12 years old and younger. These requirements are part of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), which added certification and testing requirements for all products subject to CPSC standards or bans.

Significant to makers of childrenÃ_s products, the vote by the Commission provides limited relief from the testing and certification requirements which go into effect on February 10, 2009 for new total lead content limits (600 ppm), phthalates limits for certain products (1000 ppm), and mandatory toy standards, among other things. Manufacturers and importers ñ large and small ñ of childrenÃ_s products will not need to test or certify to these new requirements, but will need to meet the lead and phthalates limits, mandatory toy standards and other requirements.

The decision by the Commission gives the staff more time to finalize four proposed rules which could relieve certain materials and products from lead testing and to issue more guidance on when testing is required and how it is to be conducted.

The stay will remain in effect until February 10, 2010, at which time a Commission vote will be taken to terminate the stay.

The stay does not apply to:

Four requirements for third-party testing and certification of certain childrenÃ_s products subject to:
The ban on lead in paint and other surface coatings effective for products made after December 21, 2008;
The standards for full-size and non full-size cribs and pacifiers effective for products made after January 20, 2009;
The ban on small parts effective for products made after February 15, 2009; and
The limits on lead content of metal components of childrenÃ_s jewelry effective for products made after March 23, 2009.
Certification requirements applicable to ATVÃ_s manufactured after April 13, 2009.
Pre-CPSIA testing and certification requirements, including for: automatic residential garage door openers, bike helmets, candles with metal core wicks, lawnmowers, lighters, mattresses, and swimming pool slides; and
Pool drain cover requirements of the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act.
The stay of enforcement provides some temporary, limited relief to the crafters, childrenÃ_s garment manufacturers and toy makers who had been subject to the testing and certification required under the CPSIA. These businesses will not need to issue certificates based on testing of their products until additional decisions are issued by the Commission. However, all businesses, including, but not limited to, handmade toy and apparel makers, crafters and home-based small businesses, must still be sure that their products conform to all safety standards and similar requirements, including the lead and phthalates provisions of the CPSIA.

Handmade garment makers are cautioned to know whether the zippers, buttons and other fasteners they are using contain lead. Likewise, handmade toy manufacturers need to know whether their products, if using plastic or soft flexible vinyl, contain phthalates.

The stay of enforcement on testing and certification does not address thrift and second hand stores and small retailers because they are not required to test and certify products under the CPSIA. The products they sell, including those in inventory on February 10, 2009, must not contain more than 600 ppm lead in any accessible part. The Commission is aware that it is difficult to know whether a product meets the lead standard without testing and has issued guidance for these companies that can be found on our web site.

The Commission trusts that State Attorneys General will respect the Commission's judgment that it is necessary to stay certain testing and certification requirements and will focus their own enforcement efforts on other provisions of the law, e.g. the sale of recalled products.

Please visit the CPSC Web site at www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html for more information on all of the efforts being made to successfully implement the CPSIA.

Statements on this vote by Acting Chairman Nancy Nord and Commissioner Thomas H. Moore are in portable document format (PDF).

---

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Rich250RRacer
02-07-2009, 02:56 PM
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/1ecearacer/oneyearreprieve.jpg

extremeblastr
02-07-2009, 02:58 PM
if you read through your first post it says the certification requirements will be applicable to atvs manufactured after April 13, 2009, so much for a year

Rich250RRacer
02-07-2009, 03:01 PM
if you read through your first post it says the certification requirements will be applicable to atvs manufactured after April 13, 2009, so much for a year

At least they'll be able to sell there current inventory, but there go the good deals.

extremeblastr
02-07-2009, 03:12 PM
idk, i think some people are gonna make out like bandits because obviously not all the dealers have been notified. i'm gettin mine at cost either way though.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont know what some of you are talking about 1 more year...They are obviously not going to get a year because they are already packing them up knowing they wont sell them. I spoke with my dad again and got good news; The dealerships will get paid for all of the minis being scrapped and then some.

Its such a shame, they should of quit making them and let them sell their inventory...Its a sad day for the offroad world..who knows whats next...:eek2:

ProspectorJim
02-07-2009, 03:28 PM
whats all this mean for the little kids that race minis?

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
whats all this mean for the little kids that race minis? They will still be able to race them as far as i know. But if they want to buy a new one, or just get into the sport, they will have to buy a used one.

XCRacer236
02-07-2009, 03:41 PM
so ALL 100's and under atv's and dirtbikes are gone? ALL brands?

powermadd400ex
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
thats ridiculous. what is my generation going to do when we have kids, and want to bring them into the sport? most 90cc quads will be ancient by then :ermm:

JHracing4
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
This is stupid and will noly create more problems with parents buying kids bigger bikes because all the minis are gone leading to more accidents..

