PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams: Stage 1 or 2

jchevy
12-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Plan on running a 10.8:1 standard bore piston. Which cam would work out best for me. Would like to get low/midrange power. Like the hotcams cause they are so cheap. where does the stage 1 and stage 2 make their power?

Juggalo
12-21-2002, 02:04 PM
the stage 1 has more low end

DaveEX7
12-21-2002, 06:04 PM
low end= stage 1

frogburner
12-21-2002, 09:08 PM
do a 11:1 compression, w/ Stage 1 HOTCAM.,,,,, I have mine done,, and it pretty badass...

jchevy
12-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Im worried about how hot it gets here in AZ during he summer so im not sure which compression to run. Probably going to end up doing 10.5:1. I hoping to see a big difference though. Do you have any problems with overheating or detonation? Do you run pump gas?

Do you think there is enough low end to run a 22" tire and gain some top speed?

Does it pull any harder up top with this cam? You dont lose any top end do you?

frogburner
12-21-2002, 09:25 PM
Do AN 11:1 and Stage 1,, You will love it,,,, read my thread I just wrote... (Its alive,,,, My 400 is a runnin SOB))) Go with a higher compression than 10.5....

12-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Is this question gonna out do the "which pipe" one :)

Dude do a search and check out all the good info on the same question.

And yes my sig does say "not so hot" cams. :D

jchevy
12-21-2002, 09:42 PM
Looks like you have got a lot of motor for such a mild cam. For a basic engine i think a mild cam will suit it well.

PS-The search sucks here, you cant type in cam, its to short of a word.

*edit*
the word cams works! ;)

drummer-on-a-EX
12-22-2002, 05:35 AM
I'm running a 10.8:1 compression with a stage 1 here in the Phoenix area and the motor starts to ping after being wide open for extended runs, a mix of av and pump gas cured that problem and it definately pulls harder than stock.

12-22-2002, 10:55 AM
The search isnt the best but if you try diff wording and look around you can come up with lots of threads, trust me I search too.

As for the decision on the hot cam stage1 I was wanting to keep as much bottom end as possible and wasnt ready to go for the hardend rockers etc. and wanted to boost it up a little.

For the record the problem was that the stage1 wasnt the same as speced out in the literature :(

Dave400ex
12-22-2002, 11:06 AM
If you want Low End check out the TC XC Cam.

01_400exrider
12-22-2002, 03:40 PM
I did a stage 2 cam, pulls very hard!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did stage 2 because i went down a sprocket size 14t, and i have a low end slip on, so i have lots of bottom end, the cam made my bike come alive with the 440 kit, i smoke my bros banshee drags, hills, everything!

ridehard4life
12-22-2002, 04:06 PM
ok im looking to do a 440 kit aand was wondering weather i should go with a stage one or two hotcam any help would be great

12-23-2002, 11:11 AM
ok im looking to do a 440 kit aand was wondering weather i should go with a stage one or two hotcam any help would be great

I am telling you guys you seriously need to try using the search on here cause there is a lot of very good info at your fingertips. I dont want to come off like I am being an @ss but a lot of info gets watered down over time from how people remember things they have learned.

There are so many diff cams avail for this notor now that it does get confusing and more so when you consider that so many of them are actually the same cam (eg. Webs 450-451 is resold under so many diff names I cant remember them all, the ones I do WB track cam, GT thunder and the list goes on, but most of them are listed in a post from "have you decked the cylinder")

The diff between the stage1 and stage2 is the amount of lift and duration. Though the stage1 is not as originally claimed it still has less of both than stage2.

TRy to think that when a motors valvetrain is working in conjunction with the cylinder building pressure and fireing the amount of lift allows more or less fuel and air to enter the cyl and the duration determines the amount of time the valve stays open. Now if the valves are open longer it gives the cyl less time to build or keep pressure (compression) and there for will reduce bottom end, but when combined with enough duration will produce a lot more mid to top end.

I know its confusing and I dont know it 100% either but if your compareing the stage1 to 2 the biggest diff is that the 1 will have more bottom end and the 2 more on top. This diff would have been more if they stayed with the orig numbers on the stage1 but since they reduced the lift it changes things.

So basicly you need to determine where you want your power. On the bottom to mid for getting the machine from point a to b ASAP as in XC racing or on the mid to top to keep the r's up for MX or drags etc. You will also need to set up your other stuff for this as well.

VegasEx'r
12-23-2002, 03:48 PM
440 is right, let me throw in my .02 (actually it'll prbably be more than that)

For std. bore, 406, 416 & 425, the Hot Cam will work well. I think that if you have a 440 or bigger, you just don't get enough lift to completely fill the cylinder (haven't tested that, it's just my opinion). I have the stage 2 & a 416, and summertime temps here get up to 115ish. On pump gas it pings slightly at WOT. Using Unocal 100 octane, I don't have any problems. I am guessing that if I removed the Sparks advance key (as Sparks recommends), I would be fine with premium pump gas.

As stated, Stage 1 is more for low end, and 2 is more for top end. If you want to use 22" tires, drop to a 14t countershaft. I have 14-16 countershafts & 38 & 39t rears, & run 14/39 w/ 22" rears. 15/39 is too tall for me, but I am a big guy at 250 lbs. If you are lighter, 15/39 might work. I don't think the 16t w/ the 22's would be good at all, regardless oif weight.

As far as searches go, all of the search criteria (words) have to be a minimum of 4 letters in length, so you can't do a search for Hot Cam, because they aren't long enough. So use a wildcard (*). Search for Hot* Cam* & you'll find all sorts of info. If you want to do a search for a 2-letter word (like TC), try *TC*, just remember that will bring up EVERY thread that has a word with tc in it (like fetch).

Good luck

12-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Dont forget you can search multiple words to narrow down the search results. Eg. cams timing advance etc.