PDA

View Full Version : Cod

Brauap
02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
After reading Pappy's announcement, I read he said to take the COD method.. I have heard this term alot when selling parts but no one will answer me when I ask "What does that mean!?"

Can someone please answer this question.

Pappy
02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Cash On Delivery

It works like this....

You have the seller ship you the part. The seller selects COD when he is doing his shipment info with UPS/Fed Ex of the US Mail. When the part arrives, the shipping company will have a total due and will not release the package until its paid for (Money Order is usually the most accepted form of payment) The payment is handled by the shipping company and sent on to the seller.

You can garuntee you are not getting hosed because you have the box in your hands before you pay for it. You can also quickly check that you are shipped what is being paid for as well.

Brauap
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Thats what I thought..

That was a real nice "write up" you wrote Pappy and thanks for warning us all!

BBUUUTTTTTT.... Tell me truthfully, would you actually ship your item to someone, let them receive it before you get your money.. that sounds like a scammers heaven! I kid was asking me to do that with $80+ worth of parts and I turned that down soo fast.. It makes since, but it sounds easier to get scammed like that than it would be, hoping he ships it out.

Pappy
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
The shipping company acts as a 3rd party collection agent...you wont be scamming anyone and if you try to renig on payment, the shipping company will simply take the package back immediatley or call the police.

Brauap
02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Cash On Delivery

It works like this....

You have the seller ship you the part. The seller selects COD when he is doing his shipment info with UPS/Fed Ex of the US Mail. When the part arrives, the shipping company will have a total due and will not release the package until its paid for (Money Order is usually the most accepted form of payment) The payment is handled by the shipping company and sent on to the seller.

You can garuntee you are not getting hosed because you have the box in your hands before you pay for it. You can also quickly check that you are shipped what is being paid for as well.

Soo.. its kinda like when the UPS man comes and you have to sign for the package.. but you have to give the UPS (or other) man the money before they receive the package? How do you know the mail man won't screw you over?

Pappy
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Who do you trust more? UPS, Fed Ex, The mailman...versus some 19 year old punk you have never met who lives 1200 miles away?

sonof_perdition
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Haha! I saw the thread title and wondered what does this guy got to say about Cod fish? LOL I hadn't even considered it might be about shipping

Robin Hood
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by sonof_perdition
Haha! I saw the thread title and wondered what does this guy got to say about Cod fish? LOL I hadn't even considered it might be about shipping

Yuo haha. That or Call Of Duty.

Brauap
02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
The shipping company acts as a 3rd party collection agent...you wont be scamming anyone and if you try to renig on payment, the shipping company will simply take the package back immediatley or call the police.

Let me get this straight...

Buyer: I want that part, will you please do COD?
Seller: Sure! Let me ship it out tonight!
Mail Truck: Vrrooooom!
Mail Man: Sir, here is your package! You must pay before I hand you this package.
Seller: OK!
(Mail Man receive the amount due)
Mail Man: Thank You!
(Mail Man runs back to his Mail Truck then drives back to the Post Office, hands over the cash, then the seller get the cash sent to him.)

Sounds like the money would be in too many hands..

Pappy
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Braup, first you use a money order not cash. Secondly, you are giving the trust away on the wrong folks:p

Buyer: I just sent you $200 through paypal/mailed money order etc

Seller: Ok man, I will ship tomorrow or when I recieve payment

3 weeks goes by

Buyer: Hey dude, wheres my parts?

Seller: No reply

2 weeks goes by after paypal informs buyer seller has no funds

Buyer: Screwed...but atleast you have the acknowledgement that Paypal sided in your favor. Ofcourse your out the cash and no part..you did real good!

Brauap
02-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Braup, first you use a money order not cash. Secondly, you are giving the trust away on the wrong folks:p

Buyer: I just sent you $200 through paypal/mailed money order etc

Seller: Ok man, I will ship tomorrow or when I recieve payment

3 weeks goes by

Buyer: Hey dude, wheres my parts?

Seller: No reply

2 weeks goes by after paypal informs buyer seller has no funds

Buyer: Screwed...but atleast you have the acknowledgement that Paypal sided in your favor. Ofcourse your out the cash and no part..you did real good!

:ermm: :ermm: :ermm:

I know this will sound stupid, but can you do that same plot but acting as if we where using the COD method.. I'm sorry but I understand this much better.. haha

Pappy
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Buyer: can you send me the parts COD?

Seller: Sure, as long as you pay the fee (Usually just a few dollars)

Buyer: No problem at all.

