PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the bars...

ProspectorJim
01-29-2009, 07:39 AM
So I'm looking around trying to find something that will replace the electric start button, so I can get rid of that huge black assembly with the killswitch, lights, and electric start button. I know various companies make a killswitch replacement, but does anyone make something to replace the electric start button?

k4f5x0r
01-29-2009, 07:41 AM
just get a simple dirtbike killswitch button, reverse wire it. and wallah you have a starter button that isnt gigantic :D

ProspectorJim
01-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
just get a simple dirtbike killswitch button, reverse wire it. and wallah you have a starter button that isnt gigantic :D

I was wondering if that would work, Thank you lol

TNT
01-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Let me know how that works out....looking at the wire diagram that cluster connects two terminals on the ECM, the run/stop switch the ECM wake up circuit. Start button runs power to the ECM. Light circuit connects up to the neutral, head, tail/brake.

ds450racer
01-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I just have my start button a a single button and have had away with the big black box. just switch it off with the key.

TNT
01-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ds450racer
I just have my start button a a single button and have had away with the big black box. just switch it off with the key.

I dont get that......batt supplies power to main fuse to ecm fuse to ignition switch to engine stop switch to wake up ECM, also to main relay switched power on ECM injector, also to signal ECM.

When the engine stop switch is set to stop or ignition key turned off, ECM will turn off after 30 secs then all elec goes off.

Have you hooked up to BUDS since? All the circuits are needed, especially for resetting the TPS/ecm data transfer which only BUDS can do.

Guess what Im saying is the stop switch/circuit is still needed and the ignition switch feeds it. How did you do this?

:confused:

ds450racer
01-30-2009, 07:44 AM
You might as well as have spoke french to me then lol. Ill ask my dad all i know is we took the big black box of the handle bars with all the light buttons on it and replaced it with a grey start button and you just turn the key on and puch it to start.

ds450racer
01-30-2009, 07:46 AM
and is the BUDS the computer system that tells you if something is wrong with the bike? If yes then we have hooked it up many times since then. Had it like it since the beggining of the year.

TNT
01-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Ok cool if you could look at your wiring and let me know how you got to work id appreciate it.....Says right in the manual not to mess w/any wiring but if you got BUDS to work I may give it a whirl too.

Yeas BUDS is the Can AM softwares tells if something is wrong but does alot more than that, like if you need a new ECM you can tranfer data, if you need to recalibrate your throttle position sensor(TBS) only BUDDS can do this.....I just figured out this morning since I am boring my TB and a new butter fly valve I will need to go to BUDDS to set my throttle position to zero....In BUDDS and this system if that is not right everything goes haywire, very important! The rest of the systems is easy not needing buds from what I can tell so far. :confused:

ds450racer
01-30-2009, 08:13 AM
We have still got the key, he just wired it straight in to the loom where the origninal start button came from.

TNT
01-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Oh get this I found on the wire diagramm this quad has a speed sensor in the diagnostic connector(pink wire), you can put a speedometer on the bars with the xtra room.:D

ProspectorJim
01-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by TNT1
Oh get this I found on the wire diagramm this quad has a speed sensor in the diagnostic connector(pink wire), you can put a speedometer on the bars with the xtra room.:D

That would most likely be for marketing to countries that allow street legal quads like the UK. They sell ds's with turn signals, mirrors and speedometers there.

I think you can order them from the can-am store.

Blizzard24
03-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Can anyone tell me which wires are the start button wires coming out of the black cluster?

DGS
03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I also got rid of my switch assy..!! I spliced a jetski stop switch into the wiring harness. I will have to check next time i have my plastics off, i just traced the start switch wires to the connector in the harness... pretty simple and works perfect. I used a jetski switch because its waterproof. I have used the motorcycle ones but they act up if they keep getting wet..!! I will check which wires they are. I can also still plug my stock assy in if i want..

TNT
03-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Red/violet. Mr. Blizzard you can get a test light at a auto store cheap and handy for any tool box it looks like a screw driver w/a sharp point and lighted handle and ground alligator clip, you pierce the sheathing to get to the wire with the pointed needle tip then with the ignition key on push the start switch if it lights walla! Handy when you don't have a wire diagram. :D

Blizzard24
03-15-2009, 06:30 AM
TNT, I have a multi meter here, I know a few people here did this already so I was just asking which wires they are, thanks for the help.

cdoskocil9
03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
So you can just use a bsic kill switch from a jet ski??? I am going to do this too I would really aprreciate which wires u wire into???

Blizzard24
03-16-2009, 04:33 AM
did this yesterday... It is the pink wire with white stripe and yellow wire with blue stripe coming out of the cluster on the 08's. I didnt use a jetski button, but used a YZ Kill button and just coated the back of it with dielectric grease to help with water a little.

TNT
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Weird YL/BL connector to RD/BK to the head light power regulator...

RD/VI connector to YL/RD to starter Solinoid.

Can't find PK/WT anywhere on this 08 wire diagram ...

Oh well glad you got it to work.

Blizzard24
03-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by TNT1
Weird YL/BL connector to RD/BK to the head light power regulator...

RD/VI connector to YL/RD to starter Solinoid.

Can't find PK/WT anywhere on this 08 wire diagram ...

Oh well glad you got it to work.

I will check it again tonight, but I am almost positive it was those wires.

TNT
03-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
I will check it again tonight, but I am almost positive it was those wires.

Thanks I'm taking notes for when I go to do it.