PDA

View Full Version : Timing key questions

morrisbeer
01-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Ok, I know that the whole timing key issue has been addressed before, but I couldnt find anything that answered my questions. I was looking at the timing advance keys for a 01 EX. white bros pipe, jetted and uni filter. Two of the shops around here are telling me that the advance timing key makes the crank to flywheel connection weak enough that it is not worth doing it. They told me that while out at the dunes, and having a timing key break, that would suck right? Then I said, but then a broken chain or seized wheel bearing would put you in the same situitation, right? All you guys with the advance keys, have you had any problems with them? I dont have plans to do a bigger bore or high compression piston or anything like that. Just wanted to get your take on this item. Thanks.

ae13291
01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
no not at all, we have even ridden 2 people on my 400ex and no problems. when you tighten the flywheel bolt it will be pretty hard to remove, u have to use a puller to get it out, it doesent just fall right out.

crxjarred
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
i have herd that the key is just for placement of the flywheel and it dosnt take any strain becouse the taper on the shaft is what holds it and if its not tight on there u can break it easy i sheared a couple keys on my blaster by not tigten it up enuff but after i hit it with the impack never had a problem

tri5ron
01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
The Sparks key comes with a puller bolt included. Keep it, and the stock key, in your truck toolbox, along with your other field repair stuff. Just like you would with a tire repair plug kit, chain lube, or extra oil.
I dont currently carry an extra chain, or wheel bearing,... but it wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Improper re-torqueing of the flywheel is the most likely cause of breaking a key. Do it right, and you should have no problems.