PDA

View Full Version : DRR/DRX linkage

ww228king
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
DC and some of the other metal working garus

I have a project that I need some answers on...
Why have you guys not came up with a rear linkage system for the minis... it will save the long shocks and have more power to the ground on the holeshots... is there something that is missing that maybe I don't see... I am looking a 2009 stock DRR swingarm to play with...I want to utilize a 400ex linkage system and maybe make an adjustable dogbone to play with the ride heigth... then we can use the 11 or maybe 12" shocks and get the 8 to 10" of travel from the suspension... please fill me in if I am missing something
thanks

JIM GRACE
02-01-2009, 09:47 PM
What i have seen on other drr race quads is they move the
location of the rear shock mount on the stock square tube
to allow the use of a long travel shock. fronts are done the
same way.

hope this helps.

ww228king
02-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by JIM GRACE
What i have seen on other drr race quads is they move the
location of the rear shock mount on the stock square tube
to allow the use of a long travel shock. fronts are done the
same way.

hope this helps.

Very true... thought of doing that also.... easy fix... that is kinda what every body is doing when they are making the after market swingarms... they just make the whole swing arm with the shock mount relocated and make it fancy looking, but we can get the same affect with a stocker with just relocating the shock mount...not talking bad about it...:cool: But they are getting to be generic setups...
But .... why don't we get a more active rear end on these things... with the linkage system, you have the rear tires on the ground more in the whoopies and when landing the table tops, the rear tires will hit the ground and start the forward motion way before the shock starts to compress... (softer landing)..you will have more negitive and positive travel with linkage.... and you don't have to have a 14 to 15" shock to have 10" of travel.... you can use a 12" shock to get it, you might have to use a heavier spring on the shock or bump the compression up.... just think about the bigger quads... more travel.... I have seen a TRX 90 build with a linkage and also seen a guy up here that used a dirt bike rear linkage system on his mini HYBRID.....

I did have someone PM me and say that they are gonna work on it...when you do Mr... work on also making a bracket that will allow you to mount the engine to the swingarm and not the frame brace... we need them dang cross bars out of there out of there... and also work on a swingarm that has a small spacer right where the chain rubs... make it with a stainless steel and ballbearing...

jsut some ideas that I have been workign on, but dont have the material nor time to play with yet...

XXX -rider
02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ww228king
Very true... thought of doing that also.... easy fix... that is kinda what every body is doing when they are making the after market swingarms... they just make the whole swing arm with the shock mount relocated and make it fancy looking, but we can get the same affect with a stocker with just relocating the shock mount...not talking bad about it...:cool: But they are getting to be generic setups...
But .... why don't we get a more active rear end on these things... with the linkage system, you have the rear tires on the ground more in the whoopies and when landing the table tops, the rear tires will hit the ground and start the forward motion way before the shock starts to compress... (softer landing)..you will have more negitive and positive travel with linkage.... and you don't have to have a 14 to 15" shock to have 10" of travel.... you can use a 12" shock to get it, you might have to use a heavier spring on the shock or bump the compression up.... just think about the bigger quads... more travel.... I have seen a TRX 90 build with a linkage and also seen a guy up here that used a dirt bike rear linkage system on his mini HYBRID.....

I did have someone PM me and say that they are gonna work on it...when you do Mr... work on also making a bracket that will allow you to mount the engine to the swingarm and not the frame brace... we need them dang cross bars out of there out of there... and also work on a swingarm that has a small spacer right where the chain rubs... make it with a stainless steel and ballbearing...

jsut some ideas that I have been workign on, but dont have the material nor time to play with yet...

some of these ideas seem good ..
while some seem( not positive ) to make the quad / mods /frame illegal... for some classes ??

dont mean to ruffle feathers here ..
but also you never mentioned what classes or size machine ..& for what racing/ riding type

JIM GRACE
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
drr 50 cc class is the only class that must retain stock arms and
swinger for mx. 50 production , 70 , and 90 allow for the long
travel. both of brandons drr's are long travel now (his 70 has front
std travel) and make the biggest diffrence in the whoops where
you are using all of the travel. not sure on frame mods.

ww228king
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
yes it is for MX,,,, i dont see where it would help in TT and it might help for cross country and yes it would not be for stock class...we have a 90... and the way that I have thought of it....it would be a bolt on and not a weld on mod... thanks for the input...keep them coming

dericsdad
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
One downfall could be the extra weight with all of the linkages, unless you make it all out of aluminum including the swingarm...

To be legal for AMA and ATVA don't you have to retain the stock suspension "pivot points"...

So would changing how the rear shock connects to the swingarm
change this, or do they only mean where the swing arm and a-arms themselves pivot???

Just some thoughts...

I definitly think it would make the rear suspension work better, but a what cost??

ww228king
02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
i was thinking of the linkage and the frame clamp to both be aluminum, and we need some extra weight on the rear to balance them out...lol dual a-arms are extra on the front...hopping the performance would pay for adding the extra weight.... i am not sure about the ruling side of this, that is something that would have to be brought up after some testing.... i would not make a mountain out of an ant hill if it will not perform

before i had mentioned a 400ex linkage, but that will not work because of the shock mounting, but a have found a linkage that fits a warrior 350 that looks to be just right.... now i have an idea for the bolt on frame clamp that will be used to bolt the linkage to the frame.... it will be a two peice deal that will be bolted together with (4) allen bolts... might have to make the clamp jagged so it will bite the frame, kinda like the steering stablizer does to the steering stem..

ww228king
02-06-2009, 08:04 PM
here is the linkage that could prolly be lighten up some...

wayne0169
02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
have you looked at the cr links. i know they used them on the trx250r and the worked good. this link is off a cr125.

ww228king
02-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by wayne0169
have you looked at the cr links. i know they used them on the trx250r and the worked good. this link is off a cr125.

that looks to be too short to reach the frame under the rear of the engine... and the shocks that we use wont mount.... good to know that people like the idea enough to look ...thanks

wayne0169
02-06-2009, 10:38 PM
after looking your right the cr link is to short. the pro link from a 88 0r 89 trx250r would work. the shock mount would have to be moved back a little for the dog bone.now i need to find a swing are for a 08 50 to see if i can make it work.

ww228king
02-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by wayne0169
after looking your right the cr link is to short. the pro link from a 88 0r 89 trx250r would work. the shock mount would have to be moved back a little for the dog bone.now i need to find a swing are for a 08 50 to see if i can make it work.
It would have to be a linkage that you can bolt through to hold our type shocks.... that kind would have to have the bottom part of the shock modified.... this may or may not work, but it might be worth a try... another linkage that would bolt right up to out shock is a banshee linkage