PDA

View Full Version : Self Porting...???

SHIFTx450
02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok. Bear with me... I intend on buying a 13.5:1, hotcam stg2, and dont have money to get the head ported, so i would like to do it myself.. I want to know who has attempted to port their 450r head... What kind of critical areas need to be paid special attention to, pictures of the process maybe... What kind of grits and tools are necessary for it.. I saw some pics of the other thread of the guy who just had his done.. Guess I could compare.. But I was reading an article online about some port and polish kit and the process, but it was from a Chevy 350 lol.. I can't imagine it being too different as long as you know what areas to pay attention to.. And feedback would be sweet.

venom450r
02-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Unless you know what you're doing leave it to the pros. It's really easy to do more harm than good...

hendershot106
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by venom450r
Unless you know what you're doing leave it to the pros. It's really easy to do more harm than good...

X 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHIFTx450
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
lol. I was waiting for that response... I am waiting to hear back from curtis sparks, i sent them a message inquiring about their work... I dunno. I aint scared, and am very good with my wrenching, just have never ported before.. I believe in myself enough not to f' it up..

pro-rider46
02-05-2009, 04:38 PM
chances are you will make it flow much worse than good. my porter(DRG) spends 16-20 hours on each head. making sure it flows well.

weinerdoggys
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
contact C&D Racing. They will do for a VERY reasonable price. I'd be willing to bet by the time you bought all the stuff to do it, you probally have them do it.

Ripitupfilms
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SHIFTx450
lol. I was waiting for that response... I am waiting to hear back from curtis sparks, i sent them a message inquiring about their work... I dunno. I aint scared, and am very good with my wrenching, just have never ported before.. I believe in myself enough not to f' it up..

they arnt gona tell you anything about wat they do. every company is different and most are very secretive about what they do.

and please dont just go grinding away. porting is an art that takes years and alot ok knowledge and time to know exactly what you want out of a motor.

Drewltr450
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
2-strokes are much easier to do by yourself. But 4's are very very tricky.

Chino886
02-06-2009, 06:52 AM
I will agree/disagree with what everyone has posted here. You can do a "clean up" port job by yourself. By clean up, I mean cleaning up the casting marks etc. The pros put lots of time and research into their "formulas". I am doing my own porting now, with good results. I don't recommend it to everyone, the proper tools are expensive. I have had bronchitis once from porting also. You will also want some way to test the flow on the head, either by flowbench or dyno. I had extra heads so I went ahead and started on them. Just know that in the end, you may lose power if you mess it up!

Here is a head I ported that I sent out for independent flow testing on a very accurate flow bench and operated by a knowledgeable builder of 450Rs.

Carry on!

joedirt
02-06-2009, 11:41 AM
If a porter takes 16-20 hrs to port how much does he charge?

Ripitupfilms
02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
one standard price. doesnt go by hours

Originally posted by joedirt
If a porter takes 16-20 hrs to port how much does he charge?

SHIFTx450
02-06-2009, 12:51 PM
lol.. nevermind i guess.. thought it would be easy... guess ill go with plan B, and send it to Curtis Sparks..

02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Its not that difficult to do a port cleanup yourself. Just take your time and dont try to rush through it. I have done it to a junk head and it turned out decent. I wasnt grinding chunks off just shaving them a bit to smooth out all the casting marks and flaws. If I ever have the time and my quad is a part I'll give it a try.

chad502ex
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
I will agree/disagree with what everyone has posted here. You can do a "clean up" port job by yourself. By clean up, I mean cleaning up the casting marks etc. The pros put lots of time and research into their "formulas". I am doing my own porting now, with good results. I don't recommend it to everyone, the proper tools are expensive. I have had bronchitis once from porting also. You will also want some way to test the flow on the head, either by flowbench or dyno. I had extra heads so I went ahead and started on them. Just know that in the end, you may lose power if you mess it up!

Here is a head I ported that I sent out for independent flow testing on a very accurate flow bench and operated by a knowledgeable builder of 450Rs.

Carry on!

Looking at the center of your graph, everyone should be able to read the silhouette of the builder your referring of. Thanks Dave.

Dave400ex
02-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by SHIFTx450
lol.. nevermind i guess.. thought it would be easy... guess ill go with plan B, and send it to Curtis Sparks..

There are much better choices then Sparks. Not saying anything bad, but your paying alot for the name.

rt20ps
02-07-2009, 08:06 AM
There are alot of guys going the CNC route. IMO you can get no better.

gcart2
02-07-2009, 10:07 AM
put some sand (make sure its real fine) in your air filter (about a 2 cups worth) and crank it up and revv it out realll good. it will port and polish it out real nice. :p

Dave400ex
02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by rt20ps
There are alot of guys going the CNC route. IMO you can get no better.

Yep this is true, Moto-Xperts is doing CNC porting and the bronze seats and guides. He is getting awesome flow numbers on the flow bench with results to match. I look for it to improve more this year once they get into their new shop with Dynojet dyno and Serdi machine.