PDA

View Full Version : header bolts broke on exhaust swap

randallp1
02-06-2009, 11:51 PM
hey guys little problem. i have been trying different systems on my bike and it seems that everytime i take off the header those 4 bolts in the head get worse and worse. this time one of the bolts cracked. i got it out of the head but i am going riding tommorrow. any quick fixes? only one cracked off, but i was wondering if a regular 12mm bolt will work for a while? anybody had this problem? thanks p.s i have a busted sparks x-6 for sale header is rusty but works the pipe is done but sparks said they will rebuild it for $115 make offer.

Chukkinsod
02-07-2009, 08:42 AM
I actually blew mine out of the head at the dunes. Usually they get rusty and sieze to the nut. I've tried anti sieze on there.....dont know if it worked or burned off. I would definately get some new nut/studs they arent that much and worth it when you are far away and dont need a problem

ae13291
02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
when i tried removing my header, i was loosining the nut and the entire stud was coming out, and sure enough on the last one the stud broke in the head, luckily i had some stud sticking out and we were able to weld a nut to it and remove it

78ta
02-07-2009, 10:22 PM
quick fix would be to find a bolt and nut the right size and cut the head off the bolt and use that as a make shift stud. I have done it before....more than a few times