Rich250RRacer
02-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Yippie-Ki-Yay
I dont know what some of you are talking about 1 more year...They are obviously not going to get a year because they are already packing them up knowing they wont sell them. I spoke with my dad again and got good news; The dealerships will get paid for all of the minis being scrapped and then some.

Its such a shame, they should of quit making them and let them sell their inventory...Its a sad day for the offroad world..who knows whats next...:eek2:

Apparently you can't read. Did you read the letter from the CPSC that I posted? What about the article from Cycle News? These aren't lies. You should be thankful the SVIA and MIC spoke up and protected the industry, most dealers would just take them off the floor and not speak up about the situation. They are allowed to sell existing inventory and any machine manufactured before April 13th, 2009. Most dealers do not keep up with current news. I suggest that whoever it is that you know at the dealership check the current news. Honda sends info numerous times a day to keep dealers informed on important matters on the Honda dealer network. I know my local dealer wasn't even aware of any kind of potential ban, until I told them. They seem to think that the info they receive from Honda isn't important.

That's it, there are still matters to be addressed, it will get worked out. End of DRAMA.

tri5ron
02-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I had to run over to HomeDepot a little while ago, and the Honda dealership is across the street, so I stopped in to see what they had to say about it, and to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

they confirmed exactally what we feared.
As of this coming tuesday (the 10th), they will not be able to sell them, and will be removing them from the showroom floor, to wait for Honda to come and pick them up.

The salesman told me that NO REASONABLE OFFER WILL BE REFUSED , Today or Monday.

But as of next Tuesday, they WILL NOT sell you one for any price, and they will be getting sent back to Honda.

Even the used ones that they have on consignment, will be going back to the current owners, to be sold private party.

I sure am glad that I found the '06 for my daughter last month, because I'd bet that the used ones are going to jump considerably in price.

dirtbike&quad
02-07-2009, 06:31 PM
my dad and i are gonna go check some out monday

<DRS>GPF
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
i wonder how many "kids quads" they sold in all of 2008 compared to all of 2007... or even all of 2006..

i also wonder how many dealers are basically "crying wolf" and pointing fingers at the bill, when badly slumping sales have left them with plenty of unsold inventory that is in need of ditching at the first opportunity.

wvspeedfreak
02-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Do dirt bikes have age recommendations on them like quads do?If so,then the 65's and 85's getting axed is going to be huge for the bike world.

GE4x4
02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
It's based off age limit. If any mini quad has a age limit of 12 and under will not be sold. That is why you see many dealers getting rid of thr 50cc and not the 90cc. The 50cc are for min age of 6, so that falls under the law. Just look on ebay and 50cc are selling at 1/2 price. Now the 90cc are for age 12-15 on the quad, so they don't fall under this law, that's why you see 90 selling for normal prices. But the TRX 90 has a age limit of 10, so they fall under the new law, and that is why the Honda 90 is being pulled. But I would allmost garrenty that Honda will change the age of the 90 from 10 to 12 and that will cure the issue. But any quad made that has a age limit under 12, fall under the law.

tri5ron
02-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
Wait a minute. I just read this whole thing but am still confused.

So as of tuesday the smallest quad or bike that can be sold is 100ccs? What will the 85 bike riders do? Make the crf150r class?
What will all of the mini quad racers do? will there still be a class for them?

This is a bunch of garbage.

your confusing Retail Sales, with Racing.
no more RETAIL SALES, new or used.
Private used sales and racing will continue as usual.

wolfpack91
02-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Here is the info our dealership has. We are a Honda, Kawasaki, and Ktm dealer.
Honda: Crf50, Crf70, Trx90
Kawasaki: Kfx50, Kfx80, Kx60, Kx65, Klx50, klx110
Ktm: Mini Adventure, 50 Sr, 50 Jr, 65sx, and 85sx

No New or used bikes on the list can be on the floor and no new parts may be sold for any of them either. That means OEM parts.

There is NO stay that is in effect for any motorcycle or atv as of 2/7/09.

Ktm got hit the hardest at our dealer because it even affects the 85. No other brand got their 85's on the list.

You will be seeing bicycles at Walmart being pulled also. The ones with handbrakes will be pulled because the brake cable ends contain lead.

Pappy
02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I have 2 KTM 85's and a KTM 65 available for sale if anyone knows folks looking:)

Pappy
02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I have 2 KTM 85's and a KTM 65 available for sale if anyone knows folks looking:)

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Apparently you can't read. Did you read the letter from the CPSC that I posted? What about the article from Cycle News? These aren't lies. You should be thankful the SVIA and MIC spoke up and protected the industry, most dealers would just take them off the floor and not speak up about the situation. They are allowed to sell existing inventory and any machine manufactured before April 13th, 2009. Most dealers do not keep up with current news. I suggest that whoever it is that you know at the dealership check the current news. Honda sends info numerous times a day to keep dealers informed on important matters on the Honda dealer network. I know my local dealer wasn't even aware of any kind of potential ban, until I told them. They seem to think that the info they receive from Honda isn't important.

