PDA

View Full Version : Radial or not

midwest honda
02-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Im wanting to know the pros and cons of a radial tire over a non radial tire. I am thinking about getting kenda klaw tires because i have heard good things about them and they are inexpensive. Anyone got good suggestions?

BuB400
02-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I replaced my stockers with razrs. Just as good as the stock tires except in snow.

buck440
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BuB400
I replaced my stockers with razrs. Just as good as the stock tires except in snow. just as good as? razrs are way better than stock tires unless its a ktm cause there stock tires are good :D

BuB400
02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I was real happy with my stock rear tires. Fronts I didn't care for.

02-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Stock rears are alright they have too much sidebite for my taste when I want to whip it around they want to grip and sometimes tip. They dont have the best traction forward though. I like a tougher sidewall so you can run lower PSI and still ride fine and slide better. I know how Razrs perform but I want to see if there is a better tire to be further ahead of the competition. I wont go ITP because they seem to wear down way too fast.

rcatvrider
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by buck440
just as good as? razrs are way better than stock tires unless its a ktm cause there stock tires are good :D
Ride some razr rears in the snow and then make a useful post.

rcatvrider
02-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by BuB400
I was real happy with my stock rear tires. Fronts I didn't care for.
I completely agree. I like the stock rears with the exception of them being 2-ply. The fronts on the other hand, are a handful in the snow, they push horribly. When my stock rears had more meat on them I could accelerate harder in snow than the other quads with razrs, but when a corner came forget it, I would have to let way off.

buck440
02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
Ride some razr rears in the snow and then make a useful post. welp just for you i did ride some "razr rears" in the snow and they got the traction they needed and i thought they did well, anything else?

dalejiw25
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm runnin Razrs all round.In the snow.... No probs. Tires may not be the prob. To much micro processing and not enough balls - out Ridin. IMO

02-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I dont remember what its like to ride a quad in the snow its been years but I am in the sand and I guess its similar.

BuB400
02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by buck440
welp just for you i did ride some "razr rears" in the snow and they got the traction they needed and i thought they did well, anything else?

Razrs don't compare to Ohtsu's for traction in snow, especially hardpack.

midwest honda
02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
If you guys want something that will really bite in the snow try some straight paddles. With my holeshot XCTs i could ride pretty fast but with paddles i could darn near pop a wheelie on command. And just on saturday i rode with someone with razrs on his z400. It took him 5 min and like 10 runs to get up a snowy hill and i gunned it in first and was up it the first time.

rcatvrider
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm still in agreement that stock tires are superior in snow to razrs. Maybe the difference isn't noticeable if you don't actually compare them side by side. I'm not knocking razrs, I'm ordering some when my stock tires wear out, but in snow, at least small amounts and hard packed, they just don't compare to stock tires. Anything over 6" and I would say paddles are your best bet.

02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I think the reason Razrs dont do as well in the snow is because the tread pttern is much closer together and some snow will get packed in bewteen. A guy grooved his Kenda's taking off every other row and it became like paddle tires.

Pipeless416
02-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
I'm still in agreement that stock tires are superior in snow to razrs. Maybe the difference isn't noticeable if you don't actually compare them side by side. I'm not knocking razrs, I'm ordering some when my stock tires wear out, but in snow, at least small amounts and hard packed, they just don't compare to stock tires. Anything over 6" and I would say paddles are your best bet.

i completely agree with you. any tire with an open tread design (ohstu or irazr) will be much better than a tighter tread like holeshots and regular razrs.