View Full Version : Malicious programs embedded in exrider forums...

kiesta00
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Guys....am I the only one that gets attacked by a malicious program on this forum? Almost every time I log onto this specific site I get a notification from my antivirus that a suspicious program is attempting to change my browser settings...the files get downloaded into a temp folder and then wreak havoc from there.

It may not be a virus per say...but it continuously makes random ad popups appear back to back...very annoying. It also makes numerous registry changes that can severely impede the performance of the computer...moderators any word on this?

Thanks,
Keith

05LSR250R
02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
What anti-virus are you runnin' with?

Pappy
02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
First i've heard of it.

I use Norton, I am probably on here more then most and have zero issues. I will report the issue for you though!

Ralph
02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
You can never completly rule anything out but it may be something you already have. Do you get this only in the forums?

It could just be overreacting to some cookies or something. I use AVG Antivirus and have never experienced anything similar on any of the many computers i use to access the site.

I'll pass this on to the head honcho but i would appreciate it if you could provide some screen caps or more detailed information.

05LSR250R
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I used to run Norton and I can honestly tell you that it sucks. That gave me nothin' but problems! I switched to Mcafee and am very happy with it. Just my 2 cents.

kiesta00
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I use trend micro for my anti virus...I'll see what I can do to capture the event in a screenshot. Maybe it's something that I got from another website and this forum sets it off...idk but its really annoying.

Trend micro tells you about any program that is trying to make critical system changes and asks you if you want to permit the change or block and remove the program trying to make changes...its great.

05LSR250R
02-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I've also tried Trend microsoft. Try the Mcafee, it'll blow you away!

pdxbigfoot
02-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I got a HUGE malicious virus last month from downloading a "new" version of Trend that was a mirror image of their site but was a total hoax.
Be carefull as it looked REALLY good and i had no idea till it was too late.

2-330s
02-04-2009, 03:38 AM
i use kaspersky and have also been blocked out of this site. it's only when i try to open the site off of the google search page and only now and then?

jcs003
02-04-2009, 05:23 AM
as of yesterday i had a guy work on my computer for 6 hours. i had some bad issues with my system. i dont know where it came from but, glad it is gone for the most part.

05LSR250R
02-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
I got a HUGE malicious virus last month from downloading a "new" version of Trend that was a mirror image of their site but was a total hoax.
Be carefull as it looked REALLY good and i had no idea till it was too late. The same thing almost happened to me! A screen popped up saying I was infected. Then it said to download the latest version of some new software. It looked totally legit but I knew I had strong measures in place, so I shut internet down and ran a full sweep. NOTHING!! It looked totallt legit!! Right down to the logos and the andeverything. I know if I had taken action I would've been infected!

C-LEIGH RACING
02-04-2009, 07:11 AM
May as well face it, either theres a bunch of people hate computers so bad & just sit around all day & night hacking or either the computer makers are PAYING them to do it.

If law enforcement want to catch the theifs in their town, they hire one, because they would think alike & know what the theif was going to do.
It take real smart people to design computer programs, so wouldnt it make sence to have some of those same people try to destory them so you would have to buy another one.

Follow your nose folks, if you smell something rotten & follow it, you will find it shortly.
Neil

Admin
02-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I am sure the virus didn't come from ATVriders.com, but I do know that you need to beware of any program that pops up and offer virus protection.

One of my employees download a virus protection program and it wiped out her registry this past week, but I forgot the name of it.

Also, if you are running Windows XP, you need to disable service Messages from the Control panel because it is will send you these pop up messages, and I do it to all my computers.

05LSR250R
02-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah, the problem I was talkin' about earlier happened this week also. Never had a problem on Atvriders site except if I am posting a lengthy post it logs me out! Frustrating to say the least after you type a couple paragraphs!

jcs003
02-04-2009, 09:39 AM
i dont think it is from ATVriders.com. it seems i have had the problems when i was going from ebay and to this site or have two windows open and one is ebay.

just a thought.

86 Quad R
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
i dont think it is from ATVriders.com. it seems i have had the problems when i was going from ebay and to this site or have two windows open and one is ebay.

just a thought.

unless there is a particular setting within your machine what you say just cant be. i often run as many as 4-5 sessions of internet explorer at the same time. i havent any issues what so ever.

jcs003
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
unless there is a particular setting within your machine what you say just cant be. i often run as many as 4-5 sessions of internet explorer at the same time. i havent any issues what so ever.

you could be correct. the person who fixed my computer said it could be a setting that an virus took advantage of.

86 Quad R
02-04-2009, 01:01 PM
you guys should take a look at This site. (http://www.avast.com/) i've used it for years and have had no issues what so ever.

kiesta00
02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I never, ever, ever click any popups that appear on my screen...if I can't right click and close them on the task bar, then I'll alt/ctrl/del the whole session of internet explorer.

brandonpeake
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
open internet explorer in no addon mode and try it then. or try firefox or another browser it sounds like a virus/trojan grey ware etc is attacking your browser
what browser do u run?

kiesta00
02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
internet explorer 7.0

kiesta00
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Alright, I just had two more incidents with these forums. Both seem to have started when I opened the "polishing on a wheel" thread in the ATV How-To Section. I get some Virus Doctor ad with numerous other popups.

It happened to me yesterday and today. Wonder if anyone else can see whats happening if they look there too?

gojk
03-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
May as well face it, either theres a bunch of people hate computers so bad & just sit around all day & night hacking or either the computer makers are PAYING them to do it.

If law enforcement want to catch the theifs in their town, they hire one, because they would think alike & know what the theif was going to do.
It take real smart people to design computer programs, so wouldnt it make sence to have some of those same people try to destory them so you would have to buy another one.

Follow your nose folks, if you smell something rotten & follow it, you will find it shortly.
Neil

While I do agree with you that the anti-virus people pay people to write some of the virus'. I don't agree that it takes smart people to write computer programs. With the high level programming languages, it is quite easy to write a program, and most virus' that are found on the internet are very poorly written. Most of the damage that they do isn't because they are designed to do the damage, it is fallout from the sloppyness of code.