PDA

View Full Version : anyone please...300ex spark arrester.....need to know

11-14-2001, 06:08 PM
Question is simply this: will taking out the spark arrester on my stock muffler effect my quad in a negative way? A buddy told me if i run it like this it will damage the pistons....anyone know if this is true or will running no spark arrester have any other negative effects? Thanks

Poncho
11-14-2001, 06:23 PM
I'm not real sure but if I was you I would save my money and get an aftermarket pipe instead of tearing up your stock exhaust. I'm not sure if you are wanting more power or better sound out of this.But it's your bike.:) :huh

bsr
11-14-2001, 06:33 PM
It may damage the rings, only other nagative effect maybe backfiring and sparks flying out of the pipe...

400exRacerX
11-14-2001, 07:08 PM
How would it damage the rings? The only thing a spark arrestor does is block the air flow and prevent sparks from coming out. By removing it, this makes it a free flowing exhuast. A free flowing exhuast will not damage the rings nor the piston, the only effect it will have on the motor is, you will just have to adjust your valves more often, especially the exhuast valves due to the less back pressure.

bsr
11-14-2001, 07:15 PM
Well on my old cr125 i took it off and someone told me that it would mess up the ring or piston, so i was just guessing it would have the same side effect on a 4 stroke. When i took my spark arrestor off it was alittle weird cause it would blow sparks out and people can see your exaust glowing at night :)

9300EX
11-14-2001, 07:18 PM
It is possible that by removing the arrestor you could
in theory lean out your mixture enough to damage
your piston(burn it up). Simply check your plug after
you do it,if it's lean rejet!!!!!!!!!!!!

400exRacerX
11-14-2001, 08:40 PM
Thats what I meen if the bike is properly running after the spark arrestor is removed, you won't damage the rings.

3hondas
11-14-2001, 08:58 PM
I did this on my previously owned 300ex and you actually lose performance. By removing the spark arrestor/baffle, you take away the back pressure. Not to mention that you have to tear up the silencer by removing the 2 spot welds to get it out.

I did this then had no choice to buy an aftermarket slip on because of the unfavorable results it created.

stick with stock or by an aftermarket...just do not by a yoshimura slip on.

MyIce
11-14-2001, 09:23 PM
i took my whole spark arrestor out on my stock 300ex and it didn't affect it at all except made it a little bit louder:) Ive had no problems since i took it out....

trueblue450
11-15-2001, 07:05 PM
Yeah I did it also. It was a pain in the arse to get those spot welds out, and it made it louder but its still quiet as hell. And I didnt see any performance gains besides the big hole in my exaust.

Scott
11-26-2001, 12:22 PM
I've ran my 300 for two years without the spark arrestor, and my friends 97 300 has had it out the for 3 years until he got an aftermarket pipe. Neither one of us have seen anything negative, no lean mixture problem (it's not changing the flow of the exhaust THAT much, it's just a screen!), no burnt pistons, no blown rings. Also no major hp gains, no free-flow exhaust performance, no 90 decibel exhaust notes. As for a pain to remove, mine wasn't. Grabbed the center "bar" in the outlet of the exhaust, twisted, and pulled the spark arrester out. No big deal. The spot welds cracked real easy. Honda isn't exactly known for their great welds, take a look at your frame.