PDA

View Full Version : What's the best deal you ever found?

Rich250RRacer
01-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Everybody stumbles across an unbelievable deal once in a while, what's the best you ever found?

Mine was on a 250R that I had no intention of buying. Back in 2000, a guy who lived just a few streets away from me had an '88 250R in pieces for sale. A friend of mine went to look at it, and said the guy had a showroom condition '85 ATC70 sitting in his garage, which wasn't for sale. I was really only interested in the 70 and wanted to see if I could convince him to sell it, but I had to show some interest in the 250R to get a look at it. The R turned out to be a decent quad, freshly powdered chassis, fairly fresh motor, and everything to put it together. On top of this was almost $300 in new parts still in the packages such as bolts, brackets, grommets, and a full set of '88 OEM plastic with a new hood and new OEM decals to go with it. He was asking $2500 for the quad (this was when 250R's were still bringing good money). The ATC was exactly what I'd been told, it was showroom MINT, but not for sale. There was no talking him out of that trike. I told the owner I'd think about the quad and let him know if I was interested. A couple days went by and I got a phone call from the owner, asking if I'd give him $2000 for the quad, but I told him I'd have to pass. Two more days go by and he calls again. He told me if I brought him $1800, I could have the quad with all the parts AND the ATC70. I couldn't pass the deal up. I put the quad together and sold it for $3200 a few months later. And in a move I'm still kicking myself for, I sold the ATC for $800. But the money I made on both paid for my first Lonestar chassis, and I kept ALL the new parts including the plastic.

It's a true story. If I can get a scanner, I've got pics of the ATC70. I've never seen another one that clean.

blacknblue#2
01-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Mine was on an 04 450R back in the summer. I bought it with a scattered crank. The boy that had it had no knowledge of fixing it and no money. He always wanted me to help him fix it but i waited him out for a reason lol. One day he come to the house burnt up to ride something. I had a 2000 CR125 that i had 900 bucks in that i offered to trade. He took the deal. 300 bucks to fix the 450 and i had it going. 1200 bucks in it all together. I made a fair profit off of it :D

powermadd400ex
01-30-2009, 10:42 PM
HDusa had they're +2 a arms on clearance due to overstock. they retail for 850 or so i got mine for 220 shipped.

tri5ron
01-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Best deal I've ever found,...... Hhmmm,...

Well, I guess I'd have to say that was when I met a girl who was struggling to make ends meet, working as a office clerk, and miserable in her job.
She moved into my house, and I was soon thereafter, paying to put her through college, and supporting her completly.

She worked very hard, taking no less than 12, and sometimes 18 units per semester, and ended up graduating with an Aerospace Engineering Degree.

About 6 months before she graduated, I figured I had alot invested , and I'd better secure some of that investment pretty quickly, so I married her to keep from letting her get away.

She now makes twice as much money as me, has given me 2 great kids, puts up with my b/s... and even likes riding her quad!

So I'd have to say that's about the best deal I've ever come across.

mittman
01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
1985 dodge ram w150 5.2 318 v8 got it from my uncle for absolutely free. i have got a couple offers on it around 1,000-2,000. I was down town one day getting gas when a older guy walked up to me and said is this your truck.I said yes he said would you be willing to sell it i had one awhile back and i could kick my self in the @ss for selling it. i told him no i cant sell it means a lot to me. he said common i give you 2,200 for it. it was hard for me two say no but i did. This was back when she didnt look so good.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll267/dodgediesellover/thebeast2.jpg

I could of pocketed 2,200 that day and had a profit of 1,800
Other than that i havent been lucky enough to get any good deals.

buck440
01-31-2009, 12:13 AM
i got my 04 400ex for $800 and it had a hmf bakllance pipe and ac nerfs and a ac bumper, here she is now and $3500 later

Old Head
01-31-2009, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron

Well, I guess I'd have to say that was when I met a girl who was struggling to make ends meet, working as a office clerk, and miserable in her job.
She moved into my house, and I was soon thereafter, paying to put her through college, and supporting her completly.

