PDA

View Full Version : 22" wheels

brandon34r
01-30-2009, 02:36 PM
hey pappy whats up?
Just a quick question for you.
I have chrome 22" wheels for my truck and I am going to get them done in gloss black,and was wondering if you think $50 a wheel is a decent price that he quoted me for.I've never got a rim pc'ed that big before so I dont really know.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Pappy
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
$50 a rim is dirt cheap, either you are getting a super deal or someone is using you for practice:p

I wont touch a rim for under $125

And make sure you get a clear coat and double check the condition of the chrome. You might end up causing issues that you really dont want.

brandon34r
01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
yeah he does really good work..did all dunks old lost creek bikes and did my 450r and 400ex also.I always get a clear coat on everything he coats.
What kind of problems with chrome are you talking about?I am getting them done because one of my wheels is shot as in chrome flaking and pitting.hes going to be blasting them too,so I should be set with everything I hope?

Pappy
01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Well, you wont be able to blast off the chrome, you can get the easy stuff off but not all of it. Then the chrome will continue to loosen and cause the coating to fail.

Why wouldnt he be answering these questions...he should know!

brandon34r
01-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I just talked to him on the phone quick before he closed today and he doesnt do the blasting in house for everything so I didnt get a chance to call the blaster today yet.Although you said I cant get the chrome blasted off,so how does it come off and could I personally do it myself?

hendershot106
01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
you will not get the chrome of yourself without damaging the surface.... i ran into the problems pappy is speaking of trying to powdercoat over chrome.... you cant get the chrome rough enough for good adhesion . the powder will just flake off

Pappy
01-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I've seen chrome "roll back" and the rim or part be completely ruined. I geuss at that point someone could fork over teh cash to have the chrome chemically stripped (reverse of how it is applied) but by then you could have bought new rims:p

I have had some good success doing older arms/swing arm, but I always warn people upfront of the chance. A set of arms that can be recoated or powdered is alot different then a $250 car/truck rim.

brandon34r
01-31-2009, 02:32 PM
ok pappy thanks for the headsup.I will call the powdercoater monday when he opens to see how he has done chrome stripping before so I can make a decision asap!