That's it, there are still matters to be addressed, it will get worked out. End of DRAMA. Honestly, im in no mood to argue with you, but i will take seeing it in person over a report on the internet. And yes, i can read, if i could not read, i would not be on here. ;)

Rich250RRacer
02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
OK, I'm not sure as to what's going on right now, maybe the dealers are pulling units off the floor. The reports that I posted are from reliable sources, one from the CPSC themselves. But we need to look at the big picture here. Yes, there's going to be some hardship faced by the manufacturers and dealers for a period of time, but in the long run this will benefit them. The big four will not ignore this market. They have the resources to engineer and build machines that comply with the new requirements. The push from the industry to get certain parts exempt will be heard and taken into consideration. The cheap Chinese knock-offs will disappear from the market because they can't comply. This will, beyond a doubt, lead to increased sales for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. What's going on right now may seem bad, but it's not the end of the world for our sport.

rollie
02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
so i literally can not go buy parts for my KLX110 now? thats some BS, i thought it was under 100cc's?

Punk'd
02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
What the HE** is going on...? some kid chews on the frame so they all get banned?? Am I missing something or is the US getting really lame:eek:

derekhonda
02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Everyone happy with the "change" so far? Get ready for lots more "goverment knows best" acts. Next on the chopping block, guns, with life liberty and the persuit of happiness a close second.

Pipeless416
02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
my dad called one of the large dealers around us to see if they have any left and they said its the first they've heard of any of this. :confused: are they going to find out after its too late?

wolfpack91
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Come on, how could Owens NOT know??

scuzz
02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I went to my local dealer here in Austin and they said today was the last day. After today all the 12 and under quads and bikes go to storage.

Odd thing was they weren't slashing prices like you think they would. Maybe $300 off and you still had to pay the $400 delivery and assembly fee.

No thanks.

rollie
02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
same here, local dealer offered to give me $200 and set up fees off:ermm: so i sai no thanks, haha and i guess suzuki said that whatever the dealers have they can keep and suzuki doesnt want them back, there dealers are going to loose alot of money!

Pipeless416
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by wolfpack91
Come on, how could Owens NOT know??

not owens, im gonna head over there in a couple minutes to see what they've got. i meant my dad called a honda dealer from home and im at school.

jcv400ex
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I tried to get a deal on a CRF 50 and a DRZ 70, couldn't get either one below $1300 OTD....they're not worried.

400exrider707
02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
What is the point of this? I thought it was 100cc's or under... I have a KLX110 right now.... will I not be able to get OEM parts for it now?

dirtbike&quad
02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
they told me they just cant sell them right now so theyre keeping them in the back room until the thing passes over and then they'll bring the machines back out onto the showroom...

so much for this deal lol

Pappy
02-10-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.tomself.com/

05LSR250R
02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Message sent! Thanx Pappy!

mxduner
02-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
Message sent! Thanx Pappy!
x2

quad2xtreme
02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
X3

hotrodhonda400
02-12-2009, 01:44 AM
so this recall/ ban is because of lead? will the trx 90 be rebadged to 12 and over to beat this law ? :confused: this sux :mad:

hotrodhonda400
02-12-2009, 09:53 AM
just sent a writen letter , e-mail and protest form in the mail ;)

NacsMXer
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
What is the point of this? I thought it was 100cc's or under... I have a KLX110 right now.... will I not be able to get OEM parts for it now?

Same here. This is a bunch of crap. My KLX 110 is pretty much bone stock and I try to take care of it, but still.....wtf are we supposed to do when we need parts for it? It's about as good as having some chinese knockoff that you can't get parts for.

I too, thought the 110's would be safe, but this is based off of age limit? What a bunch of BS :mad:

hotrodhonda400
02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
polaris is the only manufacturer still showing their mini's on their site did they find a way to be Exempt fromt his law ??

GE4x4
02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Polaris can't sell there 50's, but they can on the 90's. There 90's are for 12 and older.

quad2xtreme
02-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I am sure this is more complicated but can't the manufacturers raise the limit on all the bikes and quads to age 12. Hell, they could just add that a minor can't buy a quad or bike. If parents are going to sign for them to ride them at most riding areas then they would be willing to purchase it in the 1st place.

93 red ls
02-12-2009, 03:24 PM
so where can i get a CHEAPPPPP 100cc atv????

