PDA

View Full Version : Trout and Walleye...tips?

Pappy
02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
The boys wanna go after trout. Ive never done much with a fly rod. Suggestions..tips ?

Would also love to see the tricks yall use to hook into some Walleyes.

Quad18star
02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
What kind of trout are you going after?

I usually fish for small brook trout in small streams ... and because the areas are often pretty narrow I don't use a fly rod ... but rather a small ice fishing rod ( 3 footer). For small brookies ( less than a pound) I use very tiny hooks with either small grubs or small flies. Very sensitive feel for the rod and for the hits will land you them ... can't set the hook hard on the little ones since their mouths are sensitve and rip easily.

As for walleye ..... I try and find rocky bottoms and drop offs or shoals . I drift back and forth over the areas until I find where they are sitting ... then either drop anchor or keep difting over the area. I use a light/medium action rod with usually 6 pound test line and a jig tied on with either a twister tail or a leeche.

The color of the jig will depend on the water you're fishing and that can only been found by trial and error .. or asking locals that fish the area. Sometimes tieing on a small gold or silve spinner a few inches up will help attract the fish. I fish for walleye without a steel leader because it gives me more feel for when a walleye is on .

When still fishing or drifting , I bounce the lure off the bottom , raising it about 2 feet from bottom then lowering back to bottom .

If you decide to troll , I recommend either a jig or lure such as a rapella and troll as slow as possible. Walleye are not an active fish and won't go out of their way unless very hungry . Early morning and late nights look for areas that have a lot of oxygen in the water , such as stream flows comming in or rapids/falls . This attracts baitfish and bugs ... which in turn mean walleye and other fish. A lot of people say the best walleye fishing is early morning or just after sunset since walleye have very sensitive eyes .... but I've caught them in the middle of the afternoon , bright sun and hot weather in 4 feet of water.

Once you find one , keep at the area ... there WILL be more.

Hope this helps.

dukee66
02-09-2009, 09:30 PM
jig off bottom for walleyes and u an bobber fish for em