PDA

View Full Version : School reports/projects

Pappy
01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Now its been forever since I graced the halls of my highschool, but I surely do not remember having the amount of these "reports or projects" that both my kids seem to be having to do. I do remember reports on things....but these are different. They require a regular report on a subject, but a mandatory display or story board that goes along with it. (You know, the tri-fold things a few feet by a few feet)

Cody is finishing up his 3rd one in 3 weeks. If I have to buy more crap for another one of these I will have to charge the damn teacher I think:p

CJ did win 1st place in his school on one of them, but it sure seems to me that they are nickle and diming me to death:ermm: Its not really the $7 for the thing, but the trip to buy it, the time out of the day etc.

Any of you young punks have to do all these things?

(I really dont mind, it just occurred to me that I bet I didnt do as many reports my entire school years as they have these kids doing in a month)

brian76708
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Now its been forever since I graced the halls of my highschool, but I surely do not remember having the amount of these "reports or projects" that both my kids seem to be having to do. I do remember reports on things....but these are different. They require a regular report on a subject, but a mandatory display or story board that goes along with it. (You know, the tri-fold things a few feet by a few feet)

Cody is finishing up his 3rd one in 3 weeks. If I have to buy more crap for another one of these I will have to charge the damn teacher I think:p

CJ did win 1st place in his school on one of them, but it sure seems to me that they are nickle and diming me to death:ermm: Its not really the $7 for the thing, but the trip to buy it, the time out of the day etc.

Any of you young punks have to do all these things?

(I really dont mind, it just occurred to me that I bet I didnt do as many reports my entire school years as they have these kids doing in a month)

just wait till they go to college!!!

deathcorefan2
01-29-2009, 06:29 PM
lol yeah..daaaaaaadd...i need a 3000 dollar laaaapttoppp for schoooooll...

Mxjunkie
01-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I agree with you, I use to get a little frustrated with all of the work I had to do in school! We'd end up running all over for some stupid little thing the teacher would require..

Dad and me called them treasure hunts lol.. :o :p

k4f5x0r
01-29-2009, 06:40 PM
yeapp. i have major one for science this year. written paper and a big display with a 10 minute presentation. mandatory if you want to pass the class. doing mine on global warming.. because my friend is doing his on global warming and we can help eachother out.

for english were doing a research paper starting monday, global history we have one every few weeks and also in science we do a lab every other day.

it sucks :ermm:

ricksmx865
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
just wait till they go to college!!!

I agree!!!!

as if paying for school wasnt enough on its own, I dont even want to THINK about all the money ive dumped in art supplies over the past few yrs $3 a colored pencil that I HAVE TO HAVE!!! and of course the list go on and on and on.......

think of all the quad parts I could have bought:rolleyes:

insaneracin2003
01-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Not only is it the projects. My son is in Kindergarden, he is 6. So far this year we have had 2 Fund Raisers.....in the last 3 months. And they are quite expensive....

631kfx400
01-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
yeapp. i have major one for science this year. written paper and a big display with a 10 minute presentation. mandatory if you want to pass the class. doing mine on global warming.. because my friend is doing his on global warming and we can help eachother out.

for english were doing a research paper starting monday, global history we have one every few weeks and also in science we do a lab every other day.

it sucks :ermm:
riverhead sucks *** :rolleyes:

JJs450r
01-30-2009, 08:19 AM
my buddies off to college in the summer, and hes gettin his dads 06 sierra with 6 inch lift and 35 inch bfgs, built him a 3200 dollar allien ware laptop, bought him a 42 inch flat lcd, all new furniture for his apartment, which by the way his dads covering rent/electric/cable......those are just some things you get to look forward to, know im not saying im old or anything but being 22 i dont really remember doing alot of project and reports like that, im guess it started after i graduated

Pipeless416
01-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
my buddies off to college in the summer, and hes gettin his dads 06 sierra with 6 inch lift and 35 inch bfgs, built him a 3200 dollar allien ware laptop, bought him a 42 inch flat lcd, all new furniture for his apartment, which by the way his dads covering rent/electric/cable......those are just some things you get to look forward to, know im not saying im old or anything but being 22 i dont really remember doing alot of project and reports like that, im guess it started after i graduated

that truck won't last long on a college campus.. you can't have anything nice anymore without somebody ruining it. also, i know they're out there, but what kind of dad buys all that crap for somebody going into college? isn't helping out on tuition more than enough? i would feel so guilty if that were me. :ermm:

scuzz
01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Last night I went to my oldest son's (who's in 1st grade) school for the "science night" which amounted to their science fair. They had kids doing real science projects there testing out serious hypothesis whereas when I was in school it amounted to show-and-tell with a backboard or soda-volcano.

It was also obvious the kids who's parents did their projects. I really liked the misspellings of those who obviously didn't.

