PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting shocks

06 Honda 450R
02-05-2009, 09:58 PM
i have been lookin everywhere, but i cant find anything, i am gonna start flat trackin and i was wondering how to set my 450r as close to the ground as i can, front and rear thanks

02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
the shocks have preload collars that are lock nuts. the top ring needs to be loosened to turn the bottom collar which takes tension off the spring and will lower the height. Loosen it all the way so the collars are highest for both front and rear then play with the compression and rebound to get them setup right.

06 Honda 450R
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
how do i change the compression and stuff

02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
flat tip screw driver. The top screw near the resevoir you see is compression. The bottom screw you see near the a-arm mount side of the shock is rebound.

06 Honda 450R
02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
so what way would i want to turn em to where they are stiff and so the quad dont roll

02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I want to say if your facing them clockwise is hard/fast and counter is soft/slow? I could be wrong though. I know if they are moving in thats hard/fast and if its out its soft/slow. Just turn them and watch for the movement in or out. Dont run them all the way in because it restricts the flow but all the way out is fine. With the preload all the way off I figure you will need a bit of compression and rebound to stiffen it.

06 Honda 450R
02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
for the preload do i need a special wrench

02-05-2009, 10:47 PM
They sell spanner wrenches but a punch and hammer works fine.

06 Honda 450R
02-05-2009, 10:52 PM
alright so i loosen the spring, then tighten the rebound and compression, the shocks should be as stiff as before?

number52
02-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I want to say if your facing them clockwise is hard/fast and counter is soft/slow? I could be wrong though. I know if they are moving in thats hard/fast and if its out its soft/slow. Just turn them and watch for the movement in or out. Dont run them all the way in because it restricts the flow but all the way out is fine. With the preload all the way off I figure you will need a bit of compression and rebound to stiffen it.

Wrong Wrong Wrong! clockwise is hard/slow and counter is soft/fast. Don't use a lowering link in the front or the rear as this will completely change your suspension handling in a bad way. For the stock shocks you need to use a different front link on the rear shock with an internal spacer in the shock. For the front, you will have to purchase a new set of shocks to get your ride height in the correct position. The stock fronts can be cut to get the correct extended length but to get the correct compressed length, most of the time the piston will hit up inside the body. Just use an old screwdriver and a hammer to adjust your preload and take all the weight off of the spring when doing this by raising up on the bike until the suspension is fully extended.

06 Honda 450R
02-07-2009, 09:18 AM
i did what you guys said, and i turned down the suspension all the way to soft, and man that is a really comfy ride on small jumps, but when i go to race next weekend i will turn it all the way to hard, thanks for the help

trailrider894
02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
wait?? you did what they told you and went and jumped it and now your gonna put them all the back where they were at the start?? so changing them and asking this question was pointless?!?!

06 Honda 450R
02-08-2009, 11:12 AM
no, i adjusted them to the lowest ride hight for racing, and also turned the screws all the way to soft, all you have to do to adjust the softness is the turn of a couple screws, i am not changing the ride height