PDA

View Full Version : Sparks 39MM FCR Reviews...

Maryland 400EX
12-22-2002, 12:38 PM
After installing the Sparks X-6 Pipe is was amazed at the added torque and how effortlessly I could motor through the trails. Downshifting was reduced dramatically and I was highly pleased with the pipe. I then called Sparks to order a 39MM FCR set up with his jetting recommendations. The carb came 4 days later and I began to install it. The stock carb with its 3 years of grease and dirt was removed as well as the old throttle cable. Upon fitting the new FCR carb, I noticed that it had more than an 1.5" of mouth on the exit of the carb and only 1/2" of lip inside the cylinder head for it to slide into so it looks like the carb is not all the way in place but it is. I then installed the factory intake boot leading to the K&N filter. I noticed that the intake boot barely had enough length to clamp around the intake lip of the carburetor but it made it. I then installed the new throttle cable provided by Sparks which was the correct length, installed gas line, put the tank and rear plastic back on a was ready for startup. It took a minute for the 39MM to fill with gas but she started on maybe the fifth try. I started it up for about 10 seconds, checked for leaks and then waited for the next day for my first ride since it was dark outside. The next morning I turned on the key and with a slight touch of the starter she fired right up. What a joy. No choke on a 40 degree morning and she idled with not even the slightest hesitation. I hopped on for my first ride to test the newfound power along with my Sparks X-6 pipe. I eased the clutch out in fiirst, then applied maybe 3/4 throttle and by midway through first I was airborne. I was like "Okay", let's see how it pulls through second. I revved first gear all the way out and when I hit second, Whamm! Straight to the sky the headlights aimed. I was amazed! I then slowed down, then rolled on the throttle while in second and instantly this baby was engaged in a massive power wheelie! I began to laugh uncontrollably as I was shocked that this four year old motor has suddenly risen from its grave. Make no mistake, the 39MM FCR carb works VERY WELL on a stock motor so let's kill that theory right now. In fact, I'm willing to bet that it yields more of a power gain than the pipe and that's saying alot! I highly recommend this carb to anyone looking for more power. Next mod? Sparks cam I guess.... Stay tuned.

Pappy
12-22-2002, 12:40 PM
good review

Maryland 400EX
12-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Thanks Pappy! I'm still thinking about that POR 15!

MR. HONDA EX'S
12-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Yep, my motot is 3yrs old and my fcr woke my baby up!! My motor is all stock inside. And I just have a slip-on and a filter. They work I can tell you. What did sparks set you carb with, jets and etc. Please help me out if you know.

Maryland 400EX
12-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Mr:Honda, I wish I knew what size jets he used. Sparks representative asked me over the phone what mods did I have to the quad, I told him just the pipe and that was it. The carb came dialed in and ready to go. Sorry I couldn't help.

Dave400ex
12-22-2002, 03:19 PM
That was a great review. Sounds like it really helped out a lot. I think I am going to do a Piston and Cam first, then if I still need more Power add the Carb. I want to hear about how it does if you add a Piston and Cam. The Carb came all dialed in huh? That's great. I'm not sure on how to jet yet. Will you have to change jetting for the weather conditions? Also is your Clutch still all stock from 99 when you bought it? I just want to know how the Clutch will hold up when you get some more mods.....

ridinthedunes
12-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Great review. Thanks for the info.
R/T

beerock
12-22-2002, 03:41 PM
maryland, great review!

but please, make sure to check your plug...

Don't think "its dialed in" and never check.

01_400exrider
12-22-2002, 03:44 PM
If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay ready to go? I have been looking for a carb next i heard they really make your bike come alive. Nice review really makes me want one now. To all you high performance guys out there, should i get a 39 or go bigger with my mods? I thought 39 would be big enough. Thanx for the help guys!

bmw500hp
12-22-2002, 03:48 PM
Hey maryland....often wondered this too... Your familiar with it ran before the pipe...and now you know how it runs with both....

