PDA

View Full Version : Quad ideas

midwest honda
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Im asking this question not solely on a hp basis because if i was i would know which one i would choose. I am wondering what you guys think as far as upgrading from a 400ex to a 450r. I know the obvious benefits such as liquid cooling, newer motor design and other features. I dont know if the reliability and ease of use of the 400ex are worth ditching for a faster more modern and sporty 450r. Im not trying to start a war. I am just wanting insight. If i keep the 400ex i will probably put a 416 kit into it to help it kick some z400's i ride with the the ground.

01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
what kind of riding do you do?

midwest honda
01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Little of everything. High speed is great but not all I do. Tight trails. Open crop fields. Pastures. Tracks when i can. Did i mention i like to go fast.

midwest honda
01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Looking at your sig i guess you would have a little bias but you are exactly the person i wanted to hear from. Someone who has experienced both and chose one for a certain reason. Why ditch the 450er. What didnt you like . Why was it worth getting rid of for a '00 400ex.

Oh and how do you like my sig. Pretty much as to the point as you can get.

midwest honda
02-01-2009, 02:24 PM
bump

02-01-2009, 02:35 PM
the 450r does not handle as well as the 400ex and it need to be ridden near full throttle all the time or it will stall..the rmps need to be up. riding it tired me out more than the 400ex because it was not as easy to control. after nearly a grand in suspension and controls, it was close to the 400ex.

as far as the fast riding, i would slow it down quite often and ride with some utes...didn't work too well as i could not go slow enough to keep off the clutch. again it became more work to ride than fun.

maintenance doubles on the 450r. it wouldn't start consistently after warming up. i would regularly sit for 5 minutes while everyone else was down the trail...this can be solved by regular valve adjustments...we are talking every 20 hours, but valve adjustments aren't easy, you have tot take the cam tower completely off to get the shims out...too much work to just ride the trails( i hit a track every now and again too)...

i got tired of being sore and beat up, the bike not starting and spending more time getting the 450r to run than i did riding...i took a loss for my happiness...it was worth it in the end

sprayedgt
02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
A 450r, or any 450 for that matter, will benefit greatly from a front sprocket change. Dropping a tooth in the front will make it much more fun in tight trails with just about the same clutch work as a 400ex. But for the people that don't enjoy/how to work on them adjusting the valves can take the fun out of owning one. I would keep what you have and build it. A 426 kit, head work, 450 carb, and a cam will make it feel so much faster than a 450 for sure.

alberto
02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
I have one of each and I love them both. What it boils down to is personal preferance. Its like buying shoes. Only you can decide on what you want. Both IMO have the same amount of +'s and
-'s. GOOD LUCK

S.A.J
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
i have both and i like the 450r alot more thn the 416...i dont ride tight trails though,other than that i ride pretty much what you do...i would wayyyy rather take a 450r if i was you but thats my opinion

midwest honda
02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
ty saj thats what i was thinking. could spend 950 bucks on a duncan racing power cylinder and another 500 on other stuff to get it to run like 450r in the power department or i could sell my 400 and buy a 450r and put a pipe, hrc kit and cam in it and make it spank a 440ex. That was my thoughts. I regret not just buying the 450r. I thought i was just to much for me. Then i get on the 400 ex and realize it takes a lot of hp to get me going. I am 6'4" 260lbs so 30hp to me feels like 25 if u know what i mean. I was told by a dealer that you have to ride the 450s fast and that you couldnt joyride with them. I didnt understand why but i knew that the 400ex had set an industry standard and would be a good quad for me nonetheless. Now I am just hoping for more but mom says why not be satisfied with what i got. If i would have been satisfied i wouldnt have gottent he 400ex in the first place. I would have stayed with my Recon. :rolleyes: