PDA

View Full Version : K&N outerwears fit UNI

hypersnyper6947
02-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Will my outerwears filter from my K&N fit a UNI filter. Just wondering b/c i think im going to switch and i want to know if im going to have to buy a new outerwears also.

hondaguy20
02-05-2009, 08:57 AM
you shouldn't have to use an outerwear on a UNI filter because the filter is foam, whereas the K&N is a paper element filter. As long as you keep your UNI oiled and clean it when it get dirty you won't have any issues where you would need an outerwear.

hypersnyper6947
02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
The only readon i was thinking of keeping my outerwears was b/c here in florida it can rain at the drop of a hat. So if it starts to rain when im on the trail i want some sort of protection from water.

Also UNI guys what filter cleaner and oil do you guys use?

NacsMXer
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
The only readon i was thinking of keeping my outerwears was b/c here in florida it can rain at the drop of a hat. So if it starts to rain when im on the trail i want some sort of protection from water.

Also UNI guys what filter cleaner and oil do you guys use?

The Outerwears for the K&N won't fit the UNI....the UNI is much longer, i've had both of them. Also good choice on the switch to the UNI, it filters much better than the K&N from my experiences with them.

As far as filter cleaner and oil, you can pretty much use any cleaner/oil that is made for foam filters. You can use UNI brand to be safe but you don't really have to. Right now i'm using PRO Honda foam filter cleaner, oil, and filter sealer and it works great....it's actually made by No Toil which is good stuff for maintaining filters. Got it at the Honda dealer b/c it was readily available. I've also used PJ1 cleaner and oil and it works pretty well, really tacky oil!

rob_990
02-05-2009, 12:54 PM
pJ1 has worked the best for me.

hypersnyper6947
02-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
The Outerwears for the K&N won't fit the UNI....the UNI is much longer, i've had both of them. Also good choice on the switch to the UNI, it filters much better than the K&N from my experiences with them.

As far as filter cleaner and oil, you can pretty much use any cleaner/oil that is made for foam filters. You can use UNI brand to be safe but you don't really have to. Right now i'm using PRO Honda foam filter cleaner, oil, and filter sealer and it works great....it's actually made by No Toil which is good stuff for maintaining filters. Got it at the Honda dealer b/c it was readily available. I've also used PJ1 cleaner and oil and it works pretty well, really tacky oil!

What is filter sealer?

I dont have much room for a longer filter do you think it will fit?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/IM000594.jpg
Now that i look at it i guess i may have enough room still what do you think?

NacsMXer
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
What is filter sealer?

I dont have much room for a longer filter do you think it will fit?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/IM000594.jpg
Now that i look at it i guess i may have enough room still what do you think?

You apply the sealer around the rubber base of the air filter where it clamps to the intake tube. It ensures a air/water tight seal.

I have an aluminum box with the battery inside as well. When I had the K&N it looked like yours does in the pic...with a little space b/t the filter and the battery. Now with the UNI the filter is right against the battery, it's a tight but perfect fit. With the harness on the side of the filter like you have it, it will be a tight fit, but the UNI also has a lot more "give" to it than the K&N so I think it will still fit fine.

hypersnyper6947
02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Cool thanks for the input UNI here i come

02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I highly recomend the outerwears on the foam filter for the places you ride.

hypersnyper6947
02-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I highly recomend the outerwears on the foam filter for the places you ride.

oh yea i was already thinking that, i was just hoping the k&n one would fit,

02-06-2009, 08:04 PM
just curious as to why the switch to UNI?

hypersnyper6947
02-06-2009, 08:42 PM
i heard to many bad things about K&N. I want the best filtration possible, i ride in really dusty conditions sometimes.

02-06-2009, 09:39 PM
i heard to many bad things about K&N. I want the best filtration possible, i ride in really dusty conditions sometimes.

yeah i ride where you do, are you going out there anytime soon? I havent ridden in a month and a half I want to get back out there

hypersnyper6947
02-06-2009, 10:29 PM
My buddies and i usually go about 2 times a month i will let you know when im going so you can meet us out there

02-06-2009, 10:41 PM
sounds good