She worked very hard, taking no less than 12, and sometimes 18 units per semester, and ended up graduating with an Aerospace Engineering Degree.

About 6 months before she graduated, I figured I had alot invested , and I'd better secure some of that investment pretty quickly, so I married her to keep from letting her get away.

She now makes twice as much money as me, has given me 2 great kids, puts up with my b/s... and even likes riding her quad!

haha now thats a good deal:D

KXRida
01-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Brand new 2004 ktm 200sx for $1800. Then traded it for a brand new 2005 yz250f. Do free parts count?

I only paid $300 for my WB carbon pro.

cmaxx
01-31-2009, 07:07 AM
WELL I HAVE TO SAY MINE WAS PROBLY MY 03 416EX I BOUGHT 2 YEARS AGO FOR $200 AND SOLD IT FOR $1600.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/wermaxwell/PA120037.jpg

theTman
01-31-2009, 08:42 AM
bought this parts yz125 off my freind for 50 bux, didnt wanna deal with it so i sold it on ebay for almost 500:p needless to say he was pretty pissed

Ruby Soho
01-31-2009, 08:48 AM
i bought a brand new whitebros mx4 for my quad along time ago for like 75 bucks.

also bought a chinese 110 off a kid for 50 bucks, all it had was a cracked frame so i fixed it and sold it for 300

XCpred
01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I got an lrd slip on for 5 bucks and I also bout a 89 toyota pickup (running and driving) for 400 ended up slinging a rod a few months later and sold it for 300.

greenblood01
01-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Hmm.. good deals..

When I was 15 my parents help me buy a 95 Ranger, supercab, 2wd, 4 cyl 5 speed. We gave $2000 for it. I drove the hell out of it and sold it 3 years and 50,xxx miles later for $2000.

I also had a 2001 Mojave that I bought in 8th grade for $2700. It was a nice clean quad, I rode it pretty hard for a few years and ended up sending the motor to CWR and making it a full blown race 330. Well last winter after having it jump time several times and bend countless valves I decided it was time to get rid of it. I somehow got $3000 out of it from a kid I went to school with...

The day I sold the Mojave I bought a 2005 400ex with Pro Armor nerfs, Powerbomb header, LRD silencer, and some other odds and ends. I gave $2100 for it (I worked at a Yamaha-Honda shop) then turned around and sold it in the spring for $3200.

I put my graduation money with the money from the 400ex and bought my 2007 YFZ for $4350 and it was practically spotless.

I also bought a Ninja 250 for $1800 and sold it a year later for $1700.. I'm sure I saved more than that in gas.

Oh, and I only gave $3000 for my '98 F-150 with 130,000 miles on it.

I've had a good deal or two in my day..

elmer91
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
my best deal would be my 2001 400ex. story behind it. It was bought new in 2001 by a friends uncle. The 400 was stolen, and a year later they find it, missing a few things, and then the bike sat in the impound for a year or two. in the mean time, the uncle died, the family got the quad, and just wanted it gone, so i got it for $300. took just over $100 to fix, and now i have about $1200 in it.
when i first got it
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb80/elmer091/PICT7682.jpg

and now, minus the skid plates
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb80/elmer091/e33d6a6b.jpg

trick450r
01-31-2009, 02:58 PM
paid $800 for an 86' toyota xtra crab, 8 inch lift, 35's and the coolest fiberglass stepside bed in the world.

didnt put a dime into it, wheeled the piss out of it, burned out the fuel pump.

Traded it straight up for an 03' KTM 525sx in mint condition.

Beat the **** out of that all summer and fall, then traded it for the ranger in my sig. Got a guy coming to look at the ranger for $3700

I guess i can include my firebird also, paid $5500 because the guy thought the tranny was shot (t56) because the shifter was bouncing up and down. After a quick drive i seal the deal, came home put in a new crossmember mount and voila shes mint. As i learned more about f bodys i learned it is 1 of around 40-50 96' firebird formula ws6 6 speed's without t-tops
Hopefully its gonna be my retirement fund some day lol.

