PDA

View Full Version : Criegs List

Old Head
02-05-2009, 02:29 AM
To go with pappy's post, here in jersey they are stealing dirtbikes and quads from people selling on criegs list. The crooks have you come to them unload and start the bike. then jump on it and take off.so far the paper said they got a crf 125, 400ex, and a yfz 450.

gcart2
02-05-2009, 03:54 AM
i read that twice and still dont get it?

Old Head
02-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by gcart2
i read that twice and still dont get it?

What don't you get? You put your bike up for sale, someone calls you and tells you to meet them at a certain place. They then get you to unload your bike and start it up so they can check it out. They then push you out of the way and take off down the road, hence stealing your bike. < any clearer?

631kfx400
02-05-2009, 04:27 AM
yea i herd that people are getting peoples adresses and saying they will go the next day but will go over night and stel the stuff. dirt bags:mad:

gcart2
02-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
What don't you get? You put your bike up for sale, someone calls you and tells you to meet them at a certain place. They then get you to unload your bike and start it up so they can check it out. They then push you out of the way and take off down the road, hence stealing your bike. < any clearer?

much better.

no i alway take someone with me. and the .357 stays in clear sight in my belt loop.

05LSR250R
02-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Yeah, packing heat and making sure everyone knows you are is a huge deterrent! You can also simply hook up toyr tether switch to your belt loop if ya got one on the quad. Buddies being present always helps! The cops ought to set up a sting but they really dont give a rats *** now do they?

smr
02-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I sell a lot of bikes and quads, I always do the same thing anybody once to test ride one. I make them give me the money for the bike then they can test ride all they want. If they want the bike I keep the money if they don't want the bike I give them the money back.

If they are not willing to do this then they are not serious about buying.

buck440
02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
or the best way i see it is to put a vary extremely limited amount of gas in it, like from the petcock and lower:scary:

05LSR250R
02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Wouldn't that be great! The guy sucker punches ta then takes off and the bike dies 50 ft. later!! Then ya just run up and destroy him! LMFAO) I love it!!

trick450r
02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
This is why no one test rides my stuff unless its on my property, and i always take the cash first.

csr250r
02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by buck440
or the best way i see it is to put a vary extremely limited amount of gas in it, like from the petcock and lower:scary:

:)

tach13
02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
yeah i got my permit to carry and i use it. i have a s&w .45 any time im exchanging cash.:devil:

hypersnyper6947
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by tach13
yeah i got my permit to carry and i use it. i have a s&w .45 any time im exchanging cash.:devil:

Yep!

mittman
02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
you can put as much gas in it as you want to just get one of those remotes that the little 50cc bikes have once hes 50 foot down the road shut if off on him. i want to do that to my bike and just let someone steal it so i could do that to them my luck i would hook it up wrong and the remote not work.

Robin Hood
02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I've been seeing a lot of those posts over on craigslist. Sucks for us honest buyers who can't test out the bikes anymore cause of dirt bags like that.

derekhonda
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
When I am selling something I don't ever give my address out to a stranger. I meet them at a hospital down the road, write down their license plate number, and then they follow me back to my house where i usually pull in behind them in the drive.

tri5ron
02-05-2009, 12:26 PM
best way is to never put yourself into a position where you are not in control of the situation.

I mean seriously, are you going to shoot someone for taking off on a $1000 or $2000 sale and put your self in a position of going to jail for murder/manslaughter ?
or worse yet, end up getting shot from the other guy with him?

My life and my families well being is far more important than that.

Have you ever actually pulled and drawn down on a human being with your finger on the trigger? (I have). Most people won't/or cant, pull the trigger. (fortunately, I didn't have to).

don't get me wrong, I pack plenty often, and if it became necessary to survive or protect family,....
you can bet that it's about to get "real loud".

maybe SPDSNYPR (sp?) could chime in on the laws of using excessive force, and the potential consequences.

As for when I am BUYING from someone,...
I ALWAYS say that I will come by to check it out first, and if I like it, I will come back LATER with the cash.
(even if I am actually carrying the cash with me).

If the seller is legitimate, and truly wants to sell his item, they wont mind.

If he has a problem with that, then it already smells fishy to me.

bottom line is to stay in controll of the situation as much as is reasonably possible.

just my .02 cents worth.

smr
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
best way is to never put yourself into a position where you are not in control of the situation.

I mean seriously, are you going to shoot someone for taking off on a $1000 or $2000 sale and put your self in a position of going to jail for murder/manslaughter ?
or worse yet, end up getting shot from the other guy with him?

My life and my families well being is far more important than that.

Have you ever actually pulled and drawn down on a human being with your finger on the trigger? (I have). Most people won't/or cant, pull the trigger. (fortunately, I didn't have to).

don't get me wrong, I pack plenty often, and if it became necessary to survive or protect family,....
you can bet that it's about to get "real loud".

maybe SPDSNYPR (sp?) could chime in on the laws of using excessive force, and the potential consequences.

As for when I am BUYING from someone,...
I ALWAYS say that I will come by to check it out first, and if I like it, I will come back LATER with the cash.
(even if I am actually carrying the cash with me).

If the seller is legitimate, and truly wants to sell his item, they wont mind.

If he has a problem with that, then it already smells fishy to me.

bottom line is to stay in controll of the situation as much as is reasonably possible.

just my .02 cents worth.

not bad advice.

The law on excessive force verys from state to state. In Ky we can use deadly for to protect ourselves even out side the home. If someone pushed you down then they have vialated your safety and you have the right to use deadly force.

now weather or not you would could be debated forever....most would say they could but would not be able to. If they could then they would most likely be the guy running off with the quad.

buck440
02-05-2009, 03:21 PM
just remember kids, from the waist up it's attempted murder......so bust a sucka in the knee cap and his face will look like this :eek: instead of this :o

TCracin440ex
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
i was always taught if you pull a gun you better shoot to kill so there is only one side of the story!!

jcv400ex
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
WTF IS Criegs List???????

Pappy
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I wouldnt worry about anyone shootinga nyone..we all know how that talk is...

What you should be concerned with is allowing someone to test ride anything. If they wreck and are injured, you my friend are screwed. It may sound corny, but a simple release or damage waiver can go along way in keeping you out of trouble!

derekhonda
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I had a guy down a cbr in my driveway. He came and looked at it once (didnt ride) and told me he was coming back with cash and wanted me to teach him to ride it. Guess I didnt do a very good job cause he went about 5 feet and just fell over, bu sted a mirror off and that was really it, maybe a scratch or two but very minimal. I was very lucky, he goes "well guess i got to buy it now" and handed over the money. Could have been a different story i suppose, got to be careful out there.

Pappy
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I had a buddy one time go to look at a truck. He stepped out of his dads car and was immediatley bitten by the truck sellers dog:eek: The guy felt so bad he gave him the truck:p Thats was in the 80's....I would imagine today he would have sued the dog owner and bought a new truck:chinese:

tach13
02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
ive never had to even draw my gun and hope i never have to, but i do bring it with. but i also bring a friend and feel the situation out.

ridered92
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
well me and both of my brother are 6'3 + so if there stuipd enough to try somthing with all three of us there well its not going to be pretty. also theres always a gun close by but that would eb to easy in my opion i rather give them a old fashion ***** whoopin:D