PDA

View Full Version : please help, fuse problem

theTman
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
dont tell me to search becuase i have, and i am going to after i post this

everytime i go to put a charger on my battery is pops a fuse instantly, i have searched for bare wires, touching wires, i have checked the common headlight problem, NOTHING!

why does it keep popping them!? help! i just installed a 440 motor and want to rip so bad

Which 450?
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
so the battery is dead? Is this why you need a charger?

CJM
01-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Something hooked up wrong or backwards, wrong sized fuse, charger is putting out to many amps.

sc400ex_rider
01-30-2009, 09:07 PM
the fuse is 15 amps the battery should'nt take that much unless its really dead or fryed. start unplugging stuff till it stop. or take the batt. out and charge it then reinstall it and start over. see if it pops the fuse instantly or when you try to start it. see if it pops when you turn on the lights or just turn the key to on. sounds like a dead short, just try to isolate it to the faulty circut. the only bad spot i know off is the wires can rub the frame at the headlights. if you just did a rebuild it sounds like a pinched wire. find that mo-fo. :mad:

JOHNNYRENO
01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
starter wires hooked up backwards.

sc400ex_rider
01-30-2009, 09:19 PM
also if your charging cables are hooked directly to the battery it should'nt go through the 15 amp fuse to charge. that 15 amp fuse is power out to the systems. also you can tell alot by the way a fuse blows. if it exploseds or vaporizes its a dead short if it kinda melts away thats a bad ground or high resistance. sounds like something is shorted to ground or a failed electrical component. try unplugging the cdi, reg., stator one at a time. yes you will need alot of fuses. dont put a higher amp fuse or jumper wire or you will fry your harness. LMK

theTman
01-30-2009, 09:48 PM
:o i found out the problem...and im to ashamed to say what it was

sc400ex_rider
01-30-2009, 09:53 PM
oh no you have to tell me after i wrote all that crap!!!!...... PM if you want.

theTman
01-30-2009, 09:55 PM
:o well i was using a jump pack to get the battery going, and had the + on the - and vice versa...took me 2 packs of fuses to figrue it out, swicth it aroun she she fired right up LOL:scary:

guess thats what happens when you havent had a quad in 3 years:chinese:

mittman
01-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by theTman
:o i found out the problem...and im to ashamed to say what it was

oh common ive been rattling my brain trying to think what would do it. ill come out and say it ive done stupid stuff/ just wasnt thinking at the moment. I hooked up the battery wrong on our jeep fried the solenoid. rode my mountain bike off a pallet of bricks(didnt end well). Mexican sled ridding down a hill climb.(trees hurt)

sc400ex_rider
01-30-2009, 10:04 PM
no prob buddy we all been there so excited to fire it up to hear the thunder. i wish this cold weather would go away!!!!!!!! global warming more like global COOLING

theTman
01-30-2009, 10:10 PM
:o yeah i felt pretty stupid, almost as stupid as i felt when i noticed gas was pouring onto the ground as i realized i forgot to hook up the hose to the petcock

i was in a rush:scary:

sc400ex_rider
01-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Ya, i had a warrior 350 in 93 and i had put in a split fire spark plug (like $7 back in the day) i was messin around and dropped it on concrete. it looked ok so i put it in. well soon after my quad would break up and spit and backfire and junk. so i cleaned the carb twice real good no dirt it still acted up. i thought about the plug but it couldnt be that, not the $7 split fire. it sparked good when i tested it against the head. so i figured it was the stator or cdi so i took it to the local shop to have them test it. well i get a call a couple of hours later saying my quad was ready. i ask what the prob was and they said the spark plug. i was like dam it cost me $45 to change my spark plug. $40 for 1 hour labor and 3-4 bucks for the plug plus tax. then everytime i came in they say "hey whats up spark plug" LOL true story

theTman
01-30-2009, 10:28 PM
yeah we all have little common things slide by right in front of our eyes haha! but at least i know it runs:devil:

JOHNNYRENO
01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
i bought a great car for a hundred bucks, cuz the starter wires were on backwards it did the same thing.

crxjarred
01-31-2009, 01:42 AM
lol on my old blaster i had fouled the plug out too menyt times and it went bad and i payed 50 bucks for a used stator and all it was was the spark plug so dont feel bad cus i thougth the iradum plug was too good to mess up lol but yea