PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Problem - Randomly Locks Up

Rdodds033
02-02-2009, 03:36 PM
i was out riding about a month ago on my 08 DS450 and my rear brake starts building up pressure until my motor almost stalls. i park it and touch the disk and it melts a hole in my glove. i pried apart the pads with a key and after that it was a little better. it happed about a week ago and then it happened today again. i tried bleeding my brakes but that didnt help. i think it might have something to do with the weather. 35F in the day and -10 at night. i try to leave my ds in the garage but somethimes i cant so it sits outside.

any ideas. its kinda urgent because i have to drive it to school in the mornings.

thanks in advance

TNT
02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Check the caliber piston for rust, scratches, leaks, check o-ring inside caliber holes. its probably sticking open and wont retract. Retract it to install pads after bleeding firmly depress pedal a few times to bring pad in contact w/the disc, check rear reservoir level and piston operation before driving. Check the rear master cylinder for proper operation, theres a retraction spring inside under the boot and two orings. Check the peddle for binding, theres a screw, washer, shim. Check the rotor for straightness....Dot 4 fluid, temp range is good.

Hope you find the prob....

Mr. Big Time
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
take the cap off the resovoir, and poke a little hole in the rubber.

Rdodds033
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Big Time
take the cap off the resovoir, and poke a little hole in the rubber.

i already did that but thanks anyway

Mr. Big Time
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
that is weird, i've never heard of that happening before. I wonder why its doig that. Sorry I wasnt of any help

Rdodds033
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
do you think water or something could have gotten in the brake fluid and caused pressure to build up?

nvrpmx
02-03-2009, 07:05 PM
If it gets over filled it can cause it also.

bwkcobra03
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I am having the oppisit problem. My rear brake stops working intermittantly.

railroader77
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
same here my rear break is all but gone just one day it went all the way down with hardly any ride time.

mebcop
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
put a slit in the diaphram. for the guys with the rears that dont work.(no pedal). happened to both of mine within a week of eachother.