Yank it off and throw on the old pipe....Just for a test...We can put the age old argument of intake vs exhaust vs the combination to rest....

Interesting test...

Sparks425Ex
12-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Good Review. I was also suprised how much power the Carba nd Pipe gave me. I was pulling 4th gear wheelies without the clutch. I was thinking it was a little much so I geared up. 15/36

I say go pick up an Advanced Ignition Key to. That helped mine alot too.

Maryland 400EX
12-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the props guys. I'm glad my success with the mods are having a positive influence on you speed junkies. I will keep everyone abreast of my mods and the results as they occur. I'm saving the engine work (Cylinder head mods) for last because I just don't want to have any downtime right now. A piston kit is definitely on the list but I wanna kill two birds with one stone (Headwork) so I'm waiting for the call from Sparks. Normally I would go all out for the power and get the 465 kit but I'm doing lots of exploring/trail riding and I don't feel that mondo power is necessary. When I do I'll probably opt for the 416cc 12:5 to 1 and be happy with basically a fresh bore and a few more ponies. Warriorman: From my dealing with 41MM Flat slides on a Yamaha R1 I had, yes it is beneficial to rejet when the temps make a drastic change but it's not hard. The jetting change isn't vital but it'll ensure that you're getting the proper air/ fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber. Yes, my clutch plates have been changed once since 1999 according to the guy that had this quad before me. When I get the piston kit and cams I'll probably do the Sparks 8 plate setup. Ridinthedunes: Thanks, anytime. Beerock: You're right about inspecting the plug because I could be running a little lean or rich and not know it. It seems right but I'll check and install a new plug while I'm at it. 01_400exrider: I paid $465 to my door from Sparks in California. Bmw500HP: I would throw the pipe back on but for two reasons I can't. 1)I wouldn't wan't to have to purchase another set of exhaust o-rings and 2) I threw the old exhaust away. I have enough junk laying around...

Maryland 400EX
12-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Nacs425EX: You must have been reading my mind... When I ordered the 39 FCR I thought for sure that I told the guy at Sparks to sell me the Advanced Igniton Key also but when the box got here there was no Ignition Key. I was like WTF? But then I thought "I'll have a high compression piston soon so there's no need" but I think I'll try the Ignition Key for now. I'll place the order tomorrow. 6 degrees of ignition advance should do wonders for this low strung motor.

400exBro
12-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Maryland 400ex- we need more people like you, first you give me a good impersion on the sparks x-6 pipe which i am going to order soon, then on the FCR 39 mm carb which 3rd on the list of my mods that i am going to do, this just top it off, now it is a go, i am ordering the carb right after i get my front end setup as well as my rear....

thanks

Bro

stupid driver
12-22-2002, 05:56 PM
hey, Mr Honda EX.

The jetting comes like this when you have a sparks pipe

Main : 165
Pilot jet : 50 or 52
pilot screw is all the way turned in. The pilot screw is the main adjustment you will have to make when tuning this carb for a pipe/filter. sparks does a he11 of a job of guessin the jet size for your motor mods.

Dave400ex
12-22-2002, 06:49 PM
Thanks a lot. I think this Thread should be added as a Review. Just have Maryland send in some pictures. I really have to learn how to jet. Everybody says it's not hard, but I've never tried it or done it. I'll just have to wait and see how I like the Piston and Cam. I am also interested in how the Clutch kit works. If it works as good as everybody says it does, it wouldn't be a bad mod for only the $140 or whatever it is. May have to talk to TC and see if he has a setup the same. Thanks Maryland....

bmw500hp
12-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Agree With Warrior...

Abused 1999 400ex.... Return To Glory!

Maryland is very descript and does a good overall job with copy. The Sparks kit is also a big consideration for anyone interested in a 1st class 416 Build...

Maryland and his 416 build would be a good choice for a Modifications review....