Lethalhonda2
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
My fear now is when will they go after the rest of our sport? Everybody needs to get involved and sign

416exfreak
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Well, for the mini quad world, this is a blessing and a beating.

This opens the door for manufacturers to start producing more race capable mini's with the 150 four-stroke bike based powerplants.

One can dream...:ermm:

416exfreak
02-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Lethalhonda2
My fear now is when will they go after the rest of our sport? Everybody needs to get involved and sign

Like hell they're going to get either of my quads.

They will literally have to pry the bars of my 250r and my 440 out of my dead fingers, because they will have to kill me to get them.

To hell with "change" and to hell with Obama.

It hasn't even been a month and look at whats happening... the next 4 years are going to be interesting.

quad2xtreme
02-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

It hasn't even been a month and look at whats happening... the next 4 years are going to be interesting.

Honestly, do you really think the government managed to accomplish all of this since Obama's inauguration?

extremeblastr
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
:macho

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q201/pqc711/f_change_thumb1.jpg

powermadd400ex
02-12-2009, 07:39 PM
:macho

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q201/pqc711/f_change_thumb1.jpg

amen

<DRS>GPF
02-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

this was put into place last year, prior to the election.. and its been built on since 2002..

gee.. i wonder who was in office then??

need i post the link to CSPA showing all of the recalls in the last few years?? the legislation was overdue by years and other industries dont seem to have a problem complying.

this isnt about just ATV's or MX bikes and there is more than your personal satisfaction at stake.

Which 450?
02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
This is a very pathetic thread, have any of you even read to see why they are doing this? yea go ahead and blame obama for your problems.

hondariderdylan
02-13-2009, 01:10 PM
this is all becuase of the dumbass comsumer product safty idiots why dont know what the hell they are talking about

they have been a problem ever since the consent decree back in the 80's
ever since then they have attacked every single opprotunity to jump up quad riders asses and aggravate us

what i dont get is why if there worried about kids riding quads too big for them then what in hell are they getting rid of the little quads they want kids to ride for?

its like throwing gas in a fire and expecting it to go out
ugh..... stupid people:mad:

02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Yippie-Ki-Yay
I dont know if someone already posted something about this before me, but im to darn mad to even care. If someone has, please get rid of this thread. Thanks

Many of you will remember a while back someone posted a report that companies will no longer be able to sell 100cc and below, almost all of us thought it was fake (or at least hoped).

Well a few hours i got a call from my dad saying after today they will have to pack up ALL of the 100cc and below atv's and motorcylces at his Honda dealership and send them to be scrapped.

Yeah, this makes me so mad...I guess to many parents have been feeding their kids the paint off their mini motorcycles and atv's...

Even those cheap offbrand motorcycles and atv's you always see at walmart will no longer be able to be sold.

who in the h3ll came up with this dumb *uckin law?

hotrodhonda400
02-14-2009, 06:36 PM
these posts need to be made into a stickey... I see this issue is kinda falling to the bottom of these pages...:(

extremeblastr
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400
these posts need to be made into a stickey... I see this issue is kinda falling to the bottom of these pages...:(

because its not as big of a deal anymore, the cpsc is already working on changes to limit the restricions on atvs and dirtbikes, the major problem was that it got through without to big of a fight from the industry, i'm still trying to figure out how the big4 didn't handle there business with this but drr did?

hotrodhonda400
02-15-2009, 04:41 AM
how do you know it's being changed already ?? To me it's a big deal until I see those machines back on the showroom floor and the manufaturers websites

Rich250RRacer
02-15-2009, 09:17 AM
because its not as big of a deal anymore, the cpsc is already working on changes to limit the restricions on atvs and dirtbikes, the major problem was that it got through without to big of a fight from the industry, i'm still trying to figure out how the big4 didn't handle there business with this but drr did?

I don't think anybody reads other posts on here. Like I said before, look at the big picture. In the long run, this is going to help the big 4. They saw this coming. They have the finances and resources to make their machines comply, and they will. Once the Chinese knock-off market is killed off by this law (since they can't comply and make them cheap enough), you'll see Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kaw come roaring back into the market. These machines aren't being destroyed or scrapped, they're sitting in storage, waiting for the clearnace to sell them. People need to quit being such drama queens about things and use their heads before they speak (or type).

hondariderdylan
02-25-2009, 06:54 AM
one thing that confused me was that i just went around to all the major brand websites and it seems a little odd

several atv and dirt bikes of the same size are not all banned
for example:

outlaw 90- still there
raptor 90-still there
trx 90- MIA
suzuki 90- MIA

TTR 110-still there
KLX 110- MIA

and several others

what the hells up?
is someone in washington picking brands?
or is it voluntary by the manufacturers?