PDA

View Full Version : axle

e463x
02-01-2009, 04:44 PM
how do i remove my stock axle out of the stock carrier. any kind of help you can give would be great.

alberto
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I just started removing my rear axle yesterday, man what a pain in the bu!!. This is what I have done so far:
Loosened the carrier allen bolts
removed the rear sprocket
began removing the brake disk and axle locknut. This is where I ran into some trouble. I was able to loosen the inner locknut, but the outer one is giving my some trouble. I gave up after a coule of hours. I didnt want to break anything. So I just walked away before getting mad. Good luck this is going to be a handfull.

Homerx
02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350

alberto
02-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Homerx,

I read that THREAD, and it was very informative. Its just that getting the AXLE NUTS off is very difficult. Do you loosen them first; or do you have to remove the stopper ring first? How do I access the stopper ring it looks like its in there pretty deep? I was able to loosen the inner nut, but the outer one is tough. Whatever tricks you have please share:confused:

Homerx
02-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Be sure your are turning counter clockwise. You have to turn the nut first to expose the locking ring. Put some liquid wrench on it for a couple of days. The try heating it before turning it off. GL

alberto
02-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Homerx,

Ok, which one is the first one? The inner nut or the outer? I did just what you mentioned. I got to the point where I was not able to move the outer nut and just gave up before getting mad. I sprayed it down with liquid whench, and will return back to it in a couple of days when time permits.

Homerx
02-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Turn inner nut first towards brake rotor, then outer nut towards brake rotor exposing the locking clip.

alberto
02-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Homerx,

OK, I am on the right track. I just have to be a bit more patient. YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info.

Homerx
02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Did you get the nut off?

alberto
02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
been busy with work:( I will make another attempt this weekend. I will keep you posted and post some pics too.

alberto
02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Homerx

I was able to remove the axle today:)

Homerx
02-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Good work. Just for ****z and giggles I tried mine and it came right of, all thought the lock nut was allready backed off from the guy I bought it from :( I just used some penatrating oil thats a spray on foam and left it for a day. 18" adjustable wrench took it off no problem. Glad u got it worked out.

alberto
02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
It was not easy. I beat the snot out of the inner and outer nuts. I will have to replace them both. No worries only 16 bucks for both. I will be installing my new bearing carrier next week and put it all back together. I am not to sure how to post pics but I have been keeping and taking tons of pics. If I figure out the pics I will post before and after. Once again thank you for your help:)