Maryland 400EX
12-22-2002, 07:49 PM
Thanks BMW500hp, 400EXbro... You too Warriorman. If I have some free time in the next couple of days I will post pics explaining how to rejet a 400 EX Carburetor. I will show how to adjust the airscrew for the low rpm power, how to adjust the needle for midrange power and the main jet for top end power. Also an explanation of how the pilot jet affects the idle circuit. I'm so used to fuel injection (Motorcycles) where all the jetting is done via fuel maps on a computer that it's been a while since I've smelled gas...

Dave400ex
12-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey that will help me out a lot Maryland. Thanks.....

99 416EX
12-22-2002, 08:55 PM
The guy who purchased my old 416EX, which consist of JE 10:8-1 piston and XR 400 camshaft, is doing a rebuild with a Sparks kit piston, camshaft, harden rockers,valve springs,FCR39 carb, and X6 pipe.(Such a small box of parts for 2G'S plus cores.)We started to rebuild, and the wrist pin didn't fit ( to long ) I couldn't believe it didn't come with a new pin!! Even though Sparks uses a JE piston. The way he cuts the piston you have use a OEM wrist pin. So we have the wrist pin and plan on assembling it tommorrow. I'm glad to hear the carb. is dialed in pretty close. Since I have to do the rebuild and tuning, all he wants to do is drag race and fund the project...hehe Sparks is predicting 45-47 HP

BTW: One year wait for head work, they must stay real busy

Thanx for the great review!!!

Maryland 400EX
12-22-2002, 10:13 PM
Yea 99 416EX, the one year wait is due to the fact that Curtis does all the heads himself. 45 Horses sounds real nice.

Evan
12-22-2002, 11:02 PM
hmm I ordered a piston from sparks and it came with a wrist pin....

Maryland-Great review, I had/have nearly all the same parts as you with a few exceptions, while I didnt give a nearly as descript review as you did, when I posted my results, most people didnt belive me, I dunno why, Im glad they belive you. Have a few suggestions for you, I wouldnt use the advance key, nor would I use the rev box, to me they are worthless, and the rev box can cause an overev and boom. I highly reccomend the sparks 8 plate kit especially when you buy that sparks cam (which btw I have a mint one if you want it), and the sparks valve springs and cam chain. BTW with this setup, you can pull wheelies with a 16tooth sprocket as easy as you can with a stocker with a 14 tooth sprocket. Dang Im already missing my EX

Maryland 400EX
12-23-2002, 11:12 AM
X-Rider: I'm very interested in your cam, valve springs and cam chain. Between Santa Claus and the Wife, somebody stole my wallet so I'm trying to recover. I'll get the parts from you after X-Mas if you still have 'em.

Dave400ex
12-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Hey guys I have been emailing Scott from Sparks and he said he would check the site out.

Maryland 400EX
12-23-2002, 01:23 PM
Yea, he seems pretty cool. I've shared a few emails with him recently myself.

Evan
12-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Maryland, I dont have the cam chain forsale cuz i didnt have the tools to take it off when I was parting my motor out, but I do still have the cam, and springs.

Warriorman, I assume he joined since our newest memeber is sparksracing.

400exBro
12-23-2002, 01:45 PM
yup someone from sparks join, i believe his name is Scott

12-23-2002, 02:39 PM
I"m havin a hard time believing this review maryland...your gonna need ta send me that carb so I can test it out for myself..:D

great review...:cool:

Maryland 400EX
12-23-2002, 02:48 PM
Ha Ha Rico! I'll have Scott from Sparks let you use his... All he wants is $450 and you don't even have to return it!

Maryland 400EX
12-23-2002, 02:59 PM
Man, it's gonna be good to have you aboard Scott. There are many unanswered questions concerning performance parts that you guys offer. As we all know, you have a 12 month wait for cylinder head mods so it's kinda tough to get big power from these motors without going elsewhere. After your pipe and carb install, what would you say should be the next step in terms of gaining power and what kind of power should be expected from those items? Inquiring minds want to know.

bighig
12-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Where is the air/fuel screw for the 39mm FCR?

Evan
12-23-2002, 10:01 PM
its on the bottom