PDA

View Full Version : Silly Skid Plate Question...

Bryson#221
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Heya.

So I am going to the dunes this weekend and I just spent the last hour swapping out my suspension and changing out of my Hoosier racing tires (set up for flat track)...we took the skid plate off my bike for my racing season and now I am not sure where we put the stupid thing. I am worried because I am hoping my sprocket & chain are okay for just one dune trip without being protected by the plate. What do you guys think?

Thnxx :blah:

sonof_perdition
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
The only skid plate I run is the one directly under the engine on the bottom of the frame. I do not run a swinger or a-arm skid. I ride only at the dunes. Just be aware of any roots and rocks on some of the nasty holes. If you stay away from the forest trails and nasty holes... I recon you will be ok. But if you break something, I am not liable. Thats just how I roll on the sand. Thants a lot of work for a 3 to 4 hour drive and a day ride... you need a dune specific quad. lol

Bryson#221
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by sonof_perdition
The only skid plate I run is the one directly under the engine on the bottom of the frame. Thants a lot of work for a 3 to 4 hour drive and a day ride... you need a dune specific quad. lol

The skid plate I run is the one that goes right under my swing arm. I ride my quad more on the sand than I do on dirt- this will just be my first time going without my skid plate. Silly, I am only an hour away from the dunes, not 4. Lol.

sonof_perdition
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Bryson#221
Silly, I am only an hour away from the dunes, not 4. Lol.

Oh Snap!! For real?! For some reason I thought you were up PDX way....

I found that my swinger skid kinda acted like an anchor in the sand at the bottom and tops of dunes. Especially when I would load my shocks... it filled with sand... My wife still likes to run with al her factory skids though.

02-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I run skid plates in the sand just because of the roots and rocks on trails. Open areas your usually fine but once you go near trees and stuff theres probally things in the trails. I hear my skidplate clunk when i'm trail riding and I just htink of how it probally saved 1 of my parts from damage. I took off the engine skid plate and I have had it off for 6 months. The previous owner bought the thick size fr even the engine I think it weighed 7lbs. It protects a lot and keeps the quad cleaner I might put it back on.

hypersnyper6947
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I dont even use skids in the trails, i think you will be fine in the dunes.

sonof_perdition
02-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Well how was it? Pics?

Nevermind... found 'em