Seller: Sends parts COD

UPS/Fed EX/ Mailman: Knock Knock Mr. Buyer , we have a COD deliver for the amount of $$$.

Buyer: Here is the Money Order Thank You

UPS/Fed Ex/Mailman: Accept Money order and has you sign that he has taken possesion of the money.

UPS/Fed Ex/Mailman: Turns monies into thier channel of operations where abouts the monies are sent toe the seller

Seller: Sweet, I got my money

Buyer: Friggon awesome, I got the parts I paid for and did not get scammed

UPS/Fed Ex/Mailman: Just another day doing our jobs

Pappy: can you believe it took this to explain a simple operation:eek2:

05LSR250R
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! ROTFLMAO! THAT WAS GOOD PAPPY!

Brauap
02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Buyer: can you send me the parts COD?

Seller: Sure, as long as you pay the fee (Usually just a few dollars)

Buyer: No problem at all.

Seller: Sends parts COD

UPS/Fed EX/ Mailman: Knock Knock Mr. Buyer , we have a COD deliver for the amount of $$$.

Buyer: Here is the Money Order Thank You

UPS/Fed Ex/Mailman: Accept Money order and has you sign that he has taken possesion of the money.

UPS/Fed Ex/Mailman: Turns monies into thier channel of operations where abouts the monies are sent toe the seller

Seller: Sweet, I got my money

Buyer: Friggon awesome, I got the parts I paid for and did not get scammed

UPS/Fed Ex/Mailman: Just another day doing our jobs

Pappy: can you believe it took this to explain a simple operation:eek2:

Thanks so much pappy! I actually, honestly understand the method read well now! Thank You! One more question.. does the buyer give the mailman cash?

05LSR250R
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
NO. Yoy give him aC.O.D. that you get from the your bank. Ive also heard it called check on delivery. Thanx.

tri5ron
02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Pappy,
Can you please explain to me the difference between
Fresh North Atlantic Cod,
and Bird's Eye Frozen Fish Sticks ???

Hahahahaha,
Sorry Colton,...
I just couldn't resist.

Pappy
02-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I apologise for the spelling errors. I go faster then this wireless keyboard can handle:p

brian76708
02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I apologise for the spelling errors. I go faster then this wireless keyboard can handle:p

you are way more patient then me. i would have been done explaining it after the 2nd time.

Pappy
02-05-2009, 09:00 PM
bahhh..no biggy really

I just dont want folks to get ripped off. I mean there are many members here that I wouldthink twice about buying from...but....

If I saw a member with no feedback and 10 posts...I would be doing some serious thinking before I bought from them using any other method then COD( Braup...Money orders, certified bank checks etc are usually all acceptable...NO CASH)

I wish we had some kind of system to get rid of bad sellers once and for all but there isnt one. If we ban them, they are back in an hour. If we ban the IP, we could end up banning a bunch of good members that share IP's (AOL Users)

We have a Blacklist in the traderfeedback, but right now a young US Marine is getting hosed because he didnt read the list!

Pro1200
02-05-2009, 10:28 PM
COD is good and all but what about when people work all day...and UPS shows up at 2 and nobody is home to sign for it?

Pappy
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Pro1200
COD is good and all but what about when people work all day...and UPS shows up at 2 and nobody is home to sign for it?

There is always a mom..dad..brother..neighbor etc.

Its not a perfect set up, but when you are skeptical about the buyer, caution should be the word of the day! There is some serious money being ripped off out there....many thousands right here on this site almost weekly if not daily! Go read some ofthe trader feedback horror stories from folks who are out money and time. Remember, this is just a suggestion, and hopefully one that will atleast make folks think a bit harder when buying ANYTHING online.

05LSR250R
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I always send it to my buddies body shop. Hes there all day and knows what to look for and if hes happy with the product I will be to. In other words have it sent to somewhere that you know someone will be.

quad2xtreme
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Pappy,

can you put a conversation together so I can get out of going to a piano concert tonight with my wife? I would still like some action though...:D

05LSR250R
02-06-2009, 09:36 AM
(LOL) Just piss her off really good!! She'll either not want to go at all, leave your as! at home or go with someone else. Of course you wont be getti' any! But thers always the makeup sex down the road in the near future. (LOL)

Pappy
02-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Pappy,

can you put a conversation together so I can get out of going to a piano concert tonight with my wife? I would still like some action though...:D

Pretend you have really bad gas. She wont want to be embaressed and you will be left home or she will forget the trip. Have a bathroom break, shower and tell her your ready to go (conviently to late to make the concert)