PDA

View Full Version : Neck Braces,I JUST CANT!!!

1socal450
02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I purchased a EVS RC-EVOLUTION brace and just cant get used to riding with it.I cant move around enough,cant turn my head,if someones coming up to my side,I need to spot them!I feel way too restricted! I tried on my friends Leatt(it was also in his gear bag,not being used)and the result was the same!Way too restricted!Anyone have the same problem?Any suggestions on getting used to it?I would love to use it,but I get frustrated wearing it!

05LSR250R
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Theres gotta be way to turn your head. I watch the pros on tv and see them be able to turn their head to the side. Have you contacted the manufacturer? Hope you get it figured out, might save ya someday. Thanx.

eastside 400
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
i have an alpinestars and i feel no restrictions when riding, i can tell its there but no problems

02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm the same way with goggles. I know I am an idiot for not wearing it but I can't really explain why.. they just make me feel.. restricted lol. I can't stand wearing them.

BlaineKaiser450
02-05-2009, 04:14 PM
i know its not the same, but i have a Leatt and i cant even tell i have it on

TWISTED DINLI
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
i know its not the same, but i have a Leatt and i cant even tell i have it on

same here other than when i tilt my head back but ive gotten used it

CannondaleRider
02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
A lot of it depends on how you hold your shoulders when you're riding, how short your neck is(sounds funny, but true), and possibly how far your helmet comes down.

I don't even notice it, except for tilting my head back(IE: leaning way back, trying to look way forward.) But, teammates of mine can't wear them at all, for the same reason you can't.

It's kinda just hit and miss.

wayfastwhitey69
02-05-2009, 08:09 PM
ive got a leatte and i cant even tell im wearing it now

JIM GRACE
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
the leatt brace from your friends gear bag,,,, there are
adjustment that change the fit of the leatt. when my son first tried
it on it did'nt fit but with some changes( longer side clasps and
diffrent spine piece) it fits perfect.

the evs brace looks uncomfortable. imo but i read that chad wienen
is switching to it after a shoulder injury for 09

the alpinestars unit is sweet, but i laughed when i saw the price.

02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I'm the same way with goggles. I know I am an idiot for not wearing it but I can't really explain why.. they just make me feel.. restricted lol. I can't stand wearing them.

Very understandable. Even with my wide lense goggles I usually ride without goggles because I have better depth perception and viewing angle. Its also much more airflow to the head. Its not a good thing i've done blind jumps and coming out of turns so I usually try and be in front of everyone but when you go to lap and your riding the rear of thir quad theres not much you can do besides pull the goggles up quick, I always wear them around my neck.

DP #000
02-05-2009, 09:01 PM
same with my leatte i cant even tell im wearing one. Its deffinaly one of the best things i have boughten. Wrecking over whoops 4th gear wide open, i was certinaly happy i was wearing it

riverhonda
02-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I couldn't be happier with my leatt brace!! it took one or two rides to get use to it but after that i couldn't even tell it was even there. i feel a lot safer with it on!

QuadJunkies
02-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by JIM GRACE
the evs brace looks uncomfortable. imo but i read that chad wienen
is switching to it after a shoulder injury for 09

IVe read a few are also making the switch for similar reasons and some just prefer the fit and feel of the EVS.
We have a little dif. situation with my Daughter as she too had already had an injury thats going to most likely keep her from wearing a Leatte. She has a plate and screws at the clavical and will not be comfortable what so ever . Also been told after a clavical break its not always a good switch. We just ordered a Leatte for my Son ,I hope he adapts to it with no probems. I have a freind whos getting the EVS. Im hoping this will be an alternative for her to wear, Im going ot have her try it on and see how it feels.
Ive talk to a couple of the WORCS riders and they too cant get used to the neck braces . I bet alot does have to do with preference in fit and feel and we all are built so differently.

eastside 400
02-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Alpinestar is hands down the best, there is no arguement, you get what you pay for, i was the same as everyone else when it came out thinking it was an overpriced leatt but its not even close, my local shop showed me the ins and outs and thats y i got it. Yea the pricetag is high but if you have a sponsorship from anyone who sells them then u can get discounts! Leatts do not allow anyone to discount their products even if they are sponsored riders, Also alpine is comming out with a plastic version instead of carbon which will retail for around 400 bucks!

