PDA

View Full Version : Pappy, can you inspect parts before paying COD?

tri5ron
02-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Pappy,
I saw your announcement, and it is true that alot of scams are out there right now, and that's good advice to be extra careful.

But can you actually open and inspect a package while the delivery company is standing there waiting, before paying for it?

I'm not trying to suggest that it CANT be done,...
It's just in my experience, no COD package can be opened for inspection prior to paying, outside of some obvious damage to the packaging caused during shipment.

just a thought.

Pappy
02-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Sure you can!

I do it all the time , especially if a box has taken some rough handling. The biggest drawback to COD is that someone needs to be there to accept it ofcourse. This might mean having it shipped to your work or making needed arrangements to be home or picking it up at the UPS facility if its close enough.

It takes all of 60 seconds to open a box and check that you have recieved what you paid for. Most of the Fed Ex and UPS will fully understand what your doing, infact while your inspecting whats in the box you can offer an explaination...and by the time you have said what you need to say it will be all done:p If you mention scams and rip off's, they are 99.9% of the time willing to help. Keep a roll of packing tape handy because if its wrong, it shouldnt be left to the driver to have to re tape the box. We are talking a quick peek here.

Also, the main reason for COD is to assure you actually get the parts. With paypal, people can just take the cash and never ship anything, which is most common as far as getting screwed goes.

It is a crying shame we have people that are out to get people, especially when we are all in this sport together.

ae13291
02-05-2009, 03:17 AM
^^^^ so how does it work. i tell the seller to send me a item and when i recieve it and all is good then i pay for it:confused:

Pappy
02-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Yep. You pay with a money order or cash I believe. UPS or Fed Ex act as the collection agent. They charge the seller a few dollars for the trouble, but your can offer to pay that fee, its a small price to pay for knowing you will get your item. If its doesnt show up, the seller doeant get paid.

For sellers, honest ones anyway, it will be a few extra steps during the shipping process. Some wont like it, but if they want folks to buy from them then they shouldnt have an issue. The money, once collected from the buyer is then sent on to the seller.

You can read the COD rules or requirements online at both shipping companys websites

racerdan24
02-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Pappy is dead on with this....Not only are you assured of getting what you ordered but it also protects you the customer to make sure that the companys shipping the item did not damage the item in transit...which you all know how ginger the big companys handle your packages.

It makes it easier for you to file a claim as well if they do damage something. If you accept the package,and then find out it is broke in transit they give you a hard time filing a claim. If it is damaged, then you can refuse and have resent back to original shipper as refused/damaged.

hondaking52
02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
alot of the company's i've dealt with wont do COD, not shure if its cause i'm from canada or wat?

Pappy
02-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by hondaking52
alot of the company's i've dealt with wont do COD, not shure if its cause i'm from canada or wat?

We are mainly refering to private sales between individuals. Like buying from the classifieds etc

Many sellers wont do COD...and thats fine. But if I dont know or trust someone, I will buy elsewhere.

buck440
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by hondaking52
alot of the company's i've dealt with wont do COD, not shure if its cause i'm from canada or wat? i think thats the exact reason ey :p

hondaking52
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by buck440
i think thats the exact reason ey :p haha, knowbody trust's us igloo folk....lmao, and ya thts a good point pappy

hondaking52
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
i think thats the exact reason ey :p and its pronounced eh**, hahahaha

buck440
02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
ok eh :D

racerdan24
02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Beauty eh! GO HABS GO!lol

hondaking52
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
hahahahahahaha

Pappy
02-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Silly canadians:p

dunatic
02-05-2009, 04:26 PM
sometime ago there was a fella on ebay selling atv parts. he'd weigh them so he knew what the package had to be at when it left town. then he'd put used auto parts in the box and ship em. then when the buyer would complain he would show pics of what was supposed to be in there on a scale showing the shipped weight. he would say the buyer is commiting a scam on him. He would put in his description that all sales were final, no refund, used parts, etc. everything that allowed him to get away with it.

he got his in the end. doing 5 years right now. all because he took a postal money order, then shipped thru the mail. MAIL FRAUD and the post master got him. too bad too, cause he's only 23 or thereabouts. not to mention, so nearby buyers took a drive to his parents front door with the local cops, and the cops took everything atv related that wasn't tied down. They showed up with every pic and even if it was attached to a bike they took it.

not a good way to start your life....not to mention his parents will do him right when he does get out. word has it the cops took both of dads bikes too.

i still think that paypal is the safest for all out there.

buck440
02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
if its canadian beacon in america, would it be american beacon in canada? and do you guys hate americans when they cross the border and take your jobs like mexicans do to us?

hondaking52
02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
lol, idk man, beacons? lol

buck440
02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
oh man my bad, its spelled bacon, i feel so stupid:rolleyes:

hondaking52
02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
oh man my bad, its spelled bacon, i feel so stupid:rolleyes: lol, no worries, we just call it peameal bacon, i guess you guys started the canadian thing...funny story, went to harveys up here(do you guys have harveys?) wen they were sellin the burger with canadian bacon, and i asked for the burger with the peameal, she was like huh????, damm new canadians...lol, i might be the only one who laughs but i thought it was funny, lol

buck440
02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
never herd of the place, here in the good ole usa we just call it bacon.

hondaking52
02-05-2009, 10:11 PM
never herd of the place, here in the good ole usa we just call it bacon. hmm, thought it was an american company....o well, lol

buck440
02-05-2009, 11:19 PM
we have a hardeys if thats what you ment? they sell burgers.

dunatic
02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
it's referred to as "Canadian STYLE Bacon" meaning it's cut into pattys instead of long strips and it's not normally smoke cured.

hondaking52
02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
it's referred to as "Canadian STYLE Bacon" meaning it's cut into pattys instead of long strips and it's not normally smoke cured. ur correct about the patty part, but i think its a different part of the pig, i may be wrong tho...