PDA

View Full Version : Best gear ratios.

Stoke88
02-02-2009, 05:52 PM
I need a new rear sprocket but I was wondering what would be the best size? I'm running a 14 tooth in the front now and I'll be running 20in razr 2's for tires in the rear. What would be a good size sprocket to run in the rear? I do all trail riding and occasional field drag.

midwest honda
02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
If you want more torque go bigger rear sprocket if you want more top speed go smaller in the rear. It all boils down to if you want more top speed for the straights or more torque for trails. Keep in mind that you can only go so far in the way towards gaining top speed. If your motor doesnt have the power to pull the gear then still going up in gearing can equal less top speed rather than more because your motor can pull the huge load thats put on it.

02-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I have always wanted to see if I could gear a 400ex with easy mods to go 90MPH or so. JUst take it down the road behind my house straight as an arrow with no houses and a its a dead end for 1.15 miles and there is a turn that you could start before and take the turn atleast 2nd gear then 1.15miles of straight road of course braking room needs to be added in but with that far to do I and really high gearing I think its possible.

turboed
02-02-2009, 08:37 PM
keep us posted,i always wondered the same

Mike594
02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
So if I have a stock front sprocket, and go down a tooth on the rear, that would produce a little more top speed? Hmm...

odog
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
yea i always wondered the samething also so i just ordered a trail tech computer so i would know how fast im running and my engine temp and i switched to a 16/36 sprocket set. but i also have a 460 kit it will be out the shop by next weekend

hypersnyper6947
02-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Right now i have 14/36 with 18" rear tires, i feel like this is a little high of a gear ratio for the tight trails i ride. I am constantly shifting between 2nd and 3rd. I am going to drop my front sprocket to a 13 and that should do the trick. This way i can just be in 3rd most the time.

MtnEX
02-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Mine had 14/38 on it when I got it, and from day to day I have had mixed feelings about it.

It could be I have weak power output, or it could be the Yoshi system, etc... but it seems to me that sometimes I'm shifting TOO MUCH.

To me, at hard take off challenges it's not too bad, so I doubted going up to 15... I'd rather have 13 there.... but in the runnings, sometimes it seems like I wind through a gear too quick, and once I get into the next, if I have to slow much I feel the lack of balls.

I'm running 20" Holeshot HD's....

I couldn't really decide which way to go, so maybe you can take your opinions against mine and come to some sort of conclusion.

Mike594
02-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I have 14/38 gearing now, because thats how I bought it from this guy. He went down one tooth on the front. All I know is it does definately add a little more torque/power to take offs, and on all shifts. I drag raced the other day, and everytime I shifted, the front end came off the ground... But I personally would like more speed, so I think im gonna go back to 15 tooth in the front, and go down a tooth in the rear. After I get my full exhaust and custom air box and air filter, sparks advance key, etc... I might go down 2 teeth in the rear.

hypersnyper6947
02-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds like you need taller gears, in other words gears that last longer so you could drop a few teeth in the rear or add one to the front.

dariusld
02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
I'd rather have the 16 in front so I could have a smaller rear sprocket for clearance.