Basically if you crash at all with a leatt, even if its not a head impact crash, you are breaking your colar bone, i know a bunch of friends who rode with leatts this year and in normal just fall off crashes they broke their colar bones because that is where the leatt transfers the force to, the alpinestars actually sits about 1/2" off of your colar bone and protects it, transfering the impact forces to your back and chest where your body can handle it. Also the alpinestars brace also prevents your spine from compressing to a dangerous amount whereas no other brace does, the bionic limits the amount of down travel your head has if you land square on your head or fall and are pushed into something head first.

The disadvantage to the alpinestars is chest protector options, they are few are far between that fit, i cant even cut mine to fit but id rather worry about that instead. I am not sponsored by alpinestars at all, the local shop sells all three braces and stocks them, i bought the most expensive even with my discount just because of how they explained it to me because i thought like everyone else.

XXX -rider
02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
"Basically if you crash at all with a leatt, even if its not a head impact crash, you are breaking your colar bone"

..^ absolutely NOT true !!.. if you disagree show PROOF!

"Alpinestar is hands down the best"

^ ..show bonified , certified proof !!...studies etc

not just words of someone who bought the product

eastside 400
02-07-2009, 11:18 PM
well ok, maybe not every non head impact crash but it is a serious "defect" with the leatt, the leatt still does what its designed to do and i cant take that from it because it does work great but it sits on your colar bone so if it transfers impact your going to break your colar bone most likely, my friends have fallen and put their arms out and when they landed since one arm hit the ground it forced the leatt to push on the opposite colar bone.

XXX -rider
02-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
well ok, maybe not every non head impact crash but it is a serious "defect" with the leatt, the leatt still does what its designed to do and i cant take that from it because it does work great but it sits on your colar bone so if it transfers impact your going to break your colar bone most likely, my friends have fallen and put their arms out and when they landed since one arm hit the ground it forced the leatt to push on the opposite colar bone.

mostly whaT I am reading here is called
"opinionated speculation ":(

when you can come up with studies, hard facts & proof of a defect..then you will have a leg to stand in !!

IMO its the alpinestar thats overpriced

paying more & getting less ..as I see less protection around the collarbone area,.. my view on it .is a hard sideways impact with it could promote a broken neck

trick450r
02-08-2009, 10:11 AM
i was never able to wear any brace when i was racing, i just need that full range of motion, and i have a long neck so it never fit me right.

To the kid that said he cant wear goggles YOUR AN IDIOT, wait till a rock rips an eye out of your head then you'll change your mind.

QuadJunkies
02-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Im not defending anyone BUT... seriously I have heard by a couple others the same thing on the clavical injuries. I had debated on the EVS because of that reason. I dont know enough about all of them ,but I was told there wasnt really much if anything dif. with the leatte design and the Alpinestar one.
Someone at an aftermarket Co. told my ole man the same thing eastside 400 said, so maybe there might be some true to this .
After hearing all the troubles the EVS fitting well, thats what changed my mind on that one for my son. He is narrow threw the shoulders and I had a feeling fit wouldnt be as good.
My Daughter however is broad,so Im hoping this might be a good one for her.
Im not bias to anything YET, Im just glad we all have some choices :)

eastside 400
02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
by no way am i saying the alpine is cheap or anything, but you have to compare apples to apples with it and the leatt, the 400 leatt is not on the same level as the alpinestars, the 400 leatt is glass reinforced nylon and not carbon fibre like the sport one is, the sport one is 600$, the alpinestars is fully carbon fibre, yes its still more expensive but it doesnt seem so unreasonable now, also alpinestars is designing a plastic version that should be around $400 which will be right with the plastic leatt. i would try to go to somewhere that has all 3 in stock so you can try them on and bring your personal chest protector/helmet with you to make sure everything fits before you go ahead and buy one. i saw a little while ago that thor is making one as well as six six one, 661's is going to incorporate and chest protector which will end up being the best for overall protection IMO, im not sure why alpinestars didnt make theirs to go with their own chest protectors but idk.

Basically all 3 are leaps above just a neckroll, it all depends on budget and personal fit. i was just trying to say what ive learned and why i made the decision that i did. im not trying to start anything or say that the leatt sucks because it doesnt. everything is just my opinion.

XXX -rider
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
IMO the LEATT is the best ...simple as that 'nuff said !!

