PDA

View Full Version : machine variator??

number12
02-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Hey Guys, I had a guy tell me that you could machine the face of the variator where the belt runs. I will see if I can describe it. Where the belt sits, when the variator is open, there is a vertical surface and then it changes to the angle for belt travel. He suggested making that angle run all the way from the max o.d. of the variator down to the hub, removing the vertical surface. My question is, have any of you tried this? What kind of results should I expect?

Thanks

neveready
02-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Well you can machine the variator, and I will give you some don'ts but not our secrets;)

If you machine the variator faces think of this..... You have to start at the OD and machine all the way in to completely remove the flat surface. When you remove that much material from the face you variator will be much wider at the fully closed position and won't get the belt up to the top. So you gained nothing for your time.

You are getting close, but one hint is to not let your variator mechanically limit your belt or roller travel. Think of the belt width vs. the width at the top of the variator when fully closed.

I am sure there are many opinions on this, but , I can tell you that with no machining just the proper spacing and setup I can get a belt OUT of the top in one of the stock variators.

number12
02-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey there Neveready. Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I am following you on that and maybe I don't need to do anything. I am getting full belt travel. It could not get any higher without coming off. Is that why my friend would be suggesting this? I was thinking that it might have something to do with the shift or something.

Logan #34's Dad
02-01-2009, 02:53 PM
number 12, that flat spot at the inner most part of the variator is not hurting anything. Your belt is being squeezed above the flat spot. If you remove the flat spot your two plates will b too far apart at the top when the two halves come together. If your getting full pull then leave it alone.

Reimer Racing
02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Mark the variator with a marker to see how far to the top the belt is going. Always remark the variator when you make a change to see if it helped or hurt the top end.

number12
02-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks Guys. I am getting full travel and will not mess with this.