PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a decision!! *Used Quads*

mephyst
02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I am in the market right now to buy a new quad and figured I would go used this time since there are so many good deals out there because of the economy. I already have an 04' 450r with basic mods and am completely happy with the way it runs. My dad is getting back into the sport and wants to buy another 450 to replace our 400ex.

We have looked at a few decent 06's around the $4000 range and I just think there is a better deal out there. Last night, an 04' 450r that was used as a show bike and supposeably has less than 40 hours on the motor popped up in the ads. I'm sure the guy would take $4000 cash for it and it has one trip to Glamis on an all new suspension. It comes with Fox Float Evol DSC shocks, JD long travel a arms, a revalved/resprung rear shock. So that alone, is well over $2,000. It has several quadtech parts, asv levers, curtis sparks big core pipe, several sets of tires and so on. The guy builds race bikes and this was one that he build for a sand show.

If it is really that clean and not abused (pretty easy to tell) I think I should go for this. I would much rather have an older quad that still runs perfect with top of the line suspension than spending more money for a stock bike that is 2 years newer.

What would you do? I know it's an 04' but we have never had any major problems with ours and probably have 200 hours on the damn thing!!

I'm meeting up with the guy in 2 and a half hours.. so far he seems really cool on the phone and actually knows what he is talking about. The thing was never raced either- it has all the goodies except nerf bars and a kill switch. :D

d3ktrix
02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Id go for that 04 100%
Sounds like a steal.

jkiserracing
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
so would i

mephyst
02-04-2009, 01:28 AM
I decided to go with the 04'. Funny story, I went to go see it and it happens to be a guy from one of my classes last semester. I went home after looking at it to think about it some more. I am picking it up tomorrow. I can tell it runs well and it sounds really healthy, maybe even better than my 04'. Everything mechanically should work perfect. Cosmetically, it looks like an 04'. Sort of faded plastics and just looks a little bit worn from general use, but not beat up by any means. After I pick it up tomorrow and take a day to detail the thing I will take some pics and post up my new ride! :devil: I'm excited!!

brian76708
02-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by mephyst
I decided to go with the 04'. Funny story, I went to go see it and it happens to be a guy from one of my classes last semester. I went home after looking at it to think about it some more. I am picking it up tomorrow. I can tell it runs well and it sounds really healthy, maybe even better than my 04'. Everything mechanically should work perfect. Cosmetically, it looks like an 04'. Sort of faded plastics and just looks a little bit worn from general use, but not beat up by any means. After I pick it up tomorrow and take a day to detail the thing I will take some pics and post up my new ride! :devil: I'm excited!!

post up some pics when you get it.

S.A.J
02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
sounds great,looks like you got yerself a purtty good deal!!!

loons
02-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I know th 4ebike you are talking about and the guy who owns it was the motor builder for PDR. Him and Diesel are great guys and that quad has very low hours. I'm glad he got it sold and I'm glad it's going to a good home.

loons
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
If it's the same one, this is a pic of it.

300racer
02-04-2009, 12:51 PM
if that the quad you got a good deal just need to take that grab bar off lol

d3ktrix
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
if that the quad you got a good deal just need to take that grab bar off lol

lol for sure.
and sell me that seat :P

mephyst
02-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Thats the one! :) I was so excited to get this bike and finally have long travel suspension!! It was in decent shape- not the best, but once I went through the whole bike it started to really come to life. I replaced missing bolts and fixed a lot of stupid misc. things, cleaned the plastics up and changed the oil and filter. One thing I noticed after I bought it is that it has a bent frame... this really dissapointed me and it still is bugging me. It has a nice tweak behind the lower a-arm where that plate is in between the frame. I read on here that its a common place these frames bend and would like any advice on how to fix it...

We took it to Glamis this weekend and the quad ran great. Everything mechanical seems to be working fine. I need to change the jetting because it only has a 178 main in it right now because the previous owner said that's all it needed but our other 450 has a 180 or 185. (I have to check)

I ordered some nerf bars last week and got them before the trip, but they were total junk. They were the Rock series from motosport. What a POS!!!! That's all I have to say...

I'll take some pics once I get my nerfs on and clean her all up again! I'm probably going back out this next weekend!! :)

d3ktrix
02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
I ordered some nerf bars last week and got them before the trip, but they were total junk. They were the Rock series from motosport. What a POS!!!! That's all I have to say...

Haha I totally agree, the Rock nerds are trash. Me and my friend bolted up a set to his quad, they looked so cheap/flimsy that we ripped them right back off.
Made of tin foil.

mephyst
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Yea... Rock/Tusk/Alba are all the same... what junk. I mounted them up and took them right back off also. I am disappointed in motosport for telling me they are good quality and as good as ac/dg. They just want to sell their house brand product... but now they are already on the way back to them!!