& Quadjunkies ,,perhaps check into he EVS shoulder /collarbone brace for her ...its padded nicely so perhaps the brace's padding will cushion the area some & make the Leatt tolerable if she wears it under the Leatt brace etc.. worth a try IMO
I wore 1 for awhile ,it helped after I broke my C bone awhile back ( not from a leatt) ...& its gonna take maybe 1.5 years or so before the ache/residual pain stops ..

400grl
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I just bought the EVS brace a month or so ago....never raced with ANY type of neck support before I started racing Rhinos.....in CORR, we HAD to have substantial neck/head support in order to even be allowed to race - and it was very restrictive - but I have wrecked several times with it on and didn't even get a sore neck.

Getting back into quad racing, I felt nekked without a neck support of some kind. I liked the price and design of the EVS...so....I bought one. I fit a SM very well, and it fits perfectly with my Fox Airframe AND my Fox Raceframe.

The thing is...you guys have to get used to it. I didn't like it at ALL the first time I used it. So....I took out the neck roll, and just started using the frame portion of it. Until I got used to that......then, I took out the extra padding in the neck roll (you can unzip the back of the neckroll and remove two layers of padding) and have been riding with the neck roll as well now. If you do it in baby steps like I did, you will get used to it....and then you will WEAR it - which is the important thing. I mean....we all raced without these things forever.....and we've all wrecked and most of us have come out of those wrecks just fine. But my main fear is endoing and breaking my neck......this at least helps me feel like if that should ever happen, at least I'm giving myself the best chance possible to come out of that situation alive.

Just my .o2 - gotta give it a chance!

QuadJunkies
02-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by XXX -rider
IMO the LEATT is the best ...simple as that 'nuff said !!

& Quadjunkies ,,perhaps check into he EVS shoulder /collarbone brace for her ...its padded nicely so perhaps the brace's padding will cushion the area some & make the Leatt tolerable if she wears it under the Leatt brace etc.. worth a try IMO
I wore 1 for awhile ,it helped after I broke my C bone awhile back ( not from a leatt) ...& its gonna take maybe 1.5 years or so before the ache/residual pain stops ..
I will,thanks for the info!
She having her hardware removed in a few months,its giving her too much grief now so its time to have it taken out .This cold winter is really making her ache where the plate is . :(

QuadJunkies
02-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
I just bought the EVS brace a month or so ago....never raced with ANY type of neck support before I started racing Rhinos.....in CORR, we HAD to have substantial neck/head support in order to even be allowed to race - and it was very restrictive - but I have wrecked several times with it on and didn't even get a sore neck.

Getting back into quad racing, I felt nekked without a neck support of some kind. I liked the price and design of the EVS...so....I bought one. I fit a SM very well, and it fits perfectly with my Fox Airframe AND my Fox Raceframe.

The thing is...you guys have to get used to it. I didn't like it at ALL the first time I used it. So....I took out the neck roll, and just started using the frame portion of it. Until I got used to that......then, I took out the extra padding in the neck roll (you can unzip the back of the neckroll and remove two layers of padding) and have been riding with the neck roll as well now. If you do it in baby steps like I did, you will get used to it....and then you will WEAR it - which is the important thing. I mean....we all raced without these things forever.....and we've all wrecked and most of us have come out of those wrecks just fine. But my main fear is endoing and breaking my neck......this at least helps me feel like if that should ever happen, at least I'm giving myself the best chance possible to come out of that situation alive.

Just my .o2 - gotta give it a chance!

One thing I havent looked into yet is do they fit with most chest protectors? Kelsey wears the womens FOX still (with the bump style (its the only one we have found that fits "the girls" well:o ) so we stuck with it . ITs going to take some time getting this girl to wear one I think,she is stubborn! lol It took abit to get her to faithfully wear her knee pads and brace, but its now just a part of the atire,so in time I think the braces will be also.

400grl
02-10-2009, 07:53 AM
It fits all 3 of my chest protectors......Acerbis Lady Fusion, Fox Airframe, and Fox Raceframe.....so....I would imagine it would fit the girls Fox one? If you can find a store that sells them, just go in, take her with and try them all on at once. Then you'll know for sure.....

QuadJunkies
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
It fits all 3 of my chest protectors......Acerbis Lady Fusion, Fox Airframe, and Fox Raceframe.....so....I would imagine it would fit the girls Fox one? If you can find a store that sells them, just go in, take her with and try them all on at once. Then you'll know for sure.....
The stores around here a lame.:ermm:
But I do have a friend locally who is going ot get one and Im going to have her try his on when he gets it.