PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Quadzilla

IcutMetl
02-07-2009, 04:34 AM
So I have the chance at buying a Quadzilla, and wanted to know your opinions.

I believe it's a 1990; I do know it has the extra head stud. Motor just got back from a top end rebuild, not even an hour on it. Starts pretty easily. It's been used, but the frame is straight. Plastic is average. Headlight 'cage' is slightly bent. The guy who owns it now is a good friend of mine and has had the 'wheeler for about 6-7 years now, hardly rides it. Last time I rode it was probably 5 years or more ago in Wayne National Forest; I had a new 400ex at the time (loved it). I remember it had a TON of power and spun 22" tires like they were on butter.

Been wanting another wheeler for a while now. No hesitations about buying an older one. I really like trx250r's, but clean 88-89 ones are hard to find around here. I don't race; just trails, open fields, and having fun. I know the 'zuki's had some issues here and there, but it would be fun to have an icon like that.

He wants $3000+/- for it; I think he bought it for slightly more. He also owes me $1500 more for a cnc mill, manual mill, and lathe we bought together and keep in his barn. (He's still a machinist and I'm now in cutting tool sales) I was thinking of telling him to keep his money and I'll throw in an extra $1000 or so for the wheeler.

Opinions?? Thanks!

dave5.0
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
So did you buy this beast?

IcutMetl
02-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Haha...no; he just put it up on Craigslist, actually. I ended up buying an '88 Honda 250R on Friday night for $1600. Overall it is in fair condition; needs a little work, but is .020 over, paul turner exhaust, 38mm Keihn, and runs very strong. I thought about the 'zilla a lot, but I think the R will be a better bike for me and cost me less money in the long run.

dave5.0
02-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Cool. Those Zillas are pretty cool but my experience you are probably better off. I had a 500 and a 250 at the same time. I was going to put the 500 in the 250 chassis. I looked into making it all crazy. Then I start hearing about problems with the cases where the bearings press in and having to have them sleeved. I think there were a few other major issues that concerned me. I ended up dumping about 2500 into the 250. Still kicking myself for that. Bought my first banshee and put a set of pipes on it. Blew the doors off the 250. Had less money in the whole banshee than I had in the 250 motor.
You can do alot with those 250 Hondas. Kinda like a banshee. Depends on how much money you have.

atvmxr
04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
zillas have a few weak spots from the factory. fix them on your next rebuild and your golden. Its not that flipping difficult...if you know where to go for information... ;)

maybe its just me, but Id rather have a unique zilla than just another 'shee