PDA

View Full Version : 300ex next mod help please

IRISH-RACER-14
01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
ok so i have saved up 450 bucks

i want to buy something that will make my 300ex seriously fast. i already have a slip on hmf pipe, k&n air filter, sprockets changed for more speed? help please

cmaxx
01-29-2009, 08:47 PM
GET A CAM AND PISTON.

IRISH-RACER-14
01-30-2009, 10:15 AM
will that help much?

rooster300ex
01-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by kdigginz
will that help much?

Oh yea it will. It woke mine up quite a bit. If you did the work yourself you could probably get a 400ex carb also with that amount of money.

IRISH-RACER-14
02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
is it a lot of work to get down to the cam and would i need alot of expierence to do this

lt2504stroke
02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
400ex carb
12:1 piston or higher
hot cams
porting and polished

300ex#996
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
nooo. its not a lot of work to get to the cam. all you have to do is un do the 5 or 6 head bolts or watever it is and the cam just rests in the head. then you have to un do the three timing chain guide bolts on the side of the head and slip that out and it comes right off. me and my dad did it in about an hour.

JohnT_98300EX
02-24-2009, 07:11 AM
cam change is simple but get a shop manual, read it, study the directions in the book and that come with the hot cam. A buddy just got one hell of a deal on a cherry warrior that the previous owner had tried to install a hot cam in. The seller had no manual and no directions with the hot cam he bought from a friend. My bud bought a Clymer and followed the directions that came with the hot cam.. Runs like a charm.
Any compression over 11 to 1 may require race gas / pump gas mix.
400ex carb, high compression piston, and a hot cam should put a smile on your face. Good budget level build.

A simple and cheap horsepower helper for the 300 is an oil cooler.When mine was cold it would run into the rev limiter in high gear. Until it got p to full operating temperature. Then it wouldn't hit the rev limiter any more. A 400ex oil cooler helped.

IRISH-RACER-14
02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by JohnT_98300EX
cam change is simple but get a shop manual, read it, study the directions in the book and that come with the hot cam. A buddy just got one hell of a deal on a cherry warrior that the previous owner had tried to install a hot cam in. The seller had no manual and no directions with the hot cam he bought from a friend. My bud bought a Clymer and followed the directions that came with the hot cam.. Runs like a charm.
Any compression over 11 to 1 may require race gas / pump gas mix.
400ex carb, high compression piston, and a hot cam should put a smile on your face. Good budget level build.

A simple and cheap horsepower helper for the 300 is an oil cooler.When mine was cold it would run into the rev limiter in high gear. Until it got p to full operating temperature. Then it wouldn't hit the rev limiter any more. A 400ex oil cooler helped.

so where do i start. i want to start at something cheap? i have already got a k&n and a hmf slip on and i have rejetted

dirtdawg
02-24-2009, 12:55 PM
get the oil cooler hooked up. it will run at a higher temp. with the hot cam and bvigger piston. make sure it can cool itself down. they sell kits on ebay for like $80. you could probably do it yourself cheaper.

IRISH-RACER-14
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtdawg
get the oil cooler hooked up. it will run at a higher temp. with the hot cam and bvigger piston. make sure it can cool itself down. they sell kits on ebay for like $80. you could probably do it yourself cheaper.
i think ill start with the head pipe, then a cam and 400ex carb then oil cooler