PDA

View Full Version : Weight shaving

Mike594
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Is there anything I can take off the 400 to make it weight less? Are some aftermarket a-arms and swingarms less weight than stock ones? I know there are probably some aftermarket bumpers and wheels that are less weight. I here stories of people relocating the battery. Is that to balance the bike more?

Homerx
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
The rider LOL Seriously after market exhaust is alot lighter than stock. As well as Cromoly A arms, hyperlight bars etc . . Look at lighter tires and rims as well. failing those take out the oil.. sorry couldn't resist. :)

scuzz
01-30-2009, 09:28 AM
exhaust would be the 1st place I would start.

davidw2155
01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Stock tires weigh a ton, get some ITP's - they don't weigh much. Also some carbon fiber rims would weigh less. And like they all said exhaust is the first place I would start.

hypersnyper6947
01-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by davidw2155
Stock tires weigh a ton, get some ITP's - they don't weigh much. Also some carbon fiber rims would weigh less. And like they all said exhaust is the first place I would start.

Actually i heard that hypers (carbon wheels) weigh just as much or more than some other aluminum wheels, there benefit is that the can flex so they dont bend or break as quickly or easily as the others.

BossHogg420
01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
yea my hiper's with gncc are really heavy...but their worth every pound!

Scro
01-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by davidw2155

Actually I think that's backwards. Stock tires are really light since they are 2-ply. Aftermarket tires are mostly 4-ply or 6 ply. I'm not sure why Hiper claims their wheels are lighter. They weigh just as much as Douglas beadlocks.

Like somebody else said, laying off the donuts will help a ton.:p

rcatvrider
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Stock tires definitely aren't heavy.

01-30-2009, 02:32 PM
-Tool kit
-Tail light
-Snorkel
-Airboxlid
-New exhaust
-Convert to kickstart
lighter flywheel
no battery
less electrical
-Shave the fenders
-Smaller sprokets (you can get the same gear ratios)
less chain links
-Cut off the light brackets on the grab bar
-Remove the choke setup
-Remove the parking brake setup/get a new clutch perch
-Downsize tires/wheel sizes

*Most Bumpers other than stock add weight

I have so many ways to shave weight its crazy and you would be surprised how much weight can be freed up. The 1-4 will shave off about 2lbs thats with a empty took kit that much is taken off. Exhaust you will lose maybe 3lbs with a silencer or 5lbs with a full exhaust. The kickstart conversion will take off quite a bit of weight and make the quad faster. Shaved fenders depending on how much your shave them there is some weight to be lost. Smaller sprokets and chain is minimal but you free up a little. Light brackets on the grab bar is very minmal but still little bits of metal weight to be lost. Choke plate is pretty thick, not a lot to be lost but every bit counts and there is a performance gain. The parking brake and a new perch will deffinately lose some. The stock perch and parking brake is clunky. Downsized tires and wheels will save a few lbs per tire/wheel. I know I have more. A lot sound stupid and the minimal ones just lose some body weight which isnt easy if your already fit. If you really want me to go further even engines swaps will take off another 15-50lbs depending on the motor. I think everything I mentioned will shed weight without losing strength or ability. If you are drag racing they make lighter axles and all and you could buy real thin tires/wheels.

sonof_perdition
01-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I understand that this is thread about taking off parts or getting lighter parts but I thought I would add this...

First, get all your hard stats like your weight, quad weight, HP, and torque. Torque being optional as this thread is centered more on HP through weight loss imho.

First,
Add your weight to the weight of the quad
Next, divide the combined weight by the HP
This will then give you a HP to weight ratio.

I weigh approx 200lbs.
My quad weighs approx 400lbs.
Total weight is approx 600lbs.
Approx HP of stock 400ex is 27HP
600 divided by 27 is 22.22.
so for every 22.22 lbs I lose I regain, not add, 1HP, roughly.

In addition to this I have read that unsprung weight and rotating mass is worth 4 times the weight. So if you get a full set of wheels that is 1 pound lighter each, you remove 4 pounds from the quad, but it will act as though you've removed 16 pounds.

DuwBra
01-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
-Tool kit
-Tail light
-Snorkel
-Airboxlid
-New exhaust
-Convert to kickstart
lighter flywheel
no battery
less electrical
-Shave the fenders
-Smaller sprokets (you can get the same gear ratios)
less chain links
-Cut off the light brackets on the grab bar
-Remove the choke setup
-Remove the parking brake setup/get a new clutch perch
-Downsize tires/wheel sizes

Thats right all that little useless stuff taken off adds up, and before you know it you've got a 20lb or more lighter quad.

sc400ex_rider
01-30-2009, 07:43 PM
i got a stock front rim right here and it is very light. this thing cant be 1-2 lbs. the stock ex tires might be heavier than some cause there radials. i wanted to put on some rear maxxis i-razors but the weigh like 15- 16 lbs. also cleaning all the mud out of all the nooks and crannies (LOL) helps alot.

TripleR400
01-31-2009, 12:15 PM
actually, the stock bumper weighs more than some bumpers. my tag bumper is half the weight of the stock bumper

sc400ex_rider
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
ye i put a stock 450r bumper on mine it weigh's nothing compared to the stock ex one. i got it off ebay for like $12 shipped it was new!!! LOL