PDA

View Full Version : spun wheel bearing?

atvmxr
01-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I am upgrading the the DLR tapered bearing setup this weekend. pulled the hubs off and it appears that the outer race might have spun in the hub. is this bad? the outer race seems to have a little slop, like I can move it ~ 1/32" in and out in the hub. on the other hub the bearing race is tight on the hub and doesnt move at all.

:confused:

86 Quad R
01-31-2009, 07:04 AM
i've seen this many a time. i'd suggest another hub.

BERT306
01-31-2009, 02:56 PM
REDNECK 101:

If the bearing isn't terribly sloppy loose in the hub u can "peen" the hub surface.

What u do is take the bearing out and use a center punch and hammer and "punch" a few divots around the hub surface where the bearing would ride at. Then drive the bearing back in, it'll be much tighter!!

When u make a divot like that it actually pushes up the surrounding metal, enough to gain u some surface for the bearing to hold on to when u put it back in.

U could also Peen the outer bearing surface but i'm sure that metal is much tougher than the hub.

good luck

croat1
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
get a new hub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do not peen anything. peeninig is a temp fix and is very dangerous. what ever you do do not peen the bearing. the bearing will fail (break).

another option: get a loctite product made for this proble.

05LSR250R
02-01-2009, 09:07 AM
If you peen the hub itsself do it in four spots. noon,3,6 and nine o'clock positions. Do not strike the bearing it can and will explode!! Loc-tite also sells a product for taking up the slop, any good parts store will have it. It is specifically designed for that use. Or buy a new hub, what year are you needing any way? Hope this helps. Thanx!

Honda 250r 001
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
yep dont do the bearing. my pops had a little run in with that and it shot a piece of metal into his leg. anyway i would just divet out the hub and put what ever loctite you have on the bearing and shove it in. for now. and then look for a hub on ebay.

atvmxr
02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
i went ahead and got another set of hubs... :)

05LSR250R
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Smart choice!

atvmxr
02-28-2009, 12:32 AM
OMG, what a flipping pain in the ***!! :mad: I found a set of hubs, then the seller realized they were 400ex hubs and offered to sell me some worn 250r hubs with no bearing for the same price. passed on that one. then I find a set of fresh powdercoated hubs. Well the pictures made it look red, and when the hubs got here they are bright freaking orange.
so back to the search, found another set of mint 250r hubs... went to put them on tonight and they are flipping 400ex hubs. GD!! for how much $$ I've spent buying used hubs, I could have just bought some aftermarket ones... so I guess I will be pinging and locktite my old hubs for the DLR install.... :grr:

PS anyone need some mint 400ex hubs with new bearings or a set of freshly powdercoated orange 250r hubs? :)