PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts/mods for racing outlaw irs for GNCC/harescramble?

fasterblaster02
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Just wondering if anyone here races their outlaw in GNCCs or harescrambles and how you like it. also what mmods are you doing to them for XC racing.
thanks.

GE4x4
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
I love racing the IRS. I don't get to practice much, so when I do race I don't get tired near as fast as with the SRA. But the SRA will handle better in the tight stuff. As far as setting up, suspension is key. Once you get that set, you have plenty of motor to go as fast as you can. Then would be beadlocks and tires and a good set of bars to your comfort. If you can afford, anti vibe stem is nice as well as a dampner, but not needed to race. But you get less arm pump if you do.

TYLER329
01-28-2009, 04:31 PM
I have been harescrambling the Outlaw IRS since 06 with the 500 and then 07-on with the 525 IRS and love it. Replace the stock swaybar with a chromoly and replace the rear tires with regular Razr's. The rest of the mods are the same for any other sport quad, slip on, intake, nerfs...... but I would have to say the best money spent is on the suspension on any quad.

Evasiveone
01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Tyler hit the 2 biggest points. Change out the sway bar for the chromoly one and change the back tires to the Regular Razr's. The regular Razr's help in the tight stuff and allow the rear end to slide a little better and not push in the tight stuff.

Endurance is the biggest factor in XC racing and the best money spent is for the suspension. The IRS will let you ride faster for a longer time.

SSJEFF
01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
I raced the IRS last year and picked up a 450mxr for this year. I love the ride on the IRS but the SRA is better in the tighter like the other guys have said.

Best mods
1. Custom Supsension Setup
2. precision Dampener
3. Sway bar (RATH or Gallagher)
4. 6 ply tires, I like the razrs rear and razr2 fronts
5. Flexx bars
6. Gripper seat
7. Narrowed XC a-arms (Rath makes some along with others

I have Custom Axis and it rides very well. If I can get it turning better I just might be racing it. All my races are very tight.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/Sponsors/Sponsor-1.jpg

fasterblaster02
01-29-2009, 08:13 PM
OK thanks a lot for the suggestions. I have a few questions, though. Why the chromoly swaybar, are they just for better strength? I planned on getting Razr2 fronts and Razr rears when my stock tires wore out, i just cant justify changing new tires. Why are the outlaws worse in the tight stuff, is it just because the front end likes to push? I race Illinois harescrambles and the ones i do are pretty open, so really tight stuff should not be a problem. Of course it depends on what you call tight stuff, i plan on racing the IRONMAN GNCC again this year. I am only a C level rider and do it just for fun, not for competition, so i hope this quad will work out good for me. I plan on getting an 09 in about 2 weeks.

fasterblaster02
01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
My first mods will probably be a few basic ones- Cycra Probend composite handguards, Pro Armor kill switch, nerf bars (if i can find some for an 09).

Evasiveone
01-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, the chromoly one is stronger, but the real advantage is that it is stiffer. For trail riding, dunes and casual racing the stock sway bar is fine. But for racing conditions where you are always doing high speed corners, the stiffer sway bar allows the rear end to be a little more loose with less lean.

The Razr2/Razr combination is the winning combination for the Outlaw IRS. The standard Razr's on the rear of the IRS allow it to slide a little easier.

The IRS hooks up very well in corners, which is a huge advantage at the more open fast tracks, but in the tight tracks where the speed is slower that hookup tends to push you through the corner. But this is where the low end grunt of the 525 is helpful in popping the throttle to get around the corner.

TYLER329
01-30-2009, 07:19 AM
C@D racing is a good place to call as well. They are the main sponsor for this site and the owner (Colby) actually haresrambles an Outlaw so he kinda knows what works and what doesn't. I just got my carb back from him and he cut down my rear Fox DSC IRS shocks to lower the ride all at a good price. Don't just look through the magazines and get caught by the most appealing tire, shock, and exhaust ads. I have never seen the Rath rear swaybar but the Gallager sway bar is cheap at 85.00, but you will break any of them eventually. The sway bar is a wear item just like brake pads and ball joints. PM me if anybody needs a Gallagher sway bar.

Outlaw6;=-
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Tyer and ssjeff... u guys find the reg razrs work better then razr 2 on the back ?

SSJEFF
01-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw6;=-
Tyer and ssjeff... u guys find the reg razrs work better then razr 2 on the back ?

The regular razrs let the rear slide more. The IRS hooks up so much when you nail it in a turn it will want to go staright so the very agressive razr2s work but I think I like the regulars more. I am gandering about running a higher air pressure in them to get even more slide. The regulars hook very well when I need them to also.

Keep in mind I will be running GBCs this year which are similar to the razrs. I am eager as they have stepped up to sponsor me!! Bryan Baker has bee running them and he has no complaints.

The Rath sway bar is not advertised for the IRS but I personally spoke with Daryl Rath at the dealer show last year about it and it will work. Gallaghers is on mine right now but If I get my funds together I am going to be getting a Rath to try out since it is adjustable with the different leverage points on it and I think you can different torsion bars for it. Rath has some very nice products. I have had no issues with the Gallagher but I have heard of it breaking also.

***Here is free point*** run a cable through the stock sway bar and secure both ends so if it breaks then it will not drop down in your drive train. It will tear a lot of stuff up!!! Gallaghers comes with a tough rope notted on both ends so it is not really my idea. I had a cable left from a garage door kit that I used.

fasterblaster02
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
so where do you buy the gallagher sway bars? and would you run the stocker til it wears out? i have raced harescrambles before on my previous quads so i am hoping the IRS works out good. I have also heard about the over heating or running hot that can happen and wondered if anyone runs engine ice? I have used it before and never had an issue with overheating.
thanks.

TYLER329
02-02-2009, 02:28 PM
You can get them from me (he is kinda hard to get a hold of and I think that HMF has some). These engines just plain run hot. C&D racing has a kit with an in line cooler that works pretty well. 402-614-2508 is there phone number. PM me is you need a sway bar and I can give you Johns number or send you one.

SSJEFF
02-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by TYLER329
You can get them from me (he is kinda hard to get a hold of and I think that HMF has some). These engines just plain run hot. C&D racing has a kit with an in line cooler that works pretty well. 402-614-2508 is there phone number. PM me is you need a sway bar and I can give you Johns number or send you one.

^^What he said^^

If you get pne from HMF it may take a while for John to get one to them. They did not have one on hand when I ordered it and it took about 3 weeks from order to recieve I think. I spoke with John at the Ironman and got his number so now I can just call him.

Evasiveone
02-03-2009, 07:52 AM
When I ordered mine I tried to get a hold of John for over a week unsuccessfully. When I talked to HMF they did not have one but John just lives down the street from HMF and he brought them one the very next day and it was in the mail. At the time it was the last one John had, and had to have more made, so anyone after that would of had to wait anyway for more to be made.

TYLER329
02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
I just talked to John today and he said that he just made some for HMF and he has a few himself.

fasterblaster02
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Well i went to the dealer today, they found an 09 525 irs for me, so i should have it the end of this week or early next week. I will post up pics and my early opinions on the quad.

GE4x4
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by fasterblaster02
Well i went to the dealer today, they found an 09 525 irs for me, so i should have it the end of this week or early next week. I will post up pics and my early opinions on the quad.

Sound good. My dealer has one on the floor and will sell it to me for $7000 otd, but we don't have sales tax. But I'm waiting to after March 1st to see what promo Polaris will have. There curent promo doesn't offer much and ends at the end of the month. Might be worth the wait. They have had programs with 2 yr warrenties.