PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question

ww228king
02-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Ok... I have a question that might be a dumb one, but I am trying to understand something here....
On a KTM dirtbike engine we have been stuffing the case, crank, and everything envolved to get a quicker rev engine. Now I know the Jog type engine is a little different, but are we losing crank pressure through the crank seals? If we are then why is the clutch side cover have them big holes in it? The reason that I ask this is because the KYMCO Mongoose that we had did not have any holes or leaks of any in the clutch side cover. Matter of fact it had a rubber gasket that was reusable to keep it air tight. Then another thing that I see that has brought up this question is the intake spacers....someone said to make volume... I understand that is make volume in the crank side of the engine, but why do you want to add volume on that side of the piston? Yes....dumb questions right.... But with dirtbike theory... we wanted less volume so when the piston comes down it will force the gas and air to the top more quicker and with for force. We were always told that all the volume that you will need on top of the piston is the volume that is under the piston when it is on the up position and what is left in the crankcase is extra...
I know this is alot of rambling and some dumb questions, but i want to make sure that I fully understand these little Joggys... I thought that I was good to go with the KYMCO, but it looks like i need to be schooled again.

:blah:

hotquads1
02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
no , your jog should not lose crankcase pressure nor leak thru the crank seals , they should be airtight . The openings in the cvt cover are for air circulation to help expel heat. I personally do not want to create any extra crankcase volume , the reed spacers are more commonly used to make room for a bigger crank or improve the effeciency of the reeds which can be crowded and at a less than optimal angle for fuel-air mixture to flow freely. Engine builders differ on the benefits of stuffing the case and running the stuffer cranks, but I think most agree that an abundance of air space is not better. hhope this helps you with your ideas.
marc

ww228king
02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
ok... thanks, I had heard some things and wanted to make sure that what I had thought was right..... I know some techs hate to hear the word stuffing..lol