PDA

View Full Version : Fishing bolts out of a closed crankcase

rappin_ernie
01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey everyone.
I recently replaced the started clutch in my 01' raptor 660. When I took off the flywheel, I realized that the six bolts that hold the starter clutch to the flywheel had all sheered off. All the heads must have gone into the main cases throught a little opening at the bottom, or they fell out with all the oil when I took the cover off. At any rate, I easy-outed the bolts in the flywheel and put everything back together. Then I remember I forgot to try to get those bolts out of the case.
I really want to get those peices out if they are in there so I don't destroy the engine, but it would be a pain in the *** to split the cases or even take off the top end to fish through the crank. I already tried to drag the bolt to the drain hole with a magnet, but my magnet sucks. I also put a thin long magnet in the oil drain hole to try to get them but got nothing. I also flushed the system with kerosene.
Does anyone have any idea's or tricks to get these bolts out without taking the engine apart?

Thank you very much!

Mike

John451
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah either theyr not in there or you should get one of those magnetic oil plugs from ebay or rockymountainatv.com

rappin_ernie
02-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey, thanks for the idea, I think I'll get one of those. I decided to risk it and ride it around. It's been running great and isn't making any noises, so I think they came out. Thanks again!

Mike