PDA

View Full Version : head stud wont back out

Noff23
02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
i recently bought a 310 kit for my 89 250r and had to buy longer head studs to fit. i got 3 of the 4 out but the 4th wont come out. what tricks or advise do you guys have? thanks

05LSR250R
02-03-2009, 06:09 AM
What tool are you using to remove it? What have you tried so far?

05LSR250R
02-03-2009, 06:09 AM
What tool are you using to remove it? What have you tried so far?

Fear250r
02-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Put one nut down at least halfway. Then put another nut down to lock it to the other. Then just use the bottom nut to turn the stud out. You might end up ruining the nuts, but you'll have the stud out. You could also throw some PB in there also.

05LSR250R
02-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Go purchase a stud extracting tool and use it. If it gives you are hard time heat the area AROUND THE STUD NOT THE STUD! Might have to do this a few times spraying P.B. blaster on it to cool it between heat cycles.

86 Quad R
02-03-2009, 06:28 AM
05's suggestion is a good one and works well in most cases but there are times when someone previously used locktite and heat may need to be added to the stud itself. this will help the locktite to break free.

Honda 250r 001
02-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Fear250r
Put one nut down at least halfway. Then put another nut down to lock it to the other. Then just use the bottom nut to turn the stud out. You might end up ruining the nuts, but you'll have the stud out. You could also throw some PB in there also.

ya put two nuts on it and try that. NOT that is not a good idea. if your going to get new studs anyway just get a good set of vice-grips and clamp those on there. That will be your best bet along with some heat and pb blaster.

Noff23
02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
i have put the nuts back to back and heated the area around and the stud and the thing wont even budge. i think i might have to take it to the local shop

Honda 250r 001
02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Noff23
i have put the nuts back to back and heated the area around and the stud and the thing wont even budge. i think i might have to take it to the local shop

its not that hard man. just get some vice grips and and tigteh em up good and clamp em down and twist. it will come out if you do that i guarentee.

All250R
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
ya put two nuts on it and try that. NOT that is not a good idea. if your going to get new studs anyway just get a good set of vice-grips and clamp those on there. That will be your best bet along with some heat and pb blaster.
What makes you say it's not a good idea?

You can buy a set of stud pullers which allow you to put a socket style breaker bar to torque on which would probably solve your problem. They sometimes could use the threads chased with a die afterward though, but it will make a problem like yours go away and you can probably save the stud after some cleaning of threads. I would recommend penetrating fluid to reduce the odds the aluminum threads come out with the stud.

derby
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I had the same problem, had to put a welding lead onto the stud and let the current flow through it, that way it got pretty hot, it then backed out with the two nuts tightened together method.

machwon
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Heat the cylinder area around the stud with a propane torch for 5 minutes. Quickly, I then use vise grips clamped down as hard as you can (have it already sized to grip it hard). Lay the cylinder on its side and clamp on so you push down quickly on the vise grips to pop it loose.

If that don't work, or if the stud is broke flush at the cylinder deck, I then resort to the 1/4" carbide end mill and the mill.

Noff23
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
thanks for all the help guys. i tried all the ideas and it wouldnt come out until i got the head extracting tool.

05LSR250R
02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
The right to for the job! I,ve used for years on everything from a lawnmower to a Mack truck. Money well spent.

j2c#5
02-09-2009, 06:03 PM
i had the same prob w mine as well and u cannot torque it out no matter what tool u use. put 2 nuts on the stud one upside down then heat up the case cover w a torch til its super hot then take a birthday candle touch it to stud so the wax runs down into the hole then grip the nuts an twist away. will take two people to do and i kno its sounds crazy but it works!! i tried everything els also and that was the only thing that would even budge it.