PDA

View Full Version : front end impact now no brakes

rcatvrider
02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
I haven't even had time to tear it apart or do much of an inspection but figured I'd post up in case anyone had ideas of what is wrong or if anyone has had somilar experiences.

Well today I jumped down a hill moving pretty good because I was passing someone. Well, my front tires landed perfectly in front of a bump sending my front end hard into the ground. I bent my bumper I hit so hard. When I drove a little further I noticed the front right tire was locked. I backed up and went forward thinking it was a rock stuck and it did free up, but now the lever is very easy to pull and when pulled all the way to the bars they are still too weak to even slow the quad down. The thing is, the sight glass for the fluid is still fill and there is no fluid dripping anywhere so I highly doubt it's an issue with the lines/fluid.

So, with that I was just seeing if anyone knew what I should look for on the calipers or something. I'm hoping I broke a brake pad off or something so it's just not compressing enough to clamp the rotor which would also explain why I can pull the lever to the bars now.

midwest honda
02-01-2009, 09:11 PM
i dont know a darn think about brakes other than the obvious but i have common sense. Common sense says that your probably right about the pads cause you said that when the lever is all the way to the bar the brakes barely have enough pressure to slow down. I dont know if this would do anything at all but maybe watch the fill level of the fluid when u pull the lever in. If it goes down a lot and then comes back up when you let go of the brakes i would say there is too much gap between the calipers and rotor meaning you threw a brake pad. I hope this helps and isnt just a bunch of meaningless nonsense.

Homerx
02-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by midwest honda
i dont know a darn think about brakes other than the obvious but i have common sense. Common sense says that your probably right about the pads cause you said that when the lever is all the way to the bar the brakes barely have enough pressure to slow down. I dont know if this would do anything at all but maybe watch the fill level of the fluid when u pull the lever in. If it goes down a lot and then comes back up when you let go of the brakes i would say there is too much gap between the calipers and rotor meaning you threw a brake pad. I hope this helps and isnt just a bunch of meaningless nonsense.

Pads are held in with two pins, pretty had to throw a pad other than it coming off the backing plate (slim). I would be looking at the master cylinder. Sounds more like the piston is stuck inside the MC. GL

rcatvrider
02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Still haven't inspected it yet, maybe after dinner I will have time. I'm still hoping it's simply a pad but who knows.

rcatvrider
02-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Took it apart and discovered than the rotor and caliper mount were both bent pretty good. I must have jammed a rock or something in there pretty hard because that mount was very hard to bend back.