PDA

View Full Version : woodruff key sheared

hondav323
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
My woodruff key is sheered on my magneto and i replaced it like 5 times and everytime it just shears again. Is there anything i can do to keep it tight and not shear? Anything will help! Thanks

LTandRaptorider
02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Check the keyway on both the magneto and the shaft. If either is worn, that will cause the key to not fit tight and shear under torque.

shawn3389
02-09-2009, 05:39 AM
mine did the same thing and the prob was the nut it was half stripped and wasn't goin on tight enough......mine been find for over a year now, just make sure nothing is worn and the nut goes on good and tight...

tommygunnz
01-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I know Im really late but if ur key is good and u impact it on u should be fine

TORNADO
02-28-2010, 06:15 PM
I had this happen to me back in 89' with my 88' LT250R in a race against Gary Denton & Donnie Banks. It actually did it to me a couple of times. Heres what I did to find and correct the problem. #1. Take the woodruff key out and put the rotor on the shaft, pushing it all the way on by hand. Dont install the washer or nut at this time. Then grab the rotor and see if there is any rocking on the shaft. if there is, the tapered rotor isnt at the same taper as the shaft. You can correct small indifferances with a little valve lapping compound between the 2 surfaces and a few turns of the rotor. #2. Get a new woodruff key and nut. #3. IMPORTANT torque the nut to the proper torque after youve installed the new woodruff key and washer. After that, you'll never have that problem again. The key thing here is to make sure your tapered surfaces are an identical match to each other, or else it'll happen over and over again. Hope this helps anyone out.