PDA

View Full Version : reverse with no reverse???????

bpfracin
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
alright me a buddy was riding today after i finshed geting my carb halfway back to normal.we climed a couple hills, rode some wheelies, just screwed around while it snowed but somthing that happened that wasnt right.

i need to jet my 440 since im running stock cause when it gets warmed up it wont idle to go since its running lean(i have stick jets) so i was idleing around geting ready to hit a hill but my 440 as usual and roled back like a half a foot and started running backwards like it was in reverse but mine is a 2004 with no reverse .

i have been around log trucks and stuff and ive seen where the motor will start and run backwards and blow smoke out the breather and take air through the pipes but is there anyway possible that my 440 could have done this.

midwest honda
01-30-2009, 10:22 PM
First off i dont know how much the jetting would affect this running backwards. Secondly did you start it and then it just started running backwards or what. Unless your starter is running backwards i dont see how it could run backwards. Your starter would always make it spin the same way making sure it always runs the right way. And for it to just start running backwards all of the sudden defeats the laws of physics.

Please give me more info.

midwest honda
01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
I also think after reading your post that you have solved everyones reverse rev limiter problem. Just make it run backwards and you can do 65 in reverse. LOL sry. After reading your post 5 times you said you started going up the hill. Then it rolled back one and a half feet. Then you hit the gas again and it ran backwards. Did it stall. Did you restart it. Did it run right if you restarted it. Obviously you made it back to the house cause you wrote this post. IF it ever happens again pull the clutch in and let it idle. See if it idles backwards like you were saying. Sucking air in the pipes and exhaling through the airbox. I have never heard of this problem but it is very intriguing i must admit. I have always wondered if engines could run backwards just fine. I would think it wouldnt run right but what do i know.

theTman
01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
did it pop into nuetral

:devil:

bpfracin
01-31-2009, 06:30 AM
alright let me put it where you all can understand. Mid west honda i never said nothing about jets making it run backwards i said that my jets where to lean and when my 440 gets warmed up it isnt getting enough fuel that is what caused it to die

i was goin down a gravel road ideling sort of a incline nothing at all really but my 440 died while it was trying i gased on it then when it died it rolled backwards about a half a foot then it started running backwards

Homerx
01-31-2009, 10:07 AM
I know 2 strokes can run backwards I have seen it all the time especially with small RC engines. I guess the same theroy could apply if you were gassing it at the time you could have flooded the cylinder causing a dieseling effect. ie you flooded the engine and temporarily hydro locked it, but because you were running so lean in the first place the internal temps of the plug/cylinder likely ignited the fuel firing the piston backwards. m2c