hypersnyper6947
01-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I traded a 02' warrior that was pretty beat that i paid $1100 for, for the quad i have now. I just had to rebuild the top of the motor but it had a lot of mods on it. Then i bought a AC front bumper used off ebay and when i got it it had two broken welds, i wrote the guy kinda pissed about the welds and he returned my money and said keep it. The bumper is still real strong i can jump up and down on it with now problems.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/rear.jpg

01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
ok well you all know about my famous warrior ,1998 with two sets of tires itps and stock both 90% tread came with dg full exhaust and stock and airfilter , well it wasnt running when i got it and paid $1800 for it regretingly b/c i know see 400exs go for $1600!!!1 WELL IT TURNS OUT that it needed rings i riode the piiss out of it for a year and subed it once, well i end up trading for my nice *** yz125, little to say i try to sell it for $2500 a month later[b/c mom hated it , it is loud] well being the blind idiot i am i refused to offers of $2200.00 for it and now im stuck trying to get 1800 out of it :( , lol any one want to trade their 400ex? please??? lol

250r rider 88
01-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron

WINNER!!!!!

Quad18star
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
How about a deal that I found and passed on , then later kicked myself in the *** for it???

It was a 1969 Camaro with a 427 in it. The guy has just finished building the car and it was spotless ... I mean you could eat off the frame , that's how clean it was. He was going through a divorce and wanted to unload the car for $6500. He told me he had another guy comming to look at it that afternoon ( sure they all say that... right??) and I told him I'd get back to him that night. I called him back later that night and he had sold it to the guy that afternoon.

A few months later , I spotted the car at an auction and the guy sold it for close to $20 000.

Needless to say , I kicked myself in the rear and wanted to cry. Never will I pass up a deal like that again.

trick450r
02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
How about a deal that I found and passed on , then later kicked myself in the *** for it???

It was a 1969 Camaro with a 427 in it. The guy has just finished building the car and it was spotless ... I mean you could eat off the frame , that's how clean it was. He was going through a divorce and wanted to unload the car for $6500. He told me he had another guy comming to look at it that afternoon ( sure they all say that... right??) and I told him I'd get back to him that night. I called him back later that night and he had sold it to the guy that afternoon.

A few months later , I spotted the car at an auction and the guy sold it for close to $20 000.

Needless to say , I kicked myself in the rear and wanted to cry. Never will I pass up a deal like that again.

been their man, many times. I've learned that when i go look at something like that, i bring cash just in case lol.

KXRida
02-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
ok well you all know about my famous warrior ,1998 with two sets of tires itps and stock both 90% tread came with dg full exhaust and stock and airfilter , well it wasnt running when i got it and paid $1800 for it regretingly b/c i know see 400exs go for $1600!!!1 WELL IT TURNS OUT that it needed rings i riode the piiss out of it for a year and subed it once, well i end up trading for my nice *** yz125, little to say i try to sell it for $2500 a month later[b/c mom hated it , it is loud] well being the blind idiot i am i refused to offers of $2200.00 for it and now im stuck trying to get 1800 out of it :( , lol any one want to trade their 400ex? please??? lol

umm if you're even getting remotely close to $1800 for it, you better sell. I find it hard to believe you're getting offers that high when 03's and 04's are going for $1600 or less. Something ain't right. :ermm:

Also got a new brake caliper for $2 bucks once.

02-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
umm if you're even getting remotely close to $1800 for it, you better sell. I find it hard to believe you're getting offers that high when 03's and 04's are going for $1600 or less. Something ain't right. :ermm:

Also got a new brake caliper for $2 bucks once.

this was before the economy was eatin so much shlt during the beging of the summer, but yeah im gettin lots of $1300.00 offers .. i think im gonna take one

plus the original owner put over $2000.00 in it, wich was dumb but hes got a lott of money...........................must be nice:scary:

rollie
02-01-2009, 05:04 PM
i got an 04 KLX110 off my buddy for $400, he said it was "beat to s***" so when i went over he pulled it out and it wouldnt start. i offered his $400 and he needed a truck so he took it, it was a little beat up, but with new plastic and a new carb it ran/looked awesome, i havent stoped putting money into it since:p its the one closest to you in the picture by the way