PDA

View Full Version : 400ex suggestions

Pabst_Powered
01-28-2009, 08:39 AM
i just bought a 1999 400ex and looking for some simple performance adjustments, for as i know its stock besides a pro circuit T-4 slip on and a K&N filter. i heard these should have the valves adjusted every now and then, i dont race just ride trails and the dunes, thanx, i know im new here but not for long

01-28-2009, 09:17 AM
how much do you want to spend?

first off protect it and yourself...for trails, get nothing less than a .250 thick swinger...armadillo and prm are my choices...armadillo is just as good as the prm, but quite a bit cheaper and not as "finished"...but it will be getting beat and is underneath any way...prm, armadillo, ricochet, or pro armor are the way to go for chassis skids...you need to protect that motor...bumpers are almost necessary, but not an absolute...nerf bars are great, but not a requirement...for yourself...a good helmet is a must...if you have a $20 head buy a $20 helmet...i never thought that pants, gloves, and a jersey would make a difference until i rode in some...never will i go without again...boots...are nice, i bent my footpeg once...never knew it until later...had i not had boots on, i would have had a broken ankle...

next would be control/steering/suspension...if on a budget...make a steering stabilizer a first purchase in this category...a stick will suffice unless you plan on racing...i have been happy with my noss machine ones off of ebay...also get a good gripper seat cover...after that get some 450r front shocks...send them off to gt thunder with your rear shock for a revalve to your weight and riding style and get his rear linkage too...it will be like a completely new machine...you will go faster with the "new" suspension because you can keep all the wheels on the ground doing what they are supposed to be doing...you'll also want to consider different bends of bars...the more comfortable you are, the faster and more in control you will be...tires and wheel combos are included here too...a tire can make a difference in the way the machine handles and where it will/can go

performance mods...you already have an exhaust and air filter, hopefully the carb is jetted correctly. so start off with a cam and it can go from there...how much you want to spend will determine what you look into

last is looks...if ya want...make it look pretty like my ex...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/XKJWU-DSC00947.JPG

as for the valves...they don't really need to be adjusted as often as a 450r, i look at mine once a year...
follow this link on how to do it...it is under article at the top of the page for future reference:
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

Pabst_Powered
01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
thanx for the info speedyquad, ill have to make sure the jets are right and be sure to buy skid plates and look into a cam, as of now it already has a dg bumper, dg nerf bars and renthal bars w/ handguards and new razr rear tires which i do feel pretty comfortable with, thanx for all your info

rob_990
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
also for performance mods look into the sparks advance key.it will make a noticeable increase in throttle response and its pretty cheap.

01-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Speedyquad, not trying to pick a fight with you, but why do you always recommend these guys getting fancy shocks and revalves and such. Most people aren't racers and the stock suspension does just fine for most people. Im still running stockers even, and when I ride pretty hard they do feel somewhat bad, but not life threatening or anything.

Pabst,

I would look into the Curtis Sparks advance key. Amazing performance improvement on the 400ex, biggest bang for the buck in my opinion.
Also, if you don't want to do internals like a high-compression piston, you can look into an xr400 head gasket and a stock xr400 cam. It's more aggressive then the stock 400ex and the head gasket will slightly raise the compression. I wouldn't do an aftermarket cam without a high-compression piston, you can actually lose power.

Good luck with the EX, they're good bikes;)

01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
dmc, have you ridden extensively with an improved suspension? night and day difference...

i am all about the cheap and used to think like you...then i followed an equal rider on an equal bike with upgraded suspension and he walked away in the rough stuff...then i had the opportunity to try that bike in a similarly rough section. i could not believe the difference...the next day, i ordered a steering srabilizer and researched shocks for about 3 weeks before ordering elka fronts an a gt thunder rear set up...which is prob. the best upgrade done to either of my 400ex's or the 450r...

but they want suggestions and i give them in the order of priority, or protection if you will, then the most bang for the buck

Pabst_Powered
01-29-2009, 06:53 AM
thanx guys and keep em' coming, I am looking into all of this so keep all your suggestions and opinoins rollin'

Mike594
01-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Where can I get the Curtis Sparks advance key?

Mike594
01-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks pabst.

Mike594
01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Is there a sticky anywhere on this site for installing?

tri5ron
01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
it's not a "Sticky", but my tutorial on the install...
hope it helps.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349499&highlight=sparks+advance

Mike594
01-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Cool, thanks tri. Nice write up for it!