Good times...

dehner47
01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
or you all should just do what i did in school.just not do them.haha now kids,if you read this,was just a joke.please dont go and tell your mommy and daddy that some idoit on atvriders told you not to do you work.things were totally different when us "old heads" went to school:devil:

mittman
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
yeah about 2 years ago we kinda got out of the paper and pencil projects (whatever you want to call those) now we mostly do them on our computer with power point. I did have to write like a 4 page paper for English this year which wasnt i didnt like to much because when i use to computer i write nicer lol. its nice to get on the computer at school do your work save it to a flash drive and work on it at home(a lot easier than taking books home). Then when the assignment day comes. you plug your flash drive into the teachers computer(which is hooked up to a screen projector) and talk about your report.

coryatver
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
making those poster board coloring projects is such a waste of time. Useless in the real world we have computers that do that crap now.

KXRida
01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
My last report entailed 18 pages on the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of cervical cancer. I believe I had 17 books sources, 11 electronic, and 3 journal sources. All for a whopping 3.5 points. I got the other 1.5 after I did a 10 minute class presentation in lecture.

My the fun never stops.

Tommy 17
01-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I should post up the project I did for General motors. It was a magnesium casted upper tie bar assembly that replaced the old steel stamped pieces on the chevy volt cruze and orlando.

Not only do i have a 50 page + paper on all the analysis but I also had to do multiple cadd files and all the prework on the project. Things like concept generation, graphs, charts, etc... tons of stuff...

Then to top it off I had to machine the part myself on a CNC machine out of a 100lbs block of aluminum. That alone took 100 hours of man time!

Quad18star
01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Ah the good old days of paper projects ..... how I used to dred them.

But like it was said , wait until he goes to college. I've bought books that were never even used , or we used them for one class .... but hey they only cost $150. :rolleyes:

Tuition = $3000
Books = $1500
Supplies = $1000
Parking pass = $180

No wonder I have school debts

blacknblue#2
01-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Thats why i didnt go to college. Im not sayin college is bad so no bashing i just didnt have the knowledge to go and make it even out. If i woulda went it would be for some kind of mechanics job making fairly decent money but nothing to get rich off of and i would have had school debt to have paid for so it wouldnt even out for me. I went straight out of school into aerospace machining. Im now 22 and made 50k + last year. Like i said its not enough to write home about and dang far from being rich but at my age to not have any school debt it aint bad i guess.

Pappy
01-30-2009, 05:56 PM
LOL...I'm glad I dont have school to worry with, then again I never was much into book learnin' no-how:p

Cody has his sights set on being a Conservation officer or something along those lines, working with wildlife etc. Im sure he will pay his dues:p

01-30-2009, 06:48 PM
those that are younger just wait for whats ahead. I had a 10 page research paper 1 week and a 300 question midterm exam the next. Some will load you up on projects and work while others are more laid back and assign a project once in a while. Usually its english classes where the teachers go crazy with projects and reports. I cant wait until I get my associates.

ZeroLogic
01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Oh good ol high school. I never did the poster boards and all that crap, I use to tell the teachers that I'll write a damn report instead of coloring it.:rolleyes:

KXRida
01-31-2009, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Ah the good old days of paper projects ..... how I used to dred them.

But like it was said , wait until he goes to college. I've bought books that were never even used , or we used them for one class .... but hey they only cost $150. :rolleyes:

Tuition = $3000
Books = $1500
Supplies = $1000
Parking pass = $180

No wonder I have school debts

Wow that's pretty cheap the what I pay for tuition! :eek2:

My first semester I unloaded over $900 in books and have used every single one of them. Last semester I bought $200 book and never used it. Don't ya love that. For my labs, we end up sharing lab manuals, so I took mine back and got my $95 back!

Ruby Soho
01-31-2009, 07:03 AM
i never had many projects, some people i know have and do but for some reason i never got that many haha.

my little brother who's in elementary school has this week where each student has to bring in something for the teacher everyday:rolleyes: and all the soccer moms go nuts giving these teachers stuff.. kind of funny

bustedknuckle
01-31-2009, 09:35 AM
my son picked for his senor project to rebuild my 76 yamaha tt 500 .several late nights it lookes great .started on first kick. lol he couldnt believe i raced it.he always called it a tank.

400EXtreme
01-31-2009, 10:39 AM
projects and reports wouldn't be as bad if they were on something interesting.

Quad18star
01-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL...I'm glad I dont have school to worry with, then again I never was much into book learnin' no-how:p

Cody has his sights set on being a Conservation officer or something along those lines, working with wildlife etc. Im sure he will pay his dues:p

Great career choice.

When I was in highschool being a C.O. is what I wanted to do ... but being young I didn't want to move away from home so I chose a program close to here ..... I REALLY regret doing that. I was going to take Fish and Wildlife Management which leads into a 1 year C.O. training course.

If I was to do it all over again .... I would definately take this path.

When I was 17 I was selected to enter a unique program that we have up here , that allows you summer work with the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR ... DNR for you Americans) . I was set up in a camp 18 hours away from home for a summer with 20 other guys , and we did various jobs that included working in Parks, clearing hiking trails, fish spawing beds , did canoe routes and got to work with a C.O. man what a job .