PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for airboot braket with the airbox removed

d3ktrix
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I want to ditch the airbox on my 05.
Using a stock intake boot and sparks filter/ring.

What have you guys made/bought to hold the airboot in place?
I want to make something decent, last thing I want is the intake tube popping off the carb on my brand new rebuilt engine.

pro-rider46
02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
im sure you can grap some small strip of aluminum and bend it to the way the intake is, and drill and tap your sub frame and bolt it in. or you can buy a fci intake. and they do what you want to do. but come with mounts, and flow really good.

venom450r
02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
esr is another good option.
You could trim the airbox leaving one mount on each side & enough material to support it.

d3ktrix
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah I thought about leaving the front part of the box, but I want the space around the carb.

I'm doing this mostly so the bike is easier to clean/work on.

I think so far my best idea is a hose clamp around the airbox boot, with a flat piece of alum crimped to it that bolts to the subframe.

I'm going to stay away from aftermarket intake boots, they normally do worse on the dyno then the stock 05 boot.

hotrodbelair
02-04-2009, 09:44 PM
when i first got my motor back i ran the esr kit and lost alot of bottom end. compared to the stock boot i think mostly cause its short and stays the same diameter all the way through.
right now im runnin the stock airbox chopped just so i have the mounts to the subframe. but im thinkin about investing into one of those fci setups.

d3ktrix
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
From what I've seen the stock 05 boot is still better then even